Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-05-2008, 09:06 AM

Default Taxidermy protection from insects-HELP!

Our home in Central Alberta has gotten infested with Larder Beetles- a member of the Carpet Beetle family. We have had an exterminator do some work for us with respect to eliminating them. This is working but it is going to take some time.I believe these pests can ruin taxidermy mounts and so I am looking for something to spray on my trophies which will kill any of the bugs or larvae which may be living on them. Obviously, I want to use a product that will not stain or otherwise damage the trophies themselves. (My collection includes a couple of goats and a couple of Dall sheep which would be particularly susceptible to staining). I asked the exterminator about this but he hadn't had any experience in dealing with this particular problem and couldn't recommend a specific product.
Has anyone on this forum had any experience with a similar problem. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by 270WIN; 07-05-2008 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:33 AM

Try this site.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php
Old 07-05-2008, 12:55 PM

I wasn't sure what you were talking about until I googled 'em but I've seen them in my shed on unfinished furs/hides but never seemed to bother any mounts. The info said the best way was to get rid of the food source.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:31 PM

well i am not an expert but from what i have been reading about taxidermy, but borax on the mounts myt book says it helps keeps away bugs and poets but givbes it a oder

hope this helps and i hope i didnt give u wrong info
Old 07-06-2008, 08:09 PM

Thanks guys. Your replies and suggestions are appreciated. My understanding is that it is the larvae not the adult beetles that can attack things like wool and animal hair and cause damage to wildlife mounts. The adult beetles eat things like meat and dead insects and, as Bushmaster mentioned, unpreserved hides. Bushmaster, you are absolutely correct. The only permanent solution is to remove the food source. Sadly, in our case this will likely be expensive. I think the food source is an accumulation of dead flies which have built up under the vinyl siding on our house.(Sounds disgusting, doesn't it?). We may have to remove it and replace it with something which is not so easy for flies to get behind in the fall, possibly stucco.
My advice to anyone living in the country or contemplating a move to the country would be to avoid vinyl siding if at all possible.
I don't think my trophies are heavily infested at this point so I'll probably just keep an eye on them and vacuum them frequently. If I see many of the pests on my mounts, I'll have to get more aggressive.
Thanks again.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:59 PM

freezing for a few days is supposed to work for larder beetles, also ask your pest man about phostoxin(sp) the only problem with it is it would contaminate your food
Old 07-16-2008, 09:11 PM

And I would be very careful when playing with phostoxin....we were dropping pellets down gopher holes and within 1/2 hour every one of us had a headache.

Gophers just pulled the pills out of their holes anyway !!
Old 07-17-2008, 05:03 PM
jrs

I had an issue with some bugs damaging a mount a few years back and my taxidermist recommended freezing it. I had the advantage of -35 and mid January but it worked. I put it in our travel trailer for a week and never had another issue. Maybe a freezer would be cold enough?
Old 07-18-2008, 10:31 AM

Some real good Ideas for you to try

Taxidermy .net is a good sourse of info

the Quickest way is to frezee the mounts. If you have room in your frezer. If not you may have to ask someone else of your local butcher to use there Quick frezee room -40

Hope the pest guy rids the problem for you......hate to see anyone loose a munt

AL
Old 07-18-2008, 01:52 PM

Once again, thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.