Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-19-2008, 12:53 PM

Default Newbie Needing Some Help

Hey, I moved to Calgary area last year, fished for Salmon in Chilliwack when i lived in BC with friends a few times. Now im here in Alberta and would like to do some casual lake/stream fishing in the summer.

I have no idea what i want to catch or use for gear?

This is what i know, I dont have a boat so most fishing will be done from the bank, I live East of Calgary and would like to fish in the area.

Need some tips on what size/weight rods and line i should be looking at, and what to look for in a reel? Also some tackle help?

Thanks!

Mike
Old 04-19-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeelliot View Post
Need some tips on what size/weight rods and line i should be looking at, and what to look for in a reel? Also some tackle help?

Thanks!

Mike
Hey Mike - welcome to Calgary.

Are you speaking of flyfishing?
East of Calgary you are looking at mostly pike, and walleye reservoirs. Trout can be found as well. Browns and Rainbows mostly.
Would you be looking at a few rods? Did you bring any rods / tackle with you from B.C.?
Old 04-19-2008, 01:31 PM

Im not sure? Is that the best method in this area? I have never done any fly fishing.

All i have is an old lake trout rod with a spining reel, i beleive its a Canadian tire Shimano combo or something....
Old 04-19-2008, 01:56 PM

First question how far east of calgary are you?
Second how far are you willing to travel?
Third what type of fish do u want to target the most?(that will help many of us help you beable to pick out proper gear and setup for that type of fish)

AKA MAVERICK
Old 04-20-2008, 02:57 PM

good area for pike - if your used to using the larger gear, this would be a good place to start. Depending on the size of your gear, you can pick up a new rod/reel (spincasting) package for 60-80 bucks that would be suitable for pike. Lots of places east of Calgary to go. Crawling Valley, Travers Reservoir, McGregor Reservoir, Lake Newell etc. Best to get your fishing licence first, then check the regulations for listings in your area. Barry Mitchells guide is also sold everywhere, and it is a great guide for the beginner.

Lots of techniques and strategies for pike, Google is a valuable resource. Doesn't matter where in the world you are, fishing for them is basically the same. And this time of year is usually great for pike (check the regulations for when the bodies of water open) They are usually very eager to bite...

Last edited by ULTRAlite; 04-21-2008 at 10:22 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-20-2008, 07:54 PM

30 mins east of CGY. Will travel 2-3 hr radius, looking for something easy to catch so the wife and i can have some fun and learn about fishing.

Dont care about eating it or not, catch and release is fine. Not looking to dump any more then a few hundred bucks to see how we like it.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:06 PM
jrs

Twin Valley Reservoir, lots of pike. Traverse Reservoir, pike, walleye, whitefish, perch, burbot. Pine Coulee Reservoir, Walleye, burbot, odd pike. Chain Lakes, tiny hatchery rainbows. Little further you got Keho, Alberta record pike, tons of whitefish, few jumbo walleye. McGregor, everything the other reservoirs have plus the odd giant rainbow and brown. Lots of additional good fishing in that area. There's always the Bow River as well, you could try 00 gold len thompsons and you should catch a few browns and rainbows.

For gear, go to Canadian tire, drop $30-50 and get yourself a 6'6'' or so medium action spin combo, rig up with 8-10lb line. Buy an assortment of spoons, jigs etc. That will catch you pretty much anything, great combo for fishing from the shoreline. Also buy a Barry Mitchells fishing guide, it won't lead you wrong.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs View Post
Twin Valley Reservoir, lots of pike. Traverse Reservoir, pike, walleye, whitefish, perch, burbot. Pine Coulee Reservoir, Walleye, burbot, odd pike. Chain Lakes, tiny hatchery rainbows. Little further you got Keho, Alberta record pike, tons of whitefish, few jumbo walleye. McGregor, everything the other reservoirs have plus the odd giant rainbow and brown. Lots of additional good fishing in that area. There's always the Bow River as well, you could try 00 gold len thompsons and you should catch a few browns and rainbows.

For gear, go to Canadian tire, drop $30-50 and get yourself a 6'6'' or so medium action spin combo, rig up with 8-10lb line. Buy an assortment of spoons, jigs etc. That will catch you pretty much anything, great combo for fishing from the shoreline. Also buy a Barry Mitchells fishing guide, it won't lead you wrong.
I could not agree more nice info. And Barry Mitchells mag is worth its weight in gold for the new and experienced angler. Good luck to everyone this coming open water season.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:56 AM

Default !!!

hey mike!!!
welcome!!!!
you see that huge blue ribbon connecting calgary and the mountains??!??
seriously, the BOW RIVER is a world class fishery.
people get into 5-10lb trout right in town.
one of the best rivers around. well worth your time!!!
cheers, gw
Old 04-21-2008, 06:47 PM

Thanks for the Tips!
Old 04-21-2008, 07:01 PM

Hey Mike
If you want some easy productive fishing near you from shore try Lake Chestermere along the rocks by the bridge or the canal inflows and outflows,There's lots of small pike to 60 cm there, and the occasional lunker
Old 04-23-2008, 07:06 PM

For sure! Also looking at Eagle lake, the Bow by carseland, McGregor, Travers res, liitle bow lake res, clear lake, newell lake, all easy drives for me.

picked up a 6'6" Rod and reel at Can Tire for Half off for $39 and some 10lbs line. Also grabbed Barry Mitchells Alberta Fishing Guide.

Now, stupid question time, do you use swivels and clip lures onto them, or is it best to just tie them on?

Also when your using spoons, wigglers, spinners, plugs ect
Do you just cast and reel in? do you need weights? floats?

Thanks for the tips so far!
Mike
Old 04-23-2008, 09:07 PM

for pike fishing i would use steel leaders and if you just cast plugs, spoons, spinners,you usually wouldnt need any weights and for trout i would just tie the hooks on.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:45 PM
jrs

Yup, buy steel leaders for pike. For trout in rivers i still use a snap swivel (for spoons and spinners). Gives better action and in the case of a pesky old pike hitting the lure improves your chance of not getting broke off. Good luck, let us know how it goes. Early in the season, reeling in fairly fast with flashy lures will produce, maybe slow it down as the season progresses (jigs, rapalas), not always important but I'm sure you'll figure it out.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:25 PM

Default Here Fishy Fishy Fishy Fishy!

Floats are usually used as a strike indicator for small bait's or artificial bait imitations; flies, worms, baitfish are some. The float is good because it can carry a small fly on the end of a spinning rod and reel combo, to get more distance when casted. It can also float your lure downstream into a pool when fishing a river, when using flies for instance.

When casting spoons or spinners, you can change the speed of your retrieve, the amount of time you let the lure sink after a cast, anything works really....dependant on conditions of course

One of the best parts about this sport is that there are an infinate amount of options when it comes to catching fish. Try everything, always staying within the legal regulations of your sport, and see what produces results. Being new to fishing is not a bad thing, you are free to try unbiased ideas as far as; your lure setup, retrieve, depth, time, line, size, location... the list is endless. I have often fished alongside many anglers who are all fishing the same spot, using the same lure/bait/fly and everyone was catching fish. On the contrary, I have been in this same situation, where the only guy who caught the fish was using something different than everyone else....This is what I mean when I mentioned conditions.

Grab a Regulations book, and look up spots to fish in a desired area you are visiting. Read about the locations and the fish available, this will help you target them, and with the size and quantity limit you can determine the general status of that spot as far as the fishing goes. This will also gain the respect of your fellow anglers who also work on conserving, and improving our fisheries so that many more people like yourself can discover the same thrill we all experience when the big one bites!

Good Luck and lets hear some good fish stories!
Old 04-30-2008, 06:32 PM

Thanks guys.

Was at Wholesale Sports Saturday buying shotshells, so i also spent about an hour in the fishing section and i picked up a new tackle box, leader, swivels, and an assortment of lures, and other odds and ends.

I have the Regulations book already.

Im pretty much ready for May 8th