Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-01-2015, 09:52 PM

Default Newbie NSR woes

Hi,

Im a newbie when it comes to fishing here in Canada (plenty of experience fishing in the UK though, although mainly stillwater) . Ive been here 6 years now, and only this last weekend decided to venture into the river valley to start enjoying the hidden gem most people just take for granted everyday.

Anyway, I have tried 3 spots with no success.

Terwillegar park - didnt realise so many dog owners are happy to let their prized pooches run towards a fisherman while casting.... soon decided to get out of there.

Quesnell Bridge - South side of the river under the bridge around the piers. Tried all sorts of soft bait and crawlers. not a nibble

Whitemud Creek meeting NSR - Tried 2 days in a row , nothing. think i had a few nibbles but no strikes. the ends of my night crawlers kept getting shorter. Tried there again today with minnows. Even guys with 8 yrs fishing knowledge of the area were getting skunked.

So, I just wanted to know what areas are hot right now, and what baits are you using to succeed.

Im thinking of getting some Gulp! Alive! minnows, leeches and night crawlers. My wife doesn't like me keeping bait in the fridge / freezer lol. what are your thoughts on the plastics with attractants ?

Also is a 9ft rod too big for the NSR ? thats what ive got my eye on at cabelas at the moment i find my little 5ft is way too short. that will teach me to buy cheap from walmart again. its way to flexible for casting anything with a decent weight to it.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:48 PM

What time you been out? NSR fishes better at dusk/ near dark.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:04 AM

Sunday Morning about 7am till about 2pm
Tuesday night 7-9.30 pm
Wed 11am-2pm
Old 07-02-2015, 06:58 AM
Banned

I'm 0 for 12 lifetime on the NSR but I wish you better luck over me
Old 07-02-2015, 08:09 AM

Head down to goldbar park i always catch something there
Old 07-03-2015, 10:26 PM

goldbar park or the outflow by the boat launch ? gonna take a look early tomorrow morning. thanks for the help much appreciated
Old 07-03-2015, 11:30 PM

Outflow for some walleye action
Old 07-04-2015, 08:30 AM

At the outflow right mow. Where exactly is best place? Lots of shallow weedy areas. Seen 1 fish jump in the foam so far.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:04 PM

skunked again tried the outfall at goldbar. thankyou whoever lost their line there btw. Lost 2 baited hooks to it must have been 40lb line it was so thick.

Got there about 5:30 this morning, saw pike jumping in the foam at the outfall but unable to convince it to land on my hook gave up there about 11 am and headed to hawrelak park, just downstream a little from the footbridge. Was under the bridge but all the stupid rowing boats dont know they should really keep distance from people fishing, luckily they only touched the line and didnt snag it. so i moved just past where they were all turning around. Tried my pickerel rigs, crankbait, bobber, spinners, spoons, jigheads. nothing was working

Headed out to wabamun with my brother tommorow, hoping to get some action there.

failing that im going to try whitemud creek junction with NSR again on tuesday eve.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:53 AM

Wabamun was great. Could only spend 2 hours today. But caught 2 decent size pike.
Shore fishing at the end of the canal