Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-23-2008, 11:32 AM

Default newbie fly fisher

and i mean newbie......i "inhierited" some fly fishing gear...and love to fish....but i have never really fly fished.

so...spring is coming.......sometime....any good hot spots around the lethbridge area a guy new the sport should be trying??....i am sure the castle area is great, waterton.....any others??
Old 01-23-2008, 12:03 PM
TundraBuck

Try not to start with trout if you don't have to. They can be picky, especially non-stocked. Start out casting wet flies like nymphs and streamers, and then once you get better at casting switch it up to dry flies. Thats the fun of it after you learn how to cast is learning about all the entomology!!
Old 01-23-2008, 02:21 PM

cool, thanks for the advice....
Old 01-23-2008, 02:34 PM

actually, being where you are, you can get to the upper oldman, dutch, Livingstone, and west castles , even the crow, with ease. go cut your teeth on Cutthroat trout!! they are rarely picky, love to rise to dry flies on warm summer days once the water warms up from the mornings. take an assortment of big bushy attractor patterns, like stimulators, madame x, Turk's tarantula, etc etc.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:45 PM

thanks ABB...my budddies and i used to go spearfishing up in those areas....about time i headed back to do things right!! haha
Old 01-23-2008, 02:46 PM

Alberta Bigbore names a lot of the good moving water close to Lethbridge... Beauvais and Beaver Mines Lakes both offer good still water fly fishing. Try using wooly buggers, pheasant tail nymphs, and gold ribbed hair's ears and you will likely catch some trout. They are stocked in these lakes and aren't very fussy. You'll find that in the spring time nymph / wet flies usually work best. Also, if at all possible I would suggest hooking up with an experienced flyfisher or even a guide. It's amazing how much a newbie can pick up with a few hours with someone who knows what they are doing.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:34 PM

thanks scott. i do have two buddies here that i skate with that are also fly fishermen and have been goading me into it for a few seasons. so hopefully i will be able to go with them.

now i just need to get a nice short shotgun to strap on my back in case yogi makes an appearance hahaha.....

hey do guys usually take their dogs with them when they fish??....just curious....

i have fished lots in my life...but all spincast.....just wondering the etiquette of taking the hound along...
Old 01-23-2008, 03:55 PM

Dan you have a great lake right at your door. Nicholas Sheran on the West Side has some Big Browns and Brookies in there and also has the potential for 20+ pound pike. Best time to fish it is during the ice off.

Another great Lake is Mcquillan and I find that Bead head Leech patterns work the best there.

Otherwise Castle River, Pincher Creek, Crowsnest River, and The old Man river right under the dam are great places to start.

I would have to disagree with Tundraback as to not start with trout. If you start with pike you could develop a mediocre technique because they are so easy to catch you dont need to make a good cast. Infact slapping the fly down on the water can in fact attract pike. Start with the hard stuff and perfect it. This way you are working towards success and developing a good technique.

The best way to start out it to just learn in a field with a little bead on the end of the line. First work on your casting. When you can cast so that the line doesnt tangle and lands straight bring out a hoola hoop. Once you can cast and land it in the hoola hoop from 30 or 40 feet bring out somthing smaller and smaller until you can cast and land it inside a tea cup saucer. Once you can do that you will be able to put the fly right where you want it.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:55 PM
KyleM

I would agree to start with a little more advanced species. I fished for Browns at home, I know they can be pretty grouchy and Pike are far to easy....I would suggest starting with some bows.

A few tips.....

Start with a heavy line and a longer rod, its tough to learn with short small weight creek rods. It tends not to spook the fish, just use a longer tapered leader with a decent sized tip (I use #4 Stren @ a 3' length)
If you are using older line and dont wish to purchase new stuff, go over it with a cloth and some WD-40....this helps take off some of the hardened algae and weed particles that get trapped on the line.

Dont get lazy! Always practice good technique, 10-2 on your casting form never hurts (I still like to get back to basics once in awhile when fish arent seeing things my way). Always work upstream.........I know that should be common knowledge but its far more important when flyfishing.

Finally, match the hatch.
You can go out and buy a hatch booklet for your area at any local fly retailer. Fish will always bite on wooly buggers and leech patterns but for those tough days, you will need to match whats hatching below the surface.
I would recommend buying a stomach pump...its important that you get a decent lesson on using it if you plan on releasing your catch because they can be fairly stressful for the fish.

Its definaly a great way to relax in the summer.....even if you arent catching.
I always bring a few good cigars, the smoke helps keep the bugs away.

Good luck!
Old 01-23-2008, 06:33 PM

i had no idea NS lake had trout in it...cool..thanks...
Old 01-23-2008, 07:33 PM

Default St marys

Dan.... you have been given some great rivers suggestion in the south, but don't forget about the best keep secert in southern Alberta when it come to big trout in the rivers, i am talking about the St marys below the dam at Spring Coulee, it is a catch and release river for trout but you will catch some 10lbs plus rainbows.... give me a phone call... i"m in the book... we will have to hook up this summer for a day on the river

PS. you can come to Ryan, but SHEEEEE , don't tell anyone else...

Jim
Old 01-23-2008, 08:08 PM
jrs

All you need is attractor patterns, Crowsnest River above the falls, Dutch Creek, Racehorse Creek, Lynx Creek, Beaver Mines Lake, Chinook Lake, Butcher Lake, the higher mountain lakes (there's a bunch in the hatchery list)
just to name a few spots. These are among the best creeks in Alberta for fish numbers and size (there's creeks with more fish and creeks with bigger fish but not many that do both). These creeks do not require much experience, i took a few new fly fishers out last summer (ranging from age 11 to 16, about a dozen kids in all) and all were catching fish consistently after very little instruction. You can get away with some sloppy casting and big flies that are easy to see (size 12 cutthroat candy, Adams, stimulator etc). I'd say even on the lower Crow and Oldman I've only encountered "picky" fish once or twice in my last 20 or so trips.

If i could choose to fish any area in the province every day off I'd always be down there. Sure the Athabasca and McLeod basins have some good fish but nothing like the creeks down there. Good luck! Its a great area.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter1234 View Post
Dan.... you have been given some great rivers suggestion in the south, but don't forget about the best keep secert in southern Alberta when it come to big trout in the rivers, i am talking about the St marys below the dam at Spring Coulee, it is a catch and release river for trout but you will catch some 10lbs plus rainbows.... give me a phone call... i"m in the book... we will have to hook up this summer for a day on the river

PS. you can come to Ryan, but SHEEEEE , don't tell anyone else...

Jim
seriously?? why wasn't i fishing there as a kid instead of wasting my time at the spill gates!!!!