Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-30-2015, 09:16 AM

Default Newby's at Pine Coulee

Out with crew of three kids (12, 10 n 8) and their Mother, none had ever fished before. Learned several lessons;

My lesson; Newby's have a hard time with spinning gear, slip bobbers, and concept of fishing on a slope i.e. the bottom of the lake which they can not see changes as boat swings on anchor.

switched from slip bobbers, to simple weight on bottom, three way swivel off bottom, that worked way better.

The final refinement was a marker, (slip bobber stop) that if held at water level put minnow at the preferred depth.

Me slow to learn, I was going on my grandkids level of expertise, but I forgot they have been fooling with this stuff since they could walk.

Caught the usual small walley's in 20 to 21 FOW, surface water temp. 70 degrees.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:21 AM

Good for you and hope you enjoyed the trip out. We went to PCR for the first time last month on a nice hot day and got skunked. People to the right, to the left, across the bridge all were landing fish. Us on the other hand.. No no.... We couldn't figure it out Ended up going to a bobber with a minnow/jig head and still came up empty.