Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-08-2017, 01:46 PM

Default Montana CWD

Just read today, Montana has confirmed their 5th case of CWD. This last case reported up on the hi line, between Chester Mt and the Canadian Border. This is not good news for WMU 104 in Southern Alberta. CWD was recorded in a mule deer buck. Seams Montana is of the opinion to eradicate all deer in a 10 sq mile area. This is supposedly one of the proposals on the table now. Today decisions are being made on the previous reported CWD cases in Montana. Not good news for the hunting community at large.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:23 PM

I just read that the F&G dept. is having a late season hunt due to CWD in southcentral Montana.. They are going to kill 1200 and study them.... 600 mule deer and 600 whitetails if I remember right.....
Old 12-08-2017, 08:37 PM

Good on them for nipping it in the butt right away! Too bad the public didn't let the government finish eradicating our CWD when it first arrived...
Old 12-08-2017, 08:59 PM
Banned

You’re right it’s not good.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:44 PM

The United States far surpasses Canada at wildlife management.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:43 AM

I hate to say it, but it's likely been there for a while, and much like here the further they test the further they will find it.

The only hope is this causes some additional funding to go into finding a vaccine or other management option.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leviwhitney View Post
Good on them for nipping it in the butt right away! Too bad the public didn't let the government finish eradicating our CWD when it first arrived...
IIRC our CFBs didn't fully cooperate with the cull, and we have a huge resorvoir population right next door in saskagopher where the ignorant game farmers are allowed to do whatever they want. Far as I'm concerned, we should be suing the overalls off those idiots.

Pretty good example of why private economic interests (including farming) cannot be allowed to influence wildlife management.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:54 AM

Ya look at us, we had a massive cull for years when it was first discovered and now I'd bet its higher than ever.
One group shot 4 mature muley bucks that all looked healthy and 3 were positive this year. I'd bet it's been there longer than they think and a lot more than they think. Alberta to.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:14 PM

If this is as serious to humans as they are now possibly thinking there should be mandatory test sites In these areas where you take your deer and have it tested before you leave the WMU.with the technology now days should be able to get same day results , need to start somewhere and it would probably surprise you how many of these positive deer are eaten each year !
Old 12-09-2017, 01:52 PM

Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by leviwhitney View Post
Eradicate? You could maybe do that on an island or in the walls of a prison, but you could never ensure success in the wild.
And what should we do about the spores on the forest floor?
I believe most scientists agree, you can slow it down, but you won't stop this.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
IIRC our CFBs didn't fully cooperate with the cull
You recall incorrectly....
Old 12-09-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcrazy View Post
You recall incorrectly....
Perhaps...Feel free to correct me, you'd be the guy to know. I don't remember there being an increase in wainwright tags/seasons? I do know there never has been a licensed mulie hunt on suffield or any hunt on cold lake.

Would it have changed much anyway? given the migration from sask...think we're pretty well stuck with getting our deer tested forever.

Be interesting to see if Montana will learn anything based on our experience.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Perhaps...Feel free to correct me, you'd be the guy to know. I don't remember there being an increase in wainwright tags/seasons?
You remembered wrong Licensed hunters were increased from 200 from 150, a 3rd antlerless tag was issued and 100 base tags (20 per season) with a shoot an antlerless deer first condition. All due to increasing harvest and getting the required heads for testing.

Once CWD was confirmed, winter kills of 2010/2012 the hunters and tags were reduced.

Quote:
think we're pretty well stuck with getting our deer tested forever.
The future of CWD testing will depend if it's a surveillance program (FW) or a human health program (AB Health) I would imagine and who will pay for it.

I feel bad for Montana but it was expected.

S
Old 12-09-2017, 09:17 PM

Not to mention the "earn a buck" program that was created in many of the "ground zero" zones.

LC