Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2008, 01:25 PM

Default Cleanup's done.

For any who hadn't heard, a few days ago most of S. AB got I believe F2 winds.(up to 200kph).
We ourselves got off extremely lucky. Our own place we lost 1/2 an alder tree that just grazed the house, my shop only lost maybe a square of shingles, and one of our rentals had a 60+' poplar tree that uprooted land on the roof(not a branch, the Tree).
Unbelieveably, there was minimal damage to the house. The tree landed favoring the slope of the roof, and it's a wartime house; framed in clear fir, and planked with clear fir 1by6. Other than an 8" branch that punched the roof into the one bedroom, you'd never know it happened. Had the tree hit from the side it would have had a much different outcome.
We finished up ours, and helped the neighbors get things under control.
Others weren't so lucky. Some lost their houses, some pretty much everything. There's even a few outbuildings incl. a quonset in the area that're just...missing.
Best part is as far as I know there weren't even any injuries, and hat's off to all the local volunteer emergency services personell and the town employee's; from minutes after the storm ended, everything was organized, categorized, and controlled. The town employee's are still going around picking up the scraps, but everything's up and running. I'm in Bow Island, from what I hear, Burdett and N of here got it worse.
This was by far the worst storm I've ever seen, and I've been through a hurricane.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:32 PM

Unreal man....glad there was no injuries......plain ol' scary.

All the best to all of you.....good to see neighbors helping each other out...doesn't happen enough nowadays.

tm