Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-23-2013, 11:34 AM

Default 1232 vs 1036 Jon boat or .......

I am in the market for a smaller Jon boat. Would like to be able to store on top of truck so I am still able to tow my camper. I know most are thinking just put the boat on the camper but it is only 19' long and has way too many fragile components on top. So my question is which would be my better choice: a 12' long 32" wide bottom or a 10' long 36" wide bottom Jon boat. I'm trying to keep weight down. Will be oar powered to start, electric trolling later in the season. I don't want to go out to the middle of large lakes. I would like the most stable out of the two. Any input greatly appreciated even if you have a better suggestion.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:05 PM

If you do not stray from shore to far. I myself would favour the extra width. Adds to stability. Lighter too.

4" doesn't sound like much, but when you want to lay a couple extra rods or net along side of you , it will be nice.

If you are fishing with another person though the extra 2 feet would be nice.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:09 PM

What brand are you going with?? Im interested in purchasing myself a 10-15 foot john boat, just meddling over prices/brands/features etc. Will it be hjust you in the boat?
Old 03-23-2013, 12:10 PM

Forgot to mention I was wondering if a Jon boat was my best option or is there a better hull design for my needs.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmack25 View Post
Forgot to mention I was wondering if a Jon boat was my best option or is there a better hull design for my needs.
Canoe?

Inflatable?

Small Pontoon?

10-12 foot v hull cartopper?

10-12 fiberglass tri hull?
Old 03-23-2013, 12:13 PM

Well, if you dont stray into the middle of big lakes than youll be fine, I mostly want my john boat for river fishing so maybe our applications are slightly different. however if fishing with more than just yoiu in the boat i would opt for the 12 footer, 4 inches wider is nice, sure, but with another person in the boat you wont regret having it 2 feet longer, believe me.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:15 PM

It would be just me fishing. The wife likes to come along read a book and help net the big tricky ones though so she would probably be in the boat with me too. I think there are only a couple brands that offer the 1036 so I'm thinking tracker. It's gonna be my first starter boat. Will probably upgrade to a longer wider boat in a few years if I see a need.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:18 PM

I am also looking at river fishing too, another reason for weight reduction. last time I checked things that inflate don't like sharp objects like hooks, falling knives etc. ha ha. I know the car topper has a pointed bow but is there any other major difference between it and the Jon?
Old 03-23-2013, 12:19 PM

yah, well if just one angler im sure a 10 footer would be fine. and the extra stability would be nice. I like the grizzly's too. however i do not remember if they came in a 10 foot model or not. regardless a 10 or 12 foot john boat is a nice starter boat and it will serve you well!!
Old 03-23-2013, 12:23 PM

Tracker has a 1036 model. It's there tracker topper 1036 riveted Jon boat. Another reason why its just a starter, would prefer a welded Jon but just don't have the budget right now. The marlon 10' super wide looks nice but a little over budget for me
Old 03-23-2013, 12:37 PM

Tracker 1236, you'll be happy longer, 32 is getting pretty narrow, and 10' is not very long.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-23-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Tracker 1236, you'll be happy longer, 32 is getting pretty narrow, and 10' is not very long.
x2
Old 03-23-2013, 06:41 PM

get the widest one...owned a 1032,got rid off it after fist outing TIPPY !!
I own a 10'-0 wide spratley,cadillac of pram's imo...
Old 03-23-2013, 06:45 PM

I got a 14' G3 jon boat and i love it,i had a 12' but found it kinda tippy. The G3 is a really nice boat and pretty stable as well
Old 03-23-2013, 06:49 PM

does anyone used wide bottom marlon job boat? not sure how much more stable this one is compare to 42" wide job boats. http://www.marlonproducts.com/jon-bo...cs.asp?JonID=3
Old 03-23-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
get the widest one...owned a 1032,got rid off it after fist outing TIPPY !!
I own a 10'-0 wide spratley,cadillac of pram's imo...
Ah the fabled Spratley, out of production for years. I missed out on one last year, in of all places small town Sask.

Fly fishing BC has some discussion on the Marlon, just do a search.

I have a 12' sailing dingy, fast as all get out under oars and stable enough to stand in all day if I have the keel down. Only draw back is that it only has enough room for me and my gear, can't even take the dogs. Did I say fast, man that thing is fast rowing.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-23-2013, 11:40 PM

I have a tracker 10' I will say it is great for very calm water but would be very carefully taking it out on any lake where conditions could change quickly
Old 03-24-2013, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Ah the fabled Spratley, out of production for years. I missed out on one last year, in of all places small town Sask.

Fly fishing BC has some discussion on the Marlon, just do a search.

I have a 12' sailing dingy, fast as all get out under oars and stable enough to stand in all day if I have the keel down. Only draw back is that it only has enough room for me and my gear, can't even take the dogs. Did I say fast, man that thing is fast rowing.
I not completely sure about production of line..But i would be very amazed if it was out off production..Very high demand..there always seems to be a used one show up on flyfish calgary site or flybc site...Marlon boats have various hull thicknesses,there coming around thou.You may have heard of a guy named Mr.Jack Shaw well his boat is in the museum in Kamloops it is a Springbak pram 9'2 x 42 wide...good luck buy the widest,best quality that you can afford safety/cost....I have owned 2 sprigbak's,1 viking,tracker,noname[crash boat] & the best 10'-0 spratley
Old 03-24-2013, 07:20 PM

Thanks for all the input. I am really considering the 1236 now. I was wondering though how much strain that would put on say a trolling motor with two adults in the boat.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:28 PM

In my 12 that i had my 50 thrust would only last a couple hours of running and would kill the battery,but i didnt have a marine battery just a battery from canadian tire,then i just went and got a gas engine
Old 03-24-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
I not completely sure about production of line..But i would be very amazed if it was out off production..Very high demand..there always seems to be a used one show up on flyfish calgary site or flybc site...Marlon boats have various hull thicknesses,there coming around thou.You may have heard of a guy named Mr.Jack Shaw well his boat is in the museum in Kamloops it is a Springbak pram 9'2 x 42 wide...good luck buy the widest,best quality that you can afford safety/cost....I have owned 2 sprigbak's,1 viking,tracker,noname[crash boat] & the best 10'-0 spratley
My mistake, I got the Springbok pram and the Spratley confused, not unusual for me. LOL Those flat bottoms are very popular in BC, heck the guy's even show picks on how they trick them out. In Ab. though with our wind, not sure they are the best bet.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-24-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmack25 View Post
Thanks for all the input. I am really considering the 1236 now. I was wondering though how much strain that would put on say a trolling motor with two adults in the boat.
Depends on the motor and how long you run it. There is newer tech. in motors that reduce the draw when you are not wide open but those motors run more money than the older ones that draw the same no matter what your speed. I row my boat to get around and then if I troll I use the motor so I can keep one hand on the rod. Never had an issue going all day on a single charge, but I don't run it much. I would think with the setup your running you should go for a min. 55lb thrust.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-25-2013, 10:53 AM

I have a 14ft I'm running a 15hp merc lots of room for gear and 2 people plus it goes 25-30k/h , I do mostly river fishing so there is a fair bit of traveling involved Empty it weighs around 100lbs .