Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-20-2012, 01:52 PM

Default McLeod River (Edson)

I'm currently working in Edson and will be for the next few years until construction of the new hospital is built. I will be spending a good portions of my time in Edson and would love to know where to go fish.

I have no problem doing the required hiking to find spots, but if someone can point me in the right direction that would be great.

I fly fish and would like to know more about the small-medium size streams in the area. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to talk about it freely.

also would be looking for someone to tag along with after work.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:01 PM

head west towards jasper about 2 km then turn left towards rob. Theres a few creeks to fish down that road. Also the creek that runs through edson has some trout in it to.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:12 PM

Hy -16 take the Hargwen road cross tracks take left and stay right then drop in river valley meet fence park and walk left to river and walk up or down also put your sink on and do some minnow patterns or white fish patterns on the bottom .. i have fish it 10 months of the year

Food for Thought
David
Old 03-20-2012, 02:35 PM
Banned

There are some great grayling creeks around you. My favorite is a meandering beaver meadow stream close to Hinton.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:46 PM

millers lake is close and has some nice size rainbows. leach pattern, back swimmer. there are also some browns roaming around in there. jackfish lake is also close and there are lots of small to medium size pike that are easy to get on the fly. mcleod river has just about every kind of fresh water fish in it, any backwater or deeper spot u find will produce something. (big eddy, rosever farry, rosever gravel pit, peers bridge, golf coarse rd. back waters, are all populer spots that are accsesable by car, and can be found with a bit of reaserch. white fish will be really good soon in the river. and millers produces the biggest rainbows around ice off. if u wanna travel, south on the robb hwy i can think of about 15 spots right off the hwy from edson to robb.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:08 PM
jrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHUNT View Post
head west towards jasper about 2 km then turn left towards rob. Theres a few creeks to fish down that road. Also the creek that runs through edson has some trout in it to.
x2, some great lakes down Robb way as well. Don't overlook the McLeod either. Just remember its all catch and release for the Atha-bows as of this year.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
Hy -16 take the Hargwen road cross tracks take left and stay right then drop in river valley meet fence park and walk left to river and walk up or down also put your sink on and do some minnow patterns or white fish patterns on the bottom .. i have fish it 10 months of the year

Food for Thought
David
What the name of it? not many rivers or creeks open 10 months of the year in that area.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby87 View Post
What the name of it? not many rivers or creeks open 10 months of the year in that area.
Most open up mid June, cannot wait.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSH View Post
Most open up mid June, cannot wait.
I know that
Old 03-20-2012, 06:56 PM

Yep ..years ago .. i am old ..lmao.. in AprilPicture 160.jpg 1978 Mcleod allmost took my life in the old chest waders .or maybe it was my hair;;;. sill get a cold rush just thinking about how close i was and being all alone.. fished RMWF and Rainbows most but bulls and grayling added to the spice and lower pike and walleyes suckers.. the winter holes some are open up here for about 10 months on some years long time ago,, I still have my old notes on that river.. i realize you have too throw back Athab Rainbows this year and agree that numbers are down..we still fish the JPN Park Athab..

David
Old 03-20-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
Yep ..years ago .. i am old ..lmao.. in AprilAttachment 49175 1978 Mcleod allmost took my life in the old chest waders .or maybe it was my hair;;;. sill get a cold rush just thinking about how close i was and being all alone.. fished RMWF and Rainbows most but bulls and grayling added to the spice and lower pike and walleyes suckers.. the winter holes some are open up here for about 10 months on some years long time ago,, I still have my old notes on that river.. i realize you have too throw back Athab Rainbows this year and agree that numbers are down..we still fish the JPN Park Athab..

David
I first fished it in 1980 but my hair was shorter than yours..lol

Anyway,back then we could use bait on barbed hooks and we kept the odd Dolly...oops..I mean Bull trout for the pan...
Old 03-20-2012, 07:20 PM

Dont forget that north of town, the Emerson Lakes rd. is known as Alberta's other trout highway.

k
Old 03-20-2012, 07:32 PM
Banned

Early to mid 60's

People from all over North America would go into the coal branch and catch fish and can them in jars on site. By the late 60s things were getting worse and worse up to now when there are hardly any fish left (on a comparative basis) something was done. The regional biologists at the time were not to be blamed for this fiasco. All the fishing regulations came out of the Deputy Minister's office, and remain so to this very day.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHUNT View Post

locate the mitchell, embarras, and erith on the map. walk them and explore, some great little creeks and rivers. use the logging roads and pipelines and get off the beaten path. a quad comes in handy in that country. fish hares ear and prince nymphs and you'll catch all the grayling and athabasca's you want. for the most part smaller fish but lots of fun. take a hike into lovett lake as well, there's some nice rainbows to be had in there. fish olive leech patterns. more and more grizz bear showing up around there as well, keep your head up. i miss that area. a link for some other options to check out.

http://www.townofedson.ca/municipal/...B?OpenDocument

Dace
Old 03-20-2012, 07:54 PM
Banned

Buy the book "Exploring the Historic Coal Branch" by Daniel Kyba and Jane Ross. It is published by Rocky Mountain Books

You will save a lot of time after reading this publication.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:55 AM

All depends what you after and the type of fishing you want to do.
Send me some specifics and I will give you some suggestions.
The River and the area has it all in terms of species.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:20 AM

Default mcleod river

try down from the ferry there is a good run by the steep bank for whitefish. it is good in the late summer/fall.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:00 PM

There is a really informative book called "Alberta's trout highway", you can get it from most fly fishing shops or order it online. It covers alot of alberta streams and access points to get you to the fish fast.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:34 PM

I used to like to fly fish the Upper McLeod... such an interesting fishery.