Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 09:50 PM

Congrats on that beast!!!
Old 01-27-2013, 10:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownb View Post
The way some of you guys talk on here it's to late ready, might as well keep what you can because the days of good fishing are over. You can't over preach, we are talking about one fish on cold lake so far this year. Well maybe more I know a lot of people who have caught some great fish but will not post pics anymore because they are tired of getting criticized, bottom line is to many people and not enough good fisheries in Alberta, that can't be fixed unless a lot of people move away and that's not going to happen, so enjoy now.
I can guarantee you this is the not the first big fish this gentleman has caught and kept out of Cold Lake. Him and his wife are locals and fish this lake religiously in the winter. You may not remember but his wife used to be a member on here and left, because of some of the same comments you are reading on here about constantly keeping big fish out of Cold Lake. His wife is a member of another board (that I used to be a member of) and for years has been posting pics of 15+ lakers that they catch and keep from Cold Lake. That is pretty well a "bonkers" only board, and has many members from down east, who do not know or appreciate the state of our fisheries here, so the comments are some what different than here.
I don't them personally but have heard they are very nice people, but they are very "old school" with regard to the fisheries in our province.

Last edited by bobalong; 01-27-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:30 PM

Well, I'm Jealous! Great fish congrats
As far as i'm concerned, a guy catching and keeping a laker caught from 90' down isn't near as bad as the guys catching and releasing lakers from that same depth all day long. Just because they go back under the ice don't mean they live. No way to prove it but I think its killing more fish releasing 20 than keeping one then quit fishing for them. Ice fishing for lakers is way harder on them than summer fishing.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:09 AM

Nice Laker! I would keep him for smoker for sure! It is every fishermans right to keep if they want. There is a good chance that a fish of that size may not survive when put back, we really dont know. congrats, seems there are maybe a few jealous fisherman out there!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:14 AM
Banned

Thats too bad
Old 01-28-2013, 07:45 AM

Default Don't worry about the Rhetoric

That is a good catch, Fair and Square! I am sure your mind will play this catch over and over, and I hope you enjoy it as much as the first time. Congrats!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:17 AM

I would like to make it clear that I was not the one that caught this fish. The only reason I asked someone to post this picture was I thought that like me if you werent involved with netting of cold lake then there are very few of us that have seen a fish of this size that was caught through the ice. In regards of keeping this fish, was the fish hooked deep, is it going to be mounted, going to be eaten, injured while digging the other holes to get it out. Just saying there are variables that no one could be aware of, not too many things are cut and dried as the Paul Watsons of the world would like to think. As a last comment if it was up to me laker fishing in Cold lake during hard water would be banned.Nobody knows what damage is being done to the fish and I do mean NOBODY..
Old 01-28-2013, 09:03 AM

Outstanding ..Smile says it all..
Old 01-28-2013, 09:08 AM

The younger generation will have to protect what fishery, whatever is left of it after the baby boomers are done with it. Not all are this way, some are the leaders in promoting catch and release fishing but, a high percentage of people that are meat fisherman are in this demographic. Now its not their fault, their fathers, and grandfather who taught them to fish thought they were going to starve if they don't keep everything they caught.
We just need to teach our children the correct way to protect our fishery.

Awesome fish, not handled the best. just in case you have been living under a rock the past fifteen years you can get a graphite replica made from measuring the length, and girth and take lots of pictures. Last I checked it was the same price as the skin replica.

Im done offending people now.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:16 AM

Holy Crap, SWEEET LAKER!!! Looks like the dude kept one. Just happened to be a big one. Get over it. Better than the guy limiting out on scrawney whites or walleys any day in my book. Way to go man!
Old 01-28-2013, 10:20 AM

Nice laker no doubt its unfourtunate that in Alberta to prevent people from keeping such a specimen they would need to have a slot limit.
I honestly belive in slot limits and there is pleanty of proof of there success in Sask all the way east.

Smaller fish are are plain and simple much better eating and have much less of an impact on the population of a lake.
I don't like C&R only fisheries as we have all seen what this did to Pigeon lake Skinny Walleye 5 pounders that should be 8 pounders, next to no pike and perch ect.

There is no reason to keep a 8lb Walleye or a 15 lb Pike or a 15 lb Laker all those fish are too big to eat in a single sitting and really you ego feels good for the 4 hours that fish lays on the ice next to you but once its home and filleted and there is nothing left to brag about.
Personally taking a quick pic and sending it back is a much better option that personally makes my ego feel much better and keeping a couple smaller fish for the pan still lets me enjoy my favorite fish.

Congrats to this angler on a great fish he has done nothing outside of what our regulations let him but IMO this thread would have been much better if the picture was taken and fish was returned.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:47 AM

Never having been to Cold Lake I am finding this conversation very interesting.

Flathead Lake in Montana which is over run with lakers has the following:

Limit per day 100 under 30 inches. You can keep one big girl but it must be over I think 35 or 36 inches not positive. All fish between 30 and 35 must be releases to spawn another day.

Seems to me that could work here. Keep your 2 or whatever the limit is if you want, but keep em under 30 inches. That would be a decent 5 lb fish and the big boys go back. The Ab record as we all know is over 50 lbs. from Cold lake taken about 100 yrs ago. Sure be nice to think we could one day catch one bigger.

Watched an outfitter at Minnewonka take a laker he weighed at 36lb this past year and after a few snap shots back she went. That fish was probably 60 plus years old. Also saw another fisherman filet a good 20 pounder. One keeps one gives back. Your choice.

Myself, I perfer the big girls go back. All you need is measurements and pic's for a real good mount.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklerunner View Post
I would have tossed it back after measurements and pics but agree 100%. Angler's choice.
x2
Old 01-28-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Nice laker no doubt its unfourtunate that in Alberta to prevent people from keeping such a specimen they would need to have a slot limit.
I honestly belive in slot limits and there is pleanty of proof of there success in Sask all the way east.

Smaller fish are are plain and simple much better eating and have much less of an impact on the population of a lake.
I don't like C&R only fisheries as we have all seen what this did to Pigeon lake Skinny Walleye 5 pounders that should be 8 pounders, next to no pike and perch ect.

There is no reason to keep a 8lb Walleye or a 15 lb Pike or a 15 lb Laker all those fish are too big to eat in a single sitting and really you ego feels good for the 4 hours that fish lays on the ice next to you but once its home and filleted and there is nothing left to brag about.
Personally taking a quick pic and sending it back is a much better option that personally makes my ego feel much better and keeping a couple smaller fish for the pan still lets me enjoy my favorite fish.

Congrats to this angler on a great fish he has done nothing outside of what our regulations let him but IMO this thread would have been much better if the picture was taken and fish was returned.
Well said Mike agree totally with the slot size in my opinon it should be one under 65cm for Lakers. Not sure why were keeping the big females with millions of eggs inside of them. And as someone else has mentioned just what the exact mortality rate is with Catch and release is anyones guess!
Old 01-28-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Bingo. In this situation (Cold Lake), I believe a slot limit should be seriously considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark gingell View Post
I would like to make it clear that I was not the one that caught this fish. The only reason I asked someone to post this picture was I thought that like me if you werent involved with netting of cold lake then there are very few of us that have seen a fish of this size that was caught through the ice. In regards of keeping this fish, was the fish hooked deep, is it going to be mounted, going to be eaten, injured while digging the other holes to get it out. Just saying there are variables that no one could be aware of, not too many things are cut and dried as the Paul Watsons of the world would like to think. As a last comment if it was up to me laker fishing in Cold lake during hard water would be banned.Nobody knows what damage is being done to the fish and I do mean NOBODY..
For the record, I’ve personally caught and released 2 Lakers in Cold Lake that were over 30lbs ( 1 in the summer and 1 in through the ice) and I was with another group that caught a 32lb Laker (thru the ice) to which she became tangled in the line which got into her gills and after a diligent effort in trying to revive her, she had to be kept as she bled out. Stuff like that happens.

But those large fish (trophies if you like) are not as uncommon as one may think at least not today. This is what needs to be protected in my mind. A +20lb laker is an awesome catch especially in a lake that can be driven to by car and in the middle of the prairies of all things. Do people understand how extremely rare this is? I would like to see that opportunity being maintained for future generations. That is the point I’m trying to make.

Congrats to your buddy, no doubt a very nice Laker.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:35 PM
Banned

Well said Penner. Its up to the public to protect this fishery just as much as the government. Just because we CAN doesn't mean we SHOULD!
Old 01-28-2013, 02:03 PM

Honestly what do fisheries folks in Alberta have against a slot size limit? The slot limit management tool seems to work everywhere else I am trying to understand why Alberta has to be so different?

LC
Old 01-28-2013, 02:20 PM

Great fish, I think I would have kept it too. I would have been very proud. Thoughts: 40-50 years of breeding sounds to me like its genetics would be in those waters and how good is it for the fish to come up from 90' of water. I know that we try to fish in less than 20' for Walleye so they don't get hurt when we release them. Does that mean we are gambling on if this fish will live? Does a big fish have a better breeding chance up a small stream than a smaller one? I'm saddened by the Negativity but it has brought me to some questions? does anyone have some factual based answers? any biologists?
Old 01-28-2013, 02:41 PM

Lake trout dont spawn up small streams, they do the deed in the lake.
Anyone express there thoughts / concerns to the people who make decisions or just throw their gripe on here and hope they read it?

Last edited by Lakers; 01-28-2013 at 02:42 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-28-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
First off, Congrats on a great fish ..... well done ...........that thing is a pig !!!!

Secondly, thank you for sharing your pictures with us .....

Lastly, a few points have been made, many of them good.

I feel I should use a barbless hooks, so I do, I don't judge other who don't.

I feel I should release a big fish, so I do, but I don't judge other that don't.

It's difficult for a guy to say "I wish it was released" without sounding judgmental, but I appreciate the advice and guidance others are giving. Understand their intentions, they are trying to protect the fishery.

So - I won't lay blame to anyone on this post, not will I pass judgement.

I always hate to see conflict on here fearing to see less and less pictures posted.

I am like Switzerland ............ only except less french looking.
I think this has been the best post made in this thread.

BTW, I would have kept it too, then I would have eaten him. Personal choice and well within his rights. Great fish.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:04 PM

This thread is the exact reason the fishing section is the laughing stock of this forum......
Old 01-28-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers View Post
Anyone express there thoughts / concerns to the people who make decisions or just throw their gripe on here and hope they read it?
Go to the cold river during spawn season and you may think differently.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:08 PM

I heard from a guy at work who knows the gentleman that caught this monster. He told me that by the time he got this fish out of the hole it was puking and ****ting everywhere and was not going to make it. Might as well keep it...definately should have mounted it though. You dont catch these everyday.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McShaft View Post
Go to the cold river during spawn season and you may think differently.
Spawning at the mouth of the river is alot different than making a run up a small stream, a la salmon.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:26 PM

nice fish!Be sure to show us a pic of the mount when its done
Old 01-28-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmountainrider View Post
Great fish, I think I would have kept it too. I would have been very proud. Thoughts: 40-50 years of breeding sounds to me like its genetics would be in those waters and how good is it for the fish to come up from 90' of water. I know that we try to fish in less than 20' for Walleye so they don't get hurt when we release them. Does that mean we are gambling on if this fish will live? Does a big fish have a better breeding chance up a small stream than a smaller one? I'm saddened by the Negativity but it has brought me to some questions? does anyone have some factual based answers? any biologists?
Lake trout can burp themselves and actually do just fine being released after coming up 100 feet ....anyone who has seen a lake trout chase a hook on a flasher can confirm that lake trout can cover 100 FOW in seconds wust hunting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers View Post
I was just going to post asking this question does anyone know who or how we can contact about these types of changes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McShaft View Post
I heard from a guy at work who knows the gentleman that caught this monster. He told me that by the time he got this fish out of the hole it was puking and ****ting everywhere and was not going to make it. Might as well keep it...definately should have mounted it though. You dont catch these everyday.
Puking and crapping is all part of the fish burping itself ....does not make it a death sentance.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Lake trout can burp themselves and actually do just fine being released after coming up 100 feet ....anyone who has seen a lake trout chase a hook on a flasher can confirm that lake trout can cover 100 FOW in seconds wust hunting.

I was just going to post asking this question does anyone know who or how we can contact about these types of changes?

Puking and crapping is all part of the fish burping itself ....does not make it a death sentance.
Fish was just clearing it's blatter. Lakers are one of the only fish that can be brought up from the depths, blow their blatter and safely be released.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskfly View Post
Congrats on an awesome laker.

Sorry to hijack the thread but I have never seen vehicle traffic on Cold Lake like I did this Saturday. It was absolutely mind blowing to say the least. Even ran into several groups that camped out on the lake from E-town.

I think the regs on this lake need to be severely addressed as the pressure it recieves is severe to extreme. And yes I will say this, They need to lower the Burbot limit. No other lake sees as much pressure on its ling than Cold Lake.

Again, nice laker and sorry for the hijack!
Funny you say that, was thinking the same thing as I was out sunday. I was out there reminising about the days when I was the only one out there in the winter. I couldnt count all the vehicles on the lake sunday. It's been like a hot perch lake for the last 5 years or so, only will take longer than a year to fish out! Actually seen a FW offier out there. Thats like the second time I have seen out on the lake in 20 winters.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:28 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splake0 View Post
Way to go Pete J
Either way he kept it, awesome legal fish whether it made a slot size, puked, pooped, spawned, had twins, was a diabetic, it is simply an awesome fish and we should thank all for sharing this great fish.
Can hardly wait to get one and post it and start WW3...
Old 01-28-2013, 04:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Either way he kept it, awesome legal fish whether it made a slot size, puked, pooped, spawned, had twins, was a diabetic, it is simply an awesome fish and we should thank all for sharing this great fish.
Can hardly wait to get one and post it and start WW3...

Sure why not..

From another post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter87 View Post
This is Alberta man, The Viking lifestyle is alive and well here, Rape and Pillage then move on.
Closed Thread