Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-14-2008, 12:15 AM

Default Frogs!

Hi, I've been searching the web trying to find out info about frogs in central AB. I found this site and have been reading and still nothing. Since your outdoorsmen/women...perhaps someone can point me in the right direction...

This is our second summer at Gull Lake and last August and already this year we find small frogs in our yard (grass), like the size of a loonie. My daughter and I have fun catching them, but I'm wondering if they are safe to "play" with. We release them and wash our hands but I can't seem to find an official word.

Many thanks in advance!
Old 07-14-2008, 12:33 AM

What do they look like?
Old 07-14-2008, 12:45 AM

As for frogs, I don't think there are any venemous ones in AB, however washing your hands is always good policy. Great avatar btw!

Tree

Last edited by TreeGuy; 07-14-2008 at 11:45 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:05 AM
Hoochie Papa

I don't think washing is enough. You better amputate.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:26 AM

Given the location and size, they're probably wood frogs.

Other possibilities are chorus frogs

As for safety, from a human's point of view, they're absolutely safe to handle. The only poisonous amphibians in Alberta are toads.

Toads can release white, milky poison from glands behind their eyes, but you basically have to be killing one in order to get it to release the poison (I've only ever seen them do it when dogs chew on them). It's not super poisonous, but it would make you nauseous if you got it in your mouth. In any case, toads are pretty rare in Alberta, and safe to handle anyway, unless you decide to chew on them.

From the frog's point of view, it can be a different matter. They've got very porous, permeable skin, so anything on your hands (bug spray, sunscreen) gets absorbed very quickly into the frog, with bad results. So, if you're going to be handling frogs, best to wash your hands beforehand, so as not to contaminate them. It's also a good idea to handle them with wet hands, like you would a fish, so as not to damage their moist skin.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherGirlsMama View Post
Hi, I've been searching the web trying to find out info about frogs in central AB. I found this site and have been reading and still nothing. Since your outdoorsmen/women...perhaps someone can point me in the right direction...

This is our second summer at Gull Lake and last August and already this year we find small frogs in our yard (grass), like the size of a loonie. My daughter and I have fun catching them, but I'm wondering if they are safe to "play" with. We release them and wash our hands but I can't seem to find an official word.

Many thanks in advance!
Looks like all your questions have been answered and even more lol...

Loonie sized you say..........hmmmmmm

Great fish bait....where legal......and despite what others may say......they taste like frogs......not chicken.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:14 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the feedback.

I have looked at various pictures of frogs and found 2 that look similar, but in the photos there is nothing to compare the size. Maybe they're about the size of a twoonie, but no bigger. The first picture Appletree sent is what I remember them looking like last year, but the one from the other day was paler and not as much dark brown. Have not seen any green ones. But again, the picture makes no reference to size.

I figured handling them too much would not be good for them, and told my girl that the stuff on our hands could make them sick (she's only 5) and then I sprayed down the grass and she set him free in the wet area.

I'm happy to know that they're not disease carrying critters, its' been a real learning curve living out here. The bugs are huge, and way different than the city, I see so many spiders now that it's like, "ah, whatever" except for the really huge weird mothers that look like they're about to burst a million little baby spiders....anyway I did buy an Alberta Bug book to try and make it a learning experience when we find something unusual, which is almost every day!

Thanks again folks for the comments.

BTW the avtar is a totally cropped sunset photo I took last October. (Photography is my new hobby, lots of inspiration around here!)
Cheers!
FGM
Old 07-14-2008, 11:01 PM
TundraBuck

Have a cabin at Gull Lake, they are wood frogs. Mostly smaller ones but I have seen a few the size of my fist.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:23 AM
Gone Hunting

"Great fish bait....where legal......and despite what others may say......they taste like frogs......not chicken."

That is just wrong on so many levels.

Take it from me, frogs are wonderful. Frogs are our friends.

In fact it is a good idea to kiss a frog, expecially red ones.

You just never know when you will find a prince.

A little frog humor:

Times fun when your're having flies.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 07-15-2008, 12:34 AM
Banned

Used to catch bullfrogs in Ontario back in the 60's and 70's....damn...they had some delicious legs on them..

I would love a feed of frogs legs..
Old 07-15-2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherGirlsMama View Post
Thanks for all the feedback.

I have looked at various pictures of frogs and found 2 that look similar, but in the photos there is nothing to compare the size. Maybe they're about the size of a twoonie, but no bigger. The first picture Appletree sent is what I remember them looking like last year, but the one from the other day was paler and not as much dark brown. Have not seen any green ones. But again, the picture makes no reference to size.
They may be immature and not full grown adults frogs.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraBuck View Post
Have a cabin at Gull Lake, they are wood frogs. Mostly smaller ones but I have seen a few the size of my fist.
Thanks! I'll look up wood frogs.

Where's your cabin?
We're at wilson beach.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:54 AM

...love them frogs!!

Check out

http://www.srd.gov.ab.ca/fishwildlif...ibiansalberta/

A good field book is Peterson Field Guides: Western Reptiles and Amphibians. It's not really geared for kids though.

You probably have both nearby. They're very common but I suspect you're catching wood frogs (chorus frogs are way smaller and way harder to catch). The wood frog has a dark mask over it's eyes and ears, also has folds or at least lines running down it's sides (cool thing about wood frogs: they can freeze solid in the winter and come spring thaw out and be fine). The chorus frog is in the tree frog family so it'll have an extra bit of digit on the ends of it's toes.

Note -frogs can carry diseases. They're perfectly safe to handle as long as you don't put them in your mouth and wash your hands before putting those in your mouth (more for kids than you I hope). Also heat stress from a kid's hot little hands can hurt a frog so try not to hold them for too long or too tightly. Have fun!