Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-11-2009, 03:49 PM

Exclamation Beware - Eastman Icecube Owners

I started this as a new thread because I wanted everyone to see it. I have had an Eastman 4 man Icecube for a couple of years now. Beware of one potential big problem with it. The 5 joints where the poles come together can come loose in a couple of different ways causing parts loss or breakage.

Firstly, the little nylok nuts holding the round metal end caps and the white nylon pole locks can work loose causing the poles to pop out. If this happens on the lake you could easily lose the parts in the snow. I almost did.
I am not sure how hard it is to get replacement parts. Anyone had to get replacement parts? I would recommend that you take the nuts off and put locktite on the treads and re-torque them.

Secondly, the metal pole ends at the joint end can come loose from the pole. The glue breaks in the cold. I would recommend that you dribble some locktite or glue into the caps where the poles go in to prevent this. I had a couple of the little stop tabs on these end caps break as well. I will have to get replacements eventually.

The door zipper on mine is starting to get a couple of rough spots. Hope it will not become a problem. Anyone else had any trouble?

Save yourself some grief and do this preventative maintenance.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:37 PM

Just bought mine this year and love it, light, easy to set up, someone posted to bring a cordless drill with a 3/8th bit to predrill hole for the anchors, thanks, excellent idea.Had it out now in -38 up here in Cold Lake and no problems yet, havent looked too close but will check for loosening parts,I see them, (Ice Cubes) all over the place, very popular up here, anyway, thanks for the tips
Old 01-11-2009, 04:45 PM

Smile

Try rubbing hand soap on the zipper inside and out,it works.

Buy cheap cry every day .

Old 01-11-2009, 04:52 PM

Or candle wax.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:40 PM

Have owned a two man for 3 seasons. Fairly satisfied, although also having some zipper issues. Also, the clear plastic windows have cracked right through.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:12 PM

I had to order a new pole for mine three years ago. Instead of sending me one pole they couriered me two complete sets along with the center connection point free of charge. I haven't had to use anything else but do have spares now. Great customer service!

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 01-11-2009, 11:20 PM

Thanks for the headsup, Axeman. I just bought a 4-man and have only had it out once. Happy with it so far, but will take the preventative measures you suggest and hope for the best.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:39 PM

Got a 4 man ice cube and have had it out once. Its almost a perfect little hut. Keeps the wind out and is a snap to setup. The only problem I have with it is the plastic hubs that the fiberglas poles are bolted to. One trip out and already a pole has broken loose. Any aluminum replacements out there?
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 01-13-2009, 01:37 AM

I have a four man as well. Been out in it lots and no problems. I will, however, take some preventative measures. Thanx
Old 01-13-2009, 03:49 PM

I have a 4 man now for 3 years and take it out 2wice a month min. All I have had are zipper issues, a few week spots where now I have to use both zippers. Going to try the candle wax idea.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyke88 View Post
Have owned a two man for 3 seasons. Fairly satisfied, although also having some zipper issues. Also, the clear plastic windows have cracked right through.
I have an Eskimo Cube and after using it on two really cold days, one of the plastic windows cracked too. Any way to repair these things or is it just gonna be a clear tape job?
Old 01-15-2009, 08:09 PM

just bought one yesterday, broke it today! one of the 4 way connectors shattered. where do i send for parts?
Old 01-15-2009, 09:28 PM

Their website seems to be dead.
http://www.eastmanoutfitters.com/
Anyone know if they have changed their domain name? I need a couple of parts as well.
Maybe Wholesale sports can help. I will check next time I'm there.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:18 AM

Thanks AxeMan, My Cube is 3 years old so I checked my connectors and the nuts were all loose. I now have a cheap $1.99 Canadian Tire crescent wrench in my ice fishing gear to stay on top of it when I'm out fishing. GOOD POST.
Dodger.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshotz View Post
I have an Eskimo Cube and after using it on two really cold days, one of the plastic windows cracked too. Any way to repair these things or is it just gonna be a clear tape job?
I got an Eskimo Cube about a month ago and had a cracked window after the first trip. -30 isn't very good for plastic i guess. After about 5 trips 3 of the 4 windows are now cracked. I don't know of any way to repair them other then the tape idea. The windows on my buddys Eastman Ice cube are holding up much better but I still like the Eskimo. It's nice having the windows on all 4 sides (even if they are cracked), and the pouches come in handy as well.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:11 AM

I had the same issue as Axeman last year and re-built the center piece. I now keep an eye on it. I even have some spare parts in my tent bag in case it gets loose or an eyebolt breaks. Nothing worse than driving out to the lake and the tent breaks.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:42 AM

yea i snapped 2 poles the first time i tried to retract it and take it down it's easy to put up but taking it down takes some skills. And i obviously don't have those skills.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
Their website seems to be dead.
http://www.eastmanoutfitters.com/
Anyone know if they have changed their domain name? I need a couple of parts as well.
Maybe Wholesale sports can help. I will check next time I'm there.
Hi there. I stumbled onto this forum while doing a search to look for replacement parts for my Ice Cube. I too had one of the hubs break and need a replacement. Has anybody had any luck finding replacement parts? Eastman's website still seems to be down. I love the tent other than trying to put it up in the wind myself. Thanks for any help.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:43 PM

Best one made is the suit case style type. simple and very durable.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:36 PM

Default Eastman cube

Contact number for repairs for cube or sub zero is 810-733-6360
Old 01-26-2009, 08:41 PM

This is the 3rd winter for my cube, liked it so much I had to get a second one. 4 man cube is good for two people, holes, gear, heater and room to move when the action gets exciting. Needed the second one for any extra family or friends that come along.
Had a problem one day and broke a pole, called 810-733-6360 and talked to a nice gal. Can buy a set of 4 poles for $15. Will probably cost more for the shipping than the poles. Did have any luck on the internet wesite,
I find if you are having trouble with your zipper the tension straps maybe to tight. I also don't anchor the wall strap on the side the door is on, only the other 3 sides. The wax on the zipper is a good idea too, will try that next time I have it set up.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:43 PM

This is the 3rd winter for my cube, liked it so much I had to get a second one. 4 man cube is good for two people, holes, gear, heater and room to move when the action gets exciting. Needed the second one for any extra family or friends that come along.
Had a problem one day and broke a pole, called 810-733-6360 and talked to a nice gal. Can buy a set of 4 poles for $15. Will probably cost more for the shipping than the poles. Did not have any luck on the internet website.
I find if you are having trouble with your zipper the tension straps maybe to tight. I also don't anchor the wall strap on the side the door is on, only the other 3 sides. The wax on the zipper is a good idea too, will try that next time I have it set up.