Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-16-2012, 07:37 PM

Default Wiau

has anybody been out on Wiau lake yet this year, how thick is the ice, what condition is it?
Old 12-16-2012, 08:07 PM

if people had any smarts this lake would never have been mentioned on this forum an it wouldnt have 300 trucks on it every day till march 30...good job to the guy who opened his yap an ruined yet another good lake...or soon to be ruined...
Old 12-16-2012, 08:26 PM

delete this thread!!!! I heard it winterkilled bad, so no point in even talking about it ...

PS, great first post!
Old 12-16-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman160 View Post
if people had any smarts this lake would never have been mentioned on this forum an it wouldnt have 300 trucks on it every day till march 30...good job to the guy who opened his yap an ruined yet another good lake...or soon to be ruined...
You know why these lakes get hit so hard is because the secret gets out on one or two of these new lakes and everyone hits them hard,which is their right.
If we give the names out to a whole bunch of these lakes the odd one won't take such a pounding. I know that would be tough for some to do but it would work to take the pressure off single lakes. So let's divide up these 300 trucks this year and see what happens.

If we get some positive reponse I will throw in a quality lake if others will

Just a thought boys and girls.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan View Post
You know why these lakes get hit so hard is because the secret gets out on one or two of these new lakes and everyone hits them hard,which is their right.
If we give the names out to a whole bunch of these lakes the odd one won't take such a pounding. I know that would be tough for some to do but it would work to take the pressure off single lakes. So let's divide up these 300 trucks this year and see what happens.

Well said
Old 12-16-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:

Old 12-16-2012, 10:10 PM

if i was you i wouldnt give away your secrets...or itll be another tent city an pails of fish leaving daily..i have some phenomenal lakes i fish some took a chainsaw an some blood an sweat to get into but well worth it an ill never tell a soul not even some of my best buddies..our quad track was one of 3 we saw at the end of march an hope it stays that way..how much fish can a guy really eat.i bet alot gets forgotten at the back of the freezer an get thrown in he bait barrel yrs down the road.alberta fisherman are like locusts..move from lake to lake cleaning them out yet everyone bitches how terrible the fishing is.keep yur secrets to yourself
Old 12-16-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:

while i agree with part of your post, what i dont agree with, is the 90% of this forum that does No leg work, hasnt contributed a quality fishery more importantly doesnt contribute anything to this forum besides maybe a "nice fish" every now and then. On a public forum, you cannot dictate who will read what. You dont know who's staring into their computer screen reading your information someone has just openly blabbed about.

I have had quite a few conversations with members via PM about quality lakes,rivers,creeks and what not. Which is where these kinds of things should be left. Because you simply do not know who is reading your information!

Chances are most places that we as fisherman have found out about, are probably through buddies or through people who've actually done the leg work. While you might be trusted by those individuals, when you blab openly, thats not very "polite" i guess the word would be, and i guarantee 99 percent of us, wouldnt think twice about how the first guy would feel, although i know a couple of people, and those people are my best fishing buddies. I am personally peeved when ive done research and work to find certain areas, to bring a buddy in, to share the good time with, then they seem to claim it as their own, telling guys at their work, public forum, even bringing other people in without me. There needs to be some give and take amongst fisherman, more so fishing buddies.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:28 PM

Some people that are friends of my son were up last week. Very bad ice conditions. Two feet of snow, 8 inches of ice and 5 to 6 inches of flood water with one ince of ice on top of the flood water. I don't care how good the fishing is I'm staying by the fireplace under those conditions.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
Some people that are friends of my son were up last week. Very bad ice conditions. Two feet of snow, 8 inches of ice and 5 to 6 inches of flood water with one ince of ice on top of the flood water. I don't care how good the fishing is I'm staying by the fireplace under those conditions.
that is a true story was there last weekend conditions not favourable.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:29 PM

300 truck idea and spread out those 300 by disclosing all the hotspots in alberta openly on here is just ridiculous! Try 300,000 people that just use a quick google search to go fish a hot spot, and a year or two later, it is destroyed...
Old 12-16-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:

I like your join date. (positive response) Can you tell me where you're finding good fishing right now? What are you using? How deep? GPS coords?
Old 12-16-2012, 10:34 PM

Default First Post

It was the guys first post on the forum, cut him some slack.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetchimo View Post
It was the guys first post on the forum, cut him some slack.
maybe under this new name...... BTW, That lake went from hero to zero in a heartbeat
Old 12-16-2012, 11:10 PM

What I think is funny is the guy didn't say anything to tip people off about the lake, but all the people complaining about how the lake will be over run with people sure did
Old 12-17-2012, 12:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
if i was you i wouldnt give away your secrets...or itll be another tent city an pails of fish leaving daily..i have some phenomenal lakes i fish some took a chainsaw an some blood an sweat to get into but well worth it an ill never tell a soul not even some of my best buddies..our quad track was one of 3 we saw at the end of march an hope it stays that way..how much fish can a guy really eat.i bet alot gets forgotten at the back of the freezer an get thrown in he bait barrel yrs down the road.alberta fisherman are like locusts..move from lake to lake cleaning them out yet everyone bitches how terrible the fishing is.keep yur secrets to yourself
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
maybe under this new name...... BTW, That lake went from hero to zero in a heartbeat
Quote:
Originally Posted by codywf View Post
What I think is funny is the guy didn't say anything to tip people off about the lake, but all the people complaining about how the lake will be over run with people sure did

Hahaha so true,

If it wasn't because of all the guys criticizing the OP, it wouldn't be obvious to me and the internet hordes that the lake is full of jumbo perch.

Don't blame the op.

Blame yourselves.

Hilarious

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=122377

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=138526

BTW, I fished WIAU lake for limits of JUMBO PERCH before it was cool, and before the dodge dualities and hamburgliar
Old 12-17-2012, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin'fool View Post
Nice.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
while i agree with part of your post, what i dont agree with, is the 90% of this forum that does No leg work, hasnt contributed a quality fishery more importantly doesnt contribute anything to this forum besides maybe a "nice fish" every now and then. On a public forum, you cannot dictate who will read what. You dont know who's staring into their computer screen reading your information someone has just openly blabbed about.

I have had quite a few conversations with members via PM about quality lakes,rivers,creeks and what not. Which is where these kinds of things should be left. Because you simply do not know who is reading your information!

Chances are most places that we as fisherman have found out about, are probably through buddies or through people who've actually done the leg work. While you might be trusted by those individuals, when you blab openly, thats not very "polite" i guess the word would be, and i guarantee 99 percent of us, wouldnt think twice about how the first guy would feel, although i know a couple of people, and those people are my best fishing buddies. I am personally peeved when ive done research and work to find certain areas, to bring a buddy in, to share the good time with, then they seem to claim it as their own, telling guys at their work, public forum, even bringing other people in without me. There needs to be some give and take amongst fisherman, more so fishing buddies.
Ya I think I was dreaming. sounded good though.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
I like your join date. (positive response) Can you tell me where you're finding good fishing right now? What are you using? How deep? GPS coords?
Am I missing something here? My join date?
Old 12-17-2012, 07:18 AM

Hmmmm....very very interesting...anyone care to pm me directions to it...much easier than google earth
Old 12-17-2012, 07:33 AM

I don't go to lakes I can't pronounce.....that why I choose to go to Hasse instead and fish for jumbos

Not jumbo perch.....I mean the ladies are jumbo....they are fantabulously enormous, so you know the ice conditions at Hasse are top notch!

LC
Old 12-17-2012, 07:36 AM

The best thing is the response to these posts....most guys would skip over a post about Wiau if no one replied to it.

You guys crying about it now have really sparked peoples interest because of your protectionism.....think about it.

If you would let the sleeping dog lie.....then no attention would be drawn to the lake. Now that you have "protected it" and slammed the OP.....people are going to find the lake.

.....can I play poker with you guys?....I will just wait for you to tell me what you have in your hand.

LC
Old 12-17-2012, 07:43 AM

Lets hope the conditions stay the same for the remainder of the year and truck access is limited. The lake will see a tenth of the pressure if people have to put in a bit of effort by taking quads or sleds into the lake.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:59 AM

Pretty far from edmonton...
Old 12-17-2012, 08:48 AM

Goin' to Wiau...
Old 12-17-2012, 09:12 AM

This forum help hunters, camper, and just plain old outdoorsmen but technology and communication does not help our fishing. It in fact kills it. This forum is terrible for alberta lakes! IMHO

Savage LTWT Hunter 111 - 6.5x284 Norma
Old 12-17-2012, 09:23 AM
Banned

Lol,, Edmonton boys complaining that Wiau is to busy lol.. There are us local boys that have been keeping that place a secret for over 30 years.. YOU ARE THE PROBLEM..
Old 12-17-2012, 09:35 AM

lots more lakes like it that will never see the traffic that it does because of access! Get out and explore some instead of begging people for a good spot!
Old 12-17-2012, 01:20 PM

what's better folks North or South side of the lake ?
I would like to head out there this weekend with family, friends and two labs
Old 12-17-2012, 01:31 PM

Simple solution.

Don't keep your limit, limit yourself.