Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-01-2014, 08:42 PM

Finished up day one of trip did well got my friend into some fish . landed 22 between three of us. six were legal one had to have weighed close to 20lbs. all in all abeautiful start to the new year. tight lines!.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:08 PM

Went out today apparently we weren't on the spot and it's impossible to get the teenage bro and dad to go earlier when the fish are biting. I caught one lake trout and had a few other light hits. Oh well there is always next time. The ones I was seeing on marcum were not chasing the hook like usual.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 01-01-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
Went out today apparently we weren't on the spot and it's impossible to get the teenage bro and dad to go earlier when the fish are biting. I caught one lake trout and had a few other light hits. Oh well there is always next time. The ones I was seeing on marcum were not chasing the hook like usual.
You sure spend a lot of time up here for a guy from California. Better luck next time!
Old 01-01-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJax View Post
You sure spend a lot of time up here for a guy from California. Better luck next time!
Haha... good job I guess.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 01-02-2014, 08:59 AM

Heading up today for an early weekend. Thank god for propane!! It's going to be a cold one
Old 01-02-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaystev View Post
Finished up day one of trip did well got my friend into some fish . landed 22 between three of us. six were legal one had to have weighed close to 20lbs. all in all abeautiful start to the new year. tight lines!.
Where were you fishing? 6 fish over 75cm is unreal! good job.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:57 AM

Near prov park we were only ones there yesterday. Up here today and tomorrow as well.got a late start today but will be on the ice in an hour.same place.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:44 AM
Banned

You get visited by F&W yesterday? Saw them on the ice.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:10 PM

Zzzing!
Old 01-02-2014, 04:42 PM

Drove on today by provincial park. Lots of ice, around 18". Snow drifts on lake were hit and miss. But snow for the most part was only a few inches deep.
Only managed one today but pretty good day. Lots of people out though. How'd everyone do?
Old 01-02-2014, 05:27 PM

Default cold lake

Fished cold lake sunday, monday. Got on at p.p. and went to garnett with the quad. One ice heave at the newfie hump and its fairly good after that. We went a little closer to shore though. Ice at garnett, at least 18 inches, but all white where we fished. Fishing was good. Ice is rough this year slow going.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:39 PM

Supposed to be -30 Sunday but we are going to brave the eelements and try our luck.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:07 AM

Heading out also on Saturday. Better be 18 inches driving out in truck pp
Old 01-03-2014, 04:30 PM

Default cold lake

A pic this one was of legal length. Returned to the depths to be caught again. Ice was 12 - 18 inches everywhere I drilled but I heard of thinner. Had a great trip found we were having better luck than most. Fluro leader a must and light bites.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:08 PM

fluro/mono leader is a must at least foot and a half to 2 feet that's all im going to share other then I just got back and caught about 50 each day drove everywhere with a truck some spots were as thin as 6 inches on the sask side.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwalleye View Post
fluro/mono leader is a must at least foot and a half to 2 feet that's all im going to share other then I just got back and caught about 50 each day drove everywhere with a truck some spots were as thin as 6 inches on the sask side.
Were you in the black Ford, red tent. Stayed over night? We were the guys on the quads. Good couple days for sure!
Old 01-04-2014, 09:30 AM

Anybody out today? I drove on at PP fishing off the point seems where everybody else does. So far it's been slow. Haven't caught anything.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmered View Post
Anybody out today? I drove on at PP fishing off the point seems where everybody else does. So far it's been slow. Haven't caught anything.
It was slower yesterday untill noon. They were steady all day thursday... Seems like after a couple days of heavy feeding they slow down a bit. The weather change prob didnt help either...
Old 01-04-2014, 04:57 PM

Managed to get two today. Both around that 70cm mark. First year fishing the lake. For you guys catching 10 plus fish a day. Are you fishing just off the bottom or at a certain depth? I don't have a flasher and I try many different depths through out the day but I seem to have a hard time finding the depth they are at.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:06 PM

Having a flasher or sonar helps alot. Some were biting on bottom but some spots they were rolling through 20-30 ft up. I found some would chase my jig up and then hit it on the way back down. Hard to fish this way without the tech to see them though. I have a marcum flasher and we took turns using it and whoever had it outfished the others three to one at least. Sometimes just being able to anticipate a bite was all the difference, as they were hitting lightly and easy to miss the hookset.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:20 PM

Gotta use and watch electronics , see the fish and reel to them.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:57 PM

Smile

5 TO 1 with one of these
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ice fishing 2012 043.jpg (26.8 KB, 125 views)
Old 01-05-2014, 07:26 AM

Was out on the lake Sat. 4th . Minus 40 it was a little cold, then the wind picked up at noon and it got Cold !
Fishing was slow for me but my Cold lake Partner had two within the first hour. I had none my noon. Had two containers of parker minnows.Seen a fatty in the other container and used it . Fish On ! Kept on fishing with the second container and they kept on bitting .
Not sure what was wrong with first container .
Switched back to them a few times and the lakers would just come up to it and swim back down.
Caught one keeper at 80 cm
Old 01-05-2014, 10:31 AM

Congrats you guys on all the keepers! The few I've caught have been close but always a few cm short it seems. Being the first time I've caught lakers (new to the area) they sure are some thick fish, even the small ones.
Did a lot of reading and it seems the cold lake special and buck tail jigs were the way to go. We tipped them with smelts and both caught one each. Lol
For you guys with the flashers what kind of technique are you using. I was out with my brother in law and we both tried different techniques. He would lower the hook and then reel it in slowly, and I would pick a depth and jig the hook. I'm sure depth is a big factor, but I figure technique would make a difference as well.
Not going to be getting a flasher this year for sure so just trying to get some tips so I can continue exploring this lake with better knowledge. Lol and hopefully more success.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:43 AM

delete
Old 01-05-2014, 11:36 AM
Banned

If you don't have a flasher you need to work the entire water column. Start on the bottom do a few minutes of long slow jigging reel up ten feet or so and repeat until you see your hook then start all over again. Depending on the day they could be any where in the water column.

Good luck. Also if they won't hit a buck tail a white tube jig is another go to. I use braided line tied to a swivel with a mono or flouro leader about 2 to 4 feet with a clasp on the end of that for easy hook changes.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:37 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvltd61N0jQ

To answer the question are they on bottom watch my video from last year. Most fish are on the bottom but won't bite on the bottom if there are fish on the flasher then you're in the right spot. In my video if you pay attention I get a fish close and then take it away I will reel and make them chase almost to my feet before they commit.

To know when they chase or when they stop and turn around makes a flasher a must I see so many people now owning a flasher but still fishing the wrong way. If you're going to sit there a few feet off bottom and just jig it like your're fishing walleye then the flasher is pointless for you other then to tell you if a fish is there it's not helping you catch.

Try different retrives different speeds make them chase make them want it I have become very good at knowing what they want and how they want it on a bad day I land 25-40 on a good day 100+

It's not the spot I do this almost anywhere on the lake I run and gun and always moving to find active fish willing to chase last weekend I was just around the point on the sask border up and down the whole shoreline if im not catching steady then im steady moving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvltd61N0jQ
Old 01-06-2014, 03:43 PM
Banned

This right here.

I've taken friends fishing and they think I'm trying to not let the fish bite lol. If they will chase they usually will hit it and I find the faster I pull it away the more aggressively they hit it. Like you said though without a flasher you can't do this. I find it works equally well for walleye as well.

Your video won't play on phones because of some setting you have on it not sure what it is.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:53 PM

Saturday 4th I was at Cold lake and just west of me was one of those Double Orange Costco tents. Just wondering anybody from this site in that tent .
Old 01-16-2014, 06:49 PM

Was out today. Pretty slow at provincial park. Headed over to French bay at 12 and had fish on the fish finder coming off the bottom just about the whole time. Managed to get two up on the ice and hooked around 5 or so more. Snow on top is only a couple inches and there was no flood water anywhere I went. Some small drifts but with the warm weather they are all crusty and easy to drive on.