Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-17-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Lol,, Edmonton boys complaining that Wiau is to busy lol.. There are us local boys that have been keeping that place a secret for over 30 years.. YOU ARE THE PROBLEM..
Respectfully Walleyes its the "locals" that ruined it guys running every morning and pulling out a hour later with there limit 5 times a week not the guys that drive there a couple times a year.

I do agree that people should have been tight lipped but then again thats how 99% of people found out about it .....and feel it was "there" honey hole.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:51 PM

There have been entries for several years by several people on this forum alone. And if memory serves me correctly several hundred trucks out there for a long time. That's a lot of horse out of the barn. I'm thinking the lake's already popular enough that people 's interest will die along with the numbers of fish left. There is no way I will ever go to "your" lake by the way....Never. Too far and no fish left...
Old 12-17-2012, 03:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Respectfully Walleyes its the "locals" that ruined it guys running every morning and pulling out a hour later with there limit 5 times a week not the guys that drive there a couple times a year.

I do agree that people should have been tight lipped but then again thats how 99% of people found out about it .....and feel it was "there" honey hole.

Lol,, how would you know this unless you were there every morning yourself ???

My point is,, you are as much to blame as the next guy,, if you don't want a lake to be fished,,, don't fish there.. Pretty tough to do something yourself and then not expect everyone else to do it..

This is just one of many we have lost to the populace in this area,, but thats allright we still have a handfull we keep quiet about.. Funny part is,, you all drive past them on your way to Wiau
Old 12-17-2012, 03:42 PM

I think if our government wanted there to be trophy perch lakes there would be more regulations for trophy perch lakes like this, for those lakes that do produce trophy perch.

"Kimowin (Hook) Lake  May 21 to Mar. 31 – Pike limit 3 (no size limit); Perch limit 5 (of
which only 1 can be greater than 30 cm). Apr. 1 to May 20 – CLOSED"

Seems like a simple fix to me. You only only take one jumbo home and get a meal of nice ones, instead of eating two or three jumbos and having 12 sitting in your freezer until the next time you eat perch. I don't know about you guys but three nice perch (12+ inches) is a big meal for me.

Its a nightmare to get regulations changed. I got the run around just getting a meeting to make a proposal. IMHO alberta fisheries regulations needs to be customized lake by lake. Wiau isn't the only lake up there that got hit hard. My cousins were talking to the trapper up there and he said when before Clyde winter-killed there were guys from Calgary landing on the lake in helicopters. Wouldn't surprise me if that was true... theres something about jumbo perch that gets people frothing at the mouth.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:49 AM

I found that a limit of 8-9" perch is a nice meal portion for myself, and fry up a lot nicer than any that are over 10". And since I have it as a treat to myself every now and again, I don't have to run around all over to try and find some "Jumbos". I can hit a lot of lakes close to home and get a good feed without a much effort at all...
Old 12-18-2012, 10:43 AM

++++
Old 12-18-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Lol,, how would you know this unless you were there every morning yourself ???

My point is,, you are as much to blame as the next guy,, if you don't want a lake to be fished,,, don't fish there.. Pretty tough to do something yourself and then not expect everyone else to do it..
Well I myself have only ever been there 2 times once it was decent the second was at the end of the season and it was brutal but the reason I know this is because the locals arent as tight lipped as you might think.

Anyway I wasnt complaining I was just stating the facts ....it really bothers me when "locals" try and blame "city slickers" for hunting or fishing when its the "locals" that exploit it the worst.

Anyway like I said I didnt want this to be a p***ing contest and I for one aint complaining.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:10 AM

Wonder how many fines would be handed out if F&W ever enforced the Posession limit?
Old 12-18-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
it really bothers me when "locals" try and blame "city slickers" for hunting or fishing when its the "locals" that exploit it the worst
This ^^
Old 12-18-2012, 11:30 AM

Any lakers there?
Old 12-18-2012, 11:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Well I myself have only ever been there 2 times once it was decent the second was at the end of the season and it was brutal but the reason I know this is because the locals arent as tight lipped as you might think.

Anyway I wasnt complaining I was just stating the facts ....it really bothers me when "locals" try and blame "city slickers" for hunting or fishing when its the "locals" that exploit it the worst.

Anyway like I said I didnt want this to be a p***ing contest and I for one aint complaining.

Don't want this to be a p***ing match either Mike,, just making a point. Your a good man and your heart is in the right place. But no one should be pointing the finger,, everyone is to blame.. I have taken a couple poeple in there over the years,, I am sure they in turn took a couple so on and so on.. Trust me,, it hurts me more than you can emagine to see what is happening to our little gems.. My father and I used to walk in 3 or 4 miles from the closest trail to some of these lakes in the winter,, you have no idea the insane fishing we used to experience,, crazy..

Keep in mind the population in this area has exploded in the last 5 years,, lots of poeple living up here that can't really be called locals if you know what I mean..
Old 12-18-2012, 11:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammer1 View Post
Any lakers there?

No..
Old 12-18-2012, 12:57 PM

Default Wiau

You local guys are really something, Iv been to YOUR lake alot! You are wrecking YOUR own fishery. Iv heard your local people bragging about the pailfuls of perch and seen the pails of perch you take! Keep it up LOCAL superstars! Or teach your kids to shut their mouth. I usually dont reply to these but you LOCAL HOTSHOTS caught my attention. catch and release.... enjoy the sport, dont ruin it
Old 12-18-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrofish01 View Post
You local guys are really something, Iv been to YOUR lake alot! You are wrecking YOUR own fishery. Iv heard your local people bragging about the pailfuls of perch and seen the pails of perch you take! Keep it up LOCAL superstars! Or teach your kids to shut their mouth. I usually dont reply to these but you LOCAL HOTSHOTS caught my attention. catch and release.... enjoy the sport, dont ruin it
Let's just play the blame game some more why don't we and see this train wreck of a thread get closed. Soon I hope.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 12-18-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Don't want this to be a p***ing match either Mike,, just making a point. Your a good man and your heart is in the right place. But no one should be pointing the finger,, everyone is to blame.. I have taken a couple poeple in there over the years,, I am sure they in turn took a couple so on and so on.. Trust me,, it hurts me more than you can emagine to see what is happening to our little gems.. My father and I used to walk in 3 or 4 miles from the closest trail to some of these lakes in the winter,, you have no idea the insane fishing we used to experience,, crazy..

Keep in mind the population in this area has exploded in the last 5 years,, lots of poeple living up here that can't really be called locals if you know what I mean..
I know what you mean.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codywf View Post
What I think is funny is the guy didn't say anything to tip people off about the lake, but all the people complaining about how the lake will be over run with people sure did
100 percent bulls-eye ...........

Last edited by EZM; 12-18-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:52 PM

I'd never heard of Wiau lake until I opened this thread and the OP was just asking about ice conditions. Because of all you guys complaining now I know about the potential jumbo perch I can catch there. Thanks for doing exactly what you were complaining about....

Old 12-18-2012, 06:56 PM

Haha there is isnt there... now i know thanks
Old 12-18-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammer1 View Post
Haha there is isnt there... now i know thanks
Don't think you will do much to harm the fisheries up here you can't even form a sentence!
Old 12-19-2012, 08:53 PM

Have fun humpin stuck sleds out of the snow an slush boys I had a go an its a nightmare!!sweat then freeze an chip ice outa yur tracks!!great time!shes gona be a hard go this season!
Old 12-20-2012, 04:01 PM

Im bringin my wife and six kids and maybe a buddy of mine ill let ya know how we faired and how big the fish are that we kept lol whats the limit anyway 15? i better fill my bbq tank and go to cosco for some butter lmao
Old 12-21-2012, 09:57 AM
Banned

Ya f&w should go there nail half of the provinces poachers in one fail swoop and suspend their licenses for the year.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCFisherman View Post
Ya f&w should go there nail half of the provinces poachers in one fail swoop and suspend their licenses for the year.
the limit is 15 per angler and guys are still going over their limits?

not tough to fill a 5 gallon pail legally with only a handful of guys.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:35 AM

I don't think poaching is the issue. Guys really, really like jumbo Perch and word spreads fast nowadays. People also have a penchant for thinking everyone else is the problem, and not them. It's like a weird fishing version of NIMBY syndrome. If you are in your warm truck, transversing a maze of cutlines your buddy told you about, lamenting the loss of a great fishery while the 5 gallon pale of jumbos wiggles back and forth in the back, you need to disappear in a poof of paradox smoke.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreator View Post
I don't think poaching is the issue. Guys really, really like jumbo Perch and word spreads fast nowadays. People also have a penchant for thinking everyone else is the problem, and not them. It's like a weird fishing version of NIMBY syndrome. If you are in your warm truck, transversing a maze of cutlines your buddy told you about, lamenting the loss of a great fishery while the 5 gallon pale of jumbos wiggles back and forth in the back, you need to disappear in a poof of paradox smoke.
This post is so painfully accurate it should be on a plaque somewhere.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
the limit is 15 per angler and guys are still going over their limits?

not tough to fill a 5 gallon pail legally with only a handful of guys.
Yeah but what is the possession limit? Same guys day after day with their pail of 15 fish!
Old 12-21-2012, 07:02 PM

Except I spelt "traversing" wrong.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:27 PM
Banned

wow, pretty funny thread. i agree with the post that said simply answer the op or ignore. now i'm very interested about wiau and i had never even heard of it.
can someone please tell me exactly where it is and what rig/bait works best. could you also give directions to the secret ones that someone said i'd be driving by on the way to wiau? lol
Old 12-21-2012, 07:56 PM
Banned

just talked to my uncle who doesn't live that far from wiau and he says that the secret has been out for years. the boys from two hills st.paul area etc. have been pounding it for years and yes the fish have been slowly depleted where at one time you were almost gaurenteed your limit of 2 lbs. perch.
lucky for me he has some other gems that i hope to post pics. from in the future.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:48 PM

Default Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
just talked to my uncle who doesn't live that far from wiau and he says that the secret has been out for years. the boys from two hills st.paul area etc. have been pounding it for years and yes the fish have been slowly depleted where at one time you were almost gaurenteed your limit of 2 lbs. perch.
lucky for me he has some other gems that i hope to post pics. from in the future.
This is not an easy lake to access I've been there several times and unless you have a snowmobile I would not plan trip because the oil and gas has gated the access points because they are maintaining the roads to their equipment by the lake and do not want trucks parked off the the side of a small access road.. If you can get to this lake you deserve to fish it. By the way the smaller lake on the way to the CNRL Kirby camp has way better perch but it is on a private road. These lakes are a long way from the city and if someone drives 4 hrs to go fishing, we'll I hope they catch a fish.