Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-02-2013, 09:37 PM

Default Barbed hooks

i was wondering if you can possess barbed hooks on the ice. I always push down the barbs on hooks i use (just want to derail that thought). but if a guy grabs a few new lures on the way out to the lake and has them in a pocket or even in your tackle box, would that be considered fishing with barbed hooks?
Old 01-02-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregT View Post
i was wondering if you can possess barbed hooks on the ice. I always push down the barbs on hooks i use (just want to derail that thought). but if a guy grabs a few new lures on the way out to the lake and has them in a pocket or even in your tackle box, would that be considered fishing with barbed hooks?
Having them tied to a line down hole or on a rod in a boat is fishing with barbed hooks. In possession is nothing.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-02-2013, 09:43 PM

if having barbed hooks in possession is a crime im sure 99.9% of fisherman are breaking the law as we speak. canadian tire would have to be closed down.

Pinch it before you cast, all is well.

" There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965 "
Old 01-02-2013, 09:44 PM

Barbed hook law has been recinded....read page 14 in your AO mag this month. People are encouraged to go barbless still, but it is no longer a requirement.

LC
Old 01-02-2013, 09:58 PM

ok i dont want to start this debate again but i got a little confused in that thread about barbless/barbed hooks. but just picked up my regs but on pg 18 it is written that it is unlawful to use a hook that is not a barbless hook (see pg 15 for definition). flip flip flip and there is the def for a barbless hook. correct me if i am wrong but that seems pretty clear.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:01 PM

the regs were printed before this all came about.

it is currently legal to use barbed hooks in Alberta.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:02 PM

Seriously, I have heard it both ways.. everyone I talk to says its something different? Anyone actually talk to F&W or SRD or what ever and get a straight answer? 2013 regs barbs are legal? or what?

" There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965 "
Old 01-02-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0liver View Post
Seriously, I have heard it both ways.. everyone I talk to says its something different? Anyone actually talk to F&W or SRD or what ever and get a straight answer? 2013 regs barbs are legal? or what?
multiple members contacted F&W and confirmed barbed are legal due to the rewriting of the fisheries act.

F&W wants people to stay barbless, but you will not get a ticket for using barbs.

edit:

read through this thread. page 2 sundancefisher contacts SRD and he posts their reply

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...=158448&page=2
Old 01-02-2013, 10:10 PM

excellent thank you. i got lost in the pages of that thread.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:04 PM
Banned

Seems pretty straight foreward, AO post in court will not hold up, 2012 Alberta guide to fishing regulations will hold up in court, seems like a no brainer.

To many incompetant people out there for them to allow the use of Barbed hooks out there.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregT View Post
ok i dont want to start this debate again but i got a little confused in that thread about barbless/barbed hooks. but just picked up my regs but on pg 18 it is written that it is unlawful to use a hook that is not a barbless hook (see pg 15 for definition). flip flip flip and there is the def for a barbless hook. correct me if i am wrong but that seems pretty clear.
Keep in mind that the regs manual is not a legal document nor a complete listing of current sportfishing regulations.

that is from page 1
Old 01-02-2013, 11:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter87 View Post
Seems pretty straight foreward, AO post in court will not hold up, 2012 Alberta guide to fishing regulations will hold up in court, seems like a no brainer.

To many incompetant people out there for them to allow the use of Barbed hooks out there.
You are wrong.

2012 Alberta guide to fishing regs has absolutely no authority in court.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:34 PM

Check here....an announcement is on mywildalberta.com....

http://www.mywildalberta.com/Fishing...lessHooks.aspx

This is what it says....

"Barbless Hooks
Fishing
The Government of Alberta is asking Alberta’s anglers to keep barbed hooks out of our waters.

Last fall, an inadvertent federal amendment to the Alberta Fishery Regulations removed the barbed hook ban. The omission was not immediately noted and has affected about 600 Albertans who were ticketed for using barbed hooks.

Officials from ESRD and Justice and Solicitor General are working to rectify the problem by withdrawing charges and reversing wrongful convictions and fines for those individuals affected since September 2011.

We’re working with the Government of Canada to determine the appropriate next steps as we consider the current lack of a barbed hook ban.

In the meantime, we encourage Alberta’s anglers to continue to use barbless hooks and remember that we are promoting proper handling techniques for all fish to best ensure their survival once released."

BUT keep in mind this will likely be reversed in the future...after wording gets worked out. Alot of anglers (myself included) are staying barbless....now it is a personal choice not a requirement.

LC
Old 01-02-2013, 11:35 PM
Banned

Yup, beat me to it.

The change has been announced by the government.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:08 AM
Banned

Thanks for the post Lefty. I'd read the thread about this a couple of weeks ago but I wasn't changing anything based on what I heard here. I don't think that I have any barbed hooks that I'm using right now anyway.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:20 PM

Whether its in a little magazine or not the current regulations say it is illegal to fish with barbed hooks.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Whether its in a little magazine or not the current regulations say it is illegal to fish with barbed hooks.
refer to lefty's link above to an offical gov't website. k, thnx, bye.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 01-03-2013, 12:36 PM

I think they should make current lakes barbless like wabamun
Perch 50 +
Goldeye 10
Sauger 1
Sucker 5
Old 01-03-2013, 12:37 PM

Myself and Deepfried contacted fish and wildlife yesterday with some questions about burbot limits and night fishing on clear lake. I asked about the barbed hooks and she said they are legal to use now, though they do not encourage it. The canadian government made changes to the fishing regulations and laws that affected Alberta and failed to inform Alberta of the changes. It sounds like the barbless hook law will be back sooner or later but until such time, barbs are a go if you so choose.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
It can be found more places than that if one would take the time to look....if you use barbless now, continue. Goverment media websites also have made the announcement....but do what you like

LC
Old 01-03-2013, 01:22 PM

i would like to see more encouragement to use circle hooks. especially when using bait. they are designed to lip hook fish only, and do not dig into the gullet or gills. I spoke to a trout unlimited member who took part in an experimental use of circle hooks and they found that the fish suffered much less stress, to the point where they were catching the same trout on the same day. In my experience unbarbed circle hooks are much more effective at landing fish than unbarbed straight hooks, and are much easier on the fish too

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 01-03-2013, 02:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
What exactly are current regulations?
Old 01-03-2013, 08:13 PM

Default barbless fines!!!

Well it seems a very uneducated f&w officer gave me a $200 ticket last febuary at Wabuman lake,He drove up on a snowmobile not wearing a helmet or his uniform. so with this new regulation going on does that mean i get a refund of my money and if so how do i go about getting it back??

Thanks....Greg.l
Old 01-03-2013, 09:06 PM

Default barbless

All these year's of barbless hooks an you know how easy it is to release a fish with barbless hooks. I can't believe that some people are not pinching there hooks because they are worried about looseing some bait or maybe missing a fish .they had a mis print an we know it will be back in the regs next year. Oh my god lets leave the barbs on an kill some fish .

I LIVE TO FISH I DON'T FISH TO LIVE
Old 01-03-2013, 09:09 PM

Barbed hooks are legal, which means we can play the fish and have fun fishing again, instead of water skiing the fish into the boat like a yankee bass fisherman.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
Barbed hooks are legal, which means we can play the fish and have fun fishing again, instead of water skiing the fish into the boat like a yankee bass fisherman.
Played a lot of fish barbless . When it was first law i was scared of looseing my first fish barbless . I landed a 16lb . Dolly in a river in a. BC . It was awesome an released it
Old 01-03-2013, 09:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapalaman View Post
Well it seems a very uneducated f&w officer gave me a $200 ticket last febuary at Wabuman lake,He drove up on a snowmobile not wearing a helmet or his uniform. so with this new regulation going on does that mean i get a refund of my money and if so how do i go about getting it back??

Thanks....Greg.l
Why should you get a refund? You were under the impression barbed hooks were illegal and chose not to debard them. Whether it was legal or not you thought it was illegal and did it anyways. No refunds should be given.

Also, Last February i believe it was still illegal to use Barbs, Only from March 31st would it have been legal.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebuck View Post
All these year's of barbless hooks an you know how easy it is to release a fish with barbless hooks. I can't believe that some people are not pinching there hooks because they are worried about looseing some bait or maybe missing a fish .they had a mis print an we know it will be back in the regs next year. Oh my god lets leave the barbs on an kill some fish .

You do what you want , and l,ll do what l want l hook and cook , ohhhhhhhhhh myyyyyyyyyyy GODDDDDDDDDDDDD
Old 01-03-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebuck View Post

barbs dont kill fish.......
Old 01-03-2013, 10:26 PM
pelada trochu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caper1984 View Post
Myself and Deepfried contacted fish and wildlife yesterday with some questions about burbot limits and night fishing on clear lake. I asked about the barbed hooks and she said they are legal to use now, though they do not encourage it. The canadian government made changes to the fishing regulations and laws that affected Alberta and failed to inform Alberta of the changes. It sounds like the barbless hook law will be back sooner or later but until such time, barbs are a go if you so choose.
In their haste to rewrite the laws so business could suck lakes and rivers dry.

Wonder what else is legal their not telling us. Maybe spear fishing through the ice is good to go now too.
Anyone got a pitchfork i can borrow. Their all out at ct