Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-17-2008, 01:59 PM

Default Grand Bahia Principe Coba.....

well my wife and i just booked 7 nights 8 days at this resort. just wondering if anyone has ever been to this resort.....any recom3ndations while staying there?? any scams to be aware of......i have heard about sketchy guys at the airport tricking you into rides etc...

we are pretty excited. we never had a honeymoon...unless driving across america in mid august with no AC is a honeymoon....this year will be 9 years..and we will be in mexico to celebrate it.

it is actually a big celebration for us. my wife just learned yesterday that she is free and clear of all the cancer that was there. she is done...kicked it's ***** if i do say so myself!!. so this trip is to celebrate her good health, our marriage and to....hopefully....expand our family.

thanks for all the help...
Old 07-17-2008, 02:12 PM

Never been there but wanted to give you and your Wife my best....have a blast and all the best to you guys.....Congrats on whippin that thing

tm
Old 07-17-2008, 02:14 PM

Default Not the same but........

Congrats, congrats, and congrats. That is all good news! I have stayed at the Bahia Principe in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic and it was fantastic. Top notch all the way around. If the hotels are the same through the chain then I think you and Mrs. Clash will have a great stay. Best of luck, have fun!
LB
Old 07-17-2008, 02:16 PM

thanks, i am really proud of her. she amazes me with how she just got it done and never got down in the mouth about it!
Old 07-17-2008, 02:17 PM

One of the best Mexican destinations...and the fishing will knock your socks off...when you go through the airport just say no thank you or no gracious...if you did an all inclusive just be line it to your bus out front...they will be out in the parking lot waiting for you...when on the beach just say no thank you...Mexican people are nice and they know what no thank you means...unless you want to buy a time share do it through your resort...the food is to die for...the people are very friendly and everything is almost free...you will here that lots...
Great to hear your wife is doing great...have a fun time and have tequila for me...
Old 07-17-2008, 02:20 PM

haha well no booze for us...but i'll have a virgin pina' colada for ya!
Old 07-17-2008, 02:23 PM

Default Fantastic resort

Fantastic resort. There is actually 3 resorts all together, you can drink and eat at all of them.
I recommend booking your 3 A La cartes (Spelling) first day after you book in. The good ones are booked up extremely fast.
There is a trolly cart that will drive you to the different resteraunts. All resorts are close together and on private resort. Two against the ocean one in behind. No one I know has ever gotten sick, food is great accomodations are nice. I believe there is Coba Tullum and Akumal, names of the 3 resorts. You shoudl be right at home, it should be smoking hot...
Have a terrific time... the only thing that stink is the 1 hour and 45 minute drive to the resort from the airport...
Old 07-17-2008, 03:42 PM

I stayed at the akumal side last fall, went to coba side once, nice pool areas , but just one warning.. bring bug spray as coba has some swampy areas and the mozzies get really bad around dinner. my wife and i actulaay had to leave the coba buffet the one night we wsent there as the mosquitos were un bearable. actually got bit about 20 times eac well we were trying to eat... but this was a great resort. i highly recommend the snorkelling with sea turtles.. cost 15 us from the dive shack.

also playa del carmen is a 20 peso van ride each way. we went there at least 5 times, such a nice place to walk around. there is also a walmart to purchase stuff there in playa..... don't be afraid to leave the resort!

hope this help.. any questions, just ask..

btw the beach is better the farther left you go!
Old 07-17-2008, 03:48 PM

awesome advice....thanks...
Old 07-17-2008, 03:54 PM

It is great to hear that your wife won her battle!! Wish you guys all the best on your vacation; it is well deserved.

I cant offer any info on your resort choice. I was in Mexico this past February and we stayed at the Ibersostar Grand near Cancun. It was AMAZING.......my parents who have vactioned all over the carribean at many of the "best" resorts around, put the Grand at the top of their list.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:54 PM

I think it was the Grand Bahia Principe Akumal we stayed at a few years back. It was a great trip, lots to see and do. Highly recommend, Coba ruins (do the combined trip with the zip line into the cenote, we didn't do the zip line portion, but I've heard it is a lot of fun), Xel-ha (swimming with the dolphins was neat), snorkeling tour in front of the resort, and fishing with Captain Rick's. All of it is fun, but I loved getting out fishing.

http://captricksfishing.com/boats.htm

I've never gotten real sick, but my stomach hasn't felt quite right. While in the Dominican earlier this year a friend that travels lots suggests taking a preventative pepto a couple times a day - he swears by it and hasn't had any issues over almost a dozen resort trips.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:33 PM

I went two years ago in July to the Gran Bahia Principe Tulum. Amazing time. Lots to do, lots to see. We spent a day in Playa Del Carmen shopping, took a collectivo for a buck or two each way (cheap taxis that take numerous people up and down the Maya Riveria). Booked online a day at Dolphin Discovery, we swam with dolphins, manatees and sea lions (wasn't cheap, but well worth it). And spent a day at Xel-Ha swimming and snorkeling.
I agree that the worst part was the drive from the airport to the resort, especially after the already long day on the plane.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
well my wife and i just booked 7 nights 8 days at this resort. just wondering if anyone has ever been to this resort.....any recom3ndations while staying there?? any scams to be aware of......i have heard about sketchy guys at the airport tricking you into rides etc...

we are pretty excited. we never had a honeymoon...unless driving across america in mid august with no AC is a honeymoon....this year will be 9 years..and we will be in mexico to celebrate it.

it is actually a big celebration for us. my wife just learned yesterday that she is free and clear of all the cancer that was there. she is done...kicked it's ***** if i do say so myself!!. so this trip is to celebrate her good health, our marriage and to....hopefully....expand our family.

thanks for all the help...
Have not stayed there, but I've been to the other place.................. C E L E B R A T E