Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-04-2011, 07:49 PM

Default Any decent places to fish around Lloydminster?

Hi guy, well i am working in lloyd and i got the weekends off, unfortunatly i dont have a boat but i was wondering if anyone new of any decent spots a guy good catch a fish from shore. I can go east to saskatchewan or west to alberta doesnt matter to me. Any suggestions would help. Thanks
Old 06-04-2011, 08:14 PM

If the river ever smartens up ......
Old 06-04-2011, 08:22 PM

Ya i have tried the river a few times, caught one walleye so it hasn't even been worth the gas...
Old 06-04-2011, 09:17 PM

My family is from the Maclin/Provost area. I never fished around there until last year which is really sad. We stayed at Dillberry Lake Prov Park (Alberta side). They stock that lake with quite a few trout. I'm sure the water is to cold to wad in to but there are a few places you can fish from shore and catch something. You do need to be careful where you fish. Almost half the lake is in Sask and half in Alberta. If you stay on the Alberta side then no problem. The lake is about 30 to 45 mins south of Lloyd on Highway 17. In the later summer you can wade out about waist to chest deep just out from the swimming area and catch lots.

Another lake (in Sask) just south of Dillberry on Highway 17 at Rual Road 787 (about 5 miles south of Dillberry) there is a couple of lake around there. You may need a decent 4x4 to get to them as I'm not sure what the road conditions are like around there. I haven't fished those lakes but saw the camping sign's that show fishing as a possibility.

I haven't been up that way since last summer so others might be able to tell you what things are like more currently.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:42 PM

Budminster, right in town. Stocked with rainbows. Huge manmade pond, caught a few over 3lbs out of there.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett143 View Post
Hi guy, well i am working in lloyd and i got the weekends off, unfortunatly i dont have a boat but i was wondering if anyone new of any decent spots a guy good catch a fish from shore. I can go east to saskatchewan or west to alberta doesnt matter to me. Any suggestions would help. Thanks
Yes, Dillberry is a great place to go. Excellent campground, great hiking, there are rainbows and perch in there. Biggest rainbow I caught from there is 6lbs through the ice 3 years ago. Biggest perch- about 3/4lb. I released everything I caught. But word of advice, if you go there to keep fish, don't keep the perch. Rumour is they are wormy, depending on who you talk to. If you head there on a weekend, fish early in the morning or later in the evening when the water skiers are done doing their thing. The lake isn't big enough for that sort of thing. Don't forget your Sask fishing license if you fish anywhere on the Sask side, whichever lake you choose.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:10 AM

[QUOTE=Urban Nightmare;965961]My family is from the Maclin/Provost area. I never fished around there until last year which is really sad. We stayed at Dillberry Lake Prov Park (Alberta side). They stock that lake with quite a few trout. I'm sure the water is to cold to wad in to but there are a few places you can fish from shore and catch something. You do need to be careful where you fish. Almost half the lake is in Sask and half in Alberta. If you stay on the Alberta side then no problem. The lake is about 30 to 45 mins south of Lloyd on Highway 17. In the later summer you can wade out about waist to chest deep just out from the swimming area and catch lots.

Another lake (in Sask) just south of Dillberry on Highway 17 at Rual Road 787 (about 5 miles south of Dillberry) there is a couple of lake around there. You may need a decent 4x4 to get to them as I'm not sure what the road conditions are like around there. I haven't fished those lakes but saw the camping sign's that show fishing as a possibility.

The lakes you are thinking of is Suffern and Yonker. They are both on the Sask side, so a Sask fishing license is required. From Dillberry, head south on highway 17 for about 8-10 km. You will see a huge brown sign that says Suffern Lake Regional Park. Turn left ( East). Go about 5km till you see a little green sign that says Suffern Lake with an arrow pointing north. Turn North. Travel 16km north till you see another green sign that says the same thing. Turn right. You will be in the park. The lake will be on your left hand side as you travel further into the park. Nice quiet cottage area. Fishing can be good, can be outright bad at times too. I have done well there over the years. Had a close encounter with a bull moose during rutting season there once while fishing ( that was fun lol). Being that it is a regional park. There is a day use fee of $5.00. I never had to pay until the last time I was there and they approached me. Yonker Lake, is a 4x4 trail indeed. I have never been on it. Know roughly where it is at. Have hear of 6lb rainbows out of there but it has a tendency to winterkill.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:11 AM

Edit, turn left to get into Suffern Lake park, not turn right. Turning right will put you in the ditch lol.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:07 PM

At dilberry the co's say Alberta license covers the lake because it is maintained by the Alberta government, and there is no Saskatchewan access.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 06-05-2011, 06:29 PM

Being that the lake is regulated by the AB government. You can use your AB liscense on bothe sides of the border on the lake. However, you will be in violation if you use your Sask lisence on the AB side of the lake.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:35 PM

I never saw worms in dilberry last year or the year before in trout or perch, but in summer the rainbows were inedible, mushy, bleh.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 06-05-2011, 06:38 PM

Thanks for the clarification FlyFisher87. I have never been to Suffern Lake but I went to the Sask web site for it http://www.saskregionalparks.ca/index.php (just find it in the drop down). Sounds like a really nice little park. Might regret saying anything about it as it may turn in to a hot spot for vacation

Any way looking at the map it looks like you can also head in to Sask from highway 14 (Alberta side)/highway 40 (Sask side) and head south on highway 680. Stop you from having to back track.

There are also the Manito, Little Manito lakes around there also. I remember some of my family fishing in that area (that was 30 years ago). I see by google maps that a lot of those lake seem to have a lot of salt. Others may know what the Manito lakes are like.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:47 PM

Plus arm, clear, shuster, near edgerton, and all 1 mile apart.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:22 PM

What's Ministikwan like these days ?
Old 06-05-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Nightmare View Post
Thanks for the clarification FlyFisher87. I have never been to Suffern Lake but I went to the Sask web site for it http://www.saskregionalparks.ca/index.php (just find it in the drop down). Sounds like a really nice little park. Might regret saying anything about it as it may turn in to a hot spot for vacation

Any way looking at the map it looks like you can also head in to Sask from highway 14 (Alberta side)/highway 40 (Sask side) and head south on highway 680. Stop you from having to back track.

There are also the Manito, Little Manito lakes around there also. I remember some of my family fishing in that area (that was 30 years ago). I see by google maps that a lot of those lake seem to have a lot of salt. Others may know what the Manito lakes are like.
If you take Highway 14( AB side) east into Sask ( Highway 40) for about 13km just before Marsden, you will come to grid road 680, which when you turn south will take you to the suffern lake park turnoff. It is good road, can be rough at times, but will save you a lot of time. Manitou and Little Manitou lakes are fish barren to my knowledge. There was a kids summer camp at Manitou. Not sure if it is even still around. If you were to continue east on highway 40, about 71km, you will come to a little village called Cut Knife ( about 500 people). There will be a turn off just outside the town for another regional park ( the name escapes me, KenOvette might know) I was there only once. Anyways, there is a lake there called Bushy Lake as well as another lake ( again, the name escapes me). Bushy has walleye and perch. I have never fished either. But have relatives that do quite well there.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I never saw worms in dilberry last year or the year before in trout or perch, but in summer the rainbows were inedible, mushy, bleh.
I never noticed them in the trout there ever. But the perch have been known to have a wormy parasite in them years ago. I was fishing with a friend of mine who has fished the lake for about 40yrs. He told me the name of the parasite. Long story short, 3 years ago, we kept a couple we caught through the ice and never noticed anything out of the ordinary. The meat looked normal and they tasted all right.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
What's Ministikwan like these days ?
Haven't heard a report this year yet. Last year and the year before fished excellent from what my relatives said. I personally haven't fished there in about 10 years. Opted to fish Jumbo/Makwa/Turtle more with better success. Haven't been to any of those in 5 years. Ministikiwan treated me well over the years before that though.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Plus arm, clear, shuster, near edgerton, and all 1 mile apart.
You ever have any luck at Shuster Ken? I drew a big goose egg both times I tried it years ago.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher87 View Post
If you take Highway 14( AB side) east into Sask ( Highway 40) for about 13km just before Marsden, you will come to grid road 680, which when you turn south will take you to the suffern lake park turnoff. It is good road, can be rough at times, but will save you a lot of time. Manitou and Little Manitou lakes are fish barren to my knowledge. There was a kids summer camp at Manitou. Not sure if it is even still around. If you were to continue east on highway 40, about 71km, you will come to a little village called Cut Knife ( about 500 people). There will be a turn off just outside the town for another regional park ( the name escapes me, KenOvette might know) I was there only once. Anyways, there is a lake there called Bushy Lake as well as another lake ( again, the name escapes me). Bushy has walleye and perch. I have never fished either. But have relatives that do quite well there.
Manitou and little manitou are salt / mineral lakes no fish
Old 06-05-2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
You ever have any luck at Shuster Ken? I drew a big goose egg both times I tried it years ago.
You must have caught it on a bad day, usually can't keep them off your line. Nothing big, but lots... and lots of fun for the kids, especially through the ice.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
I have only tried in winter, it was the lake that got me back into ice fishing. It was good, but sure nothing big.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
You must have caught it on a bad day, usually can't keep them off your line. Nothing big, but lots... and lots of fun for the kids, especially through the ice.
Yeah, I gave up on it in favor of driving 3+ hours yo hook into a decent pike, walleye or two. Glad you did well.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linemanpete View Post
Manitou and little manitou are salt / mineral lakes no fish
Kind of figured that was why.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:16 PM

Default re

Shuster is pretty good, you will catch lots usually. Clear lake has some walleye(release only) and pike, but its a small lake with lots of boaters. I was there on Saterday and there were some people fishing for perch, I didnt know they were in the lake, but they said they caught one.

In the fishing regs, it says that Barnes (clear) lake has walleye, pike, perch, whitefish and burbot. I never heard that before, and all I have ever cause was pike and walleye. Has anybody ever caught anything else?

There is also a lake a few KM north of Dillberry, next to Salt Lake. This lake is called Gordons lake, and it is on the sask side. It is small, but nice scenery and is stocked with walleye. I talked to a C.O. and they said it probaly winterkilled, and they will restock it if they have extra fish...
Old 06-07-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
Shuster is pretty good, you will catch lots usually. Clear lake has some walleye(release only) and pike, but its a small lake with lots of boaters. I was there on Saterday and there were some people fishing for perch, I didnt know they were in the lake, but they said they caught one.

In the fishing regs, it says that Barnes (clear) lake has walleye, pike, perch, whitefish and burbot. I never heard that before, and all I have ever cause was pike and walleye. Has anybody ever caught anything else?

There is also a lake a few KM north of Dillberry, next to Salt Lake. This lake is called Gordons lake, and it is on the sask side. It is small, but nice scenery and is stocked with walleye. I talked to a C.O. and they said it probaly winterkilled, and they will restock it if they have extra fish...
Gordon has winterkilled quite a bit over the last few years. Too shallow.