Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2015, 09:28 AM

Default Temporary foreign workers

I have been hearing about layoffs in the oil field I'm just wondering if anyone has noticed if any of the tfw are getting sent home?
Old 02-14-2015, 09:46 AM

Do they get some sort of protection clause?
Old 02-14-2015, 09:47 AM

Default Tfw

Things have to be pretty tough to start sending minimum wage people home.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:53 AM

I've noticed many more line-ups at my local coffee place, so, the TFW must be getting sent home.

I have absolutely no problem with hard-working people in entry-level jobs. It shows INITIATIVE, a lesson for us all.

-Willy
Old 02-14-2015, 09:33 PM

I agree.

Still the best guys in our company.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:15 AM

Was in Fort Mac two weeks ago and there were a lot of them with multiple suitcases waiting to board so am assuming they were heading home, wherever that is.

The guy that took me on a tour said in his two years there, it was the first time he had seen non-TFWs running the Safeway gas bar....

He said as the Visas expire and not being renewed they're leaving. Strange observation............out of the 10-12 women I saw, 80-90% were pregnant.

Just an observation...............others than work and live there would know more.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb-MBR View Post
Was in Fort Mac two weeks ago and there were a lot of them with multiple suitcases waiting to board so am assuming they were heading home, wherever that is.

The guy that took me on a tour said in his two years there, it was the first time he had seen non-TFWs running the Safeway gas bar....

He said as the Visas expire and not being renewed they're leaving. Strange observation............out of the 10-12 women I saw, 80-90% were pregnant.

Just an observation...............others than work and live there would know more.
I was just on a site in fort mac aswell, noticed a decline in tfws which is not a bad thing as Canadians are replacing them from what I saw. One mentioned that one tfw outright told him that they believe that if they get their wife or girlfriend pregnant that their chance of permanent residency increases. Not sure what part of temporary they do not understand
Old 02-15-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
I was just on a site in fort mac aswell, noticed a decline in tfws which is not a bad thing as Canadians are replacing them from what I saw. One mentioned that one tfw outright told him that they believe that if they get their wife or girlfriend pregnant that their chance of permanent residency increases. Not sure what part of temporary they do not understand
I wonder if the Philippines allows dual citizenship for the child if they are born in Canada.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
I wonder if the Philippines allows dual citizenship for the child if they are born in Canada.
No idea how that would work
Old 02-15-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
No idea how that would work
I googled.

Philippines allows dual citizenship, so if the baby was born here, he/she would be a citizen and could return as an adult.

Can't see how that benefits the parents of a child with dual citizenship though.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:14 PM

Riden's right. If the child born here he gets the canadian passport and can return here eventually (i guess after 18yo). For the parents it means zilch, maybe when (if) the child chooses to get here (s)he can bring parents over through the sponsorship.
How do i know? I was translating the correspondence between Immigration Canada and a girl who came to Canada under spousal sponsorship, pregnant, and whose marriage ended pretty much at the airport. She's still in the process of getting the final answer. To the point - one of the things I gathered from Immigration Canada - canadian born child doesn't automatically guarantee the PR for the parent(s). It may be a tiny little pebble to move the scale into the favorable position IF everything else is taken care of.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak77 View Post
Riden's right. If the child born here he gets the canadian passport and can return here eventually (i guess after 18yo). For the parents it means zilch, maybe when (if) the child chooses to get here (s)he can bring parents over through the sponsorship.
How do i know? I was translating the correspondence between Immigration Canada and a girl who came to Canada under spousal sponsorship, pregnant, and whose marriage ended pretty much at the airport. She's still in the process of getting the final answer. To the point - one of the things I gathered from Immigration Canada - canadian born child doesn't automatically guarantee the PR for the parent(s). It may be a tiny little pebble to move the scale into the favorable position IF everything else is taken care of.
Read an article last year about an operation in BC, where pregnant Chinese women were brought into Canada as "visitors" and the fact they were pregnant was hidden as much as possible.

These women stayed in Canada for quite some time as most were early in their pregnancy when they arrived. The women gave birth using midwives in BC, with the entire goal being, the child would be a Canadian citizen and in adulthood, could sponsor family in family class immigration applications.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:26 PM

Arrow TFW's

Personally, I'm going to be very sorry to see them go. Most (if not all) of them whom I have met are honest, hardworking people ... and very grateful for the chance to come and work in Canada. It's unfortunate that they couldn't be allowed to stay, and become Canadian citizens.

We need more like them!

Mac
Old 02-15-2015, 01:35 PM
Banned

Last edited by edmhunter; 02-15-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
Personally, I'm going to be very sorry to see them go. Most (if not all) of them whom I have met are honest, hardworking people ... and very grateful for the chance to come and work in Canada. It's unfortunate that they couldn't be allowed to stay, and become Canadian citizens.

We need more like them!

Mac
I agree mostly with this post but I've seen first hand how hard working temporary workers turn into regular lazy workers, after they get their residency. I'm sad to see most of them go but TFW have no right working when canadian citizens are getting laid off. Keeping Canadians employed keeps more money in our economy. We should look after our own people first!
Old 02-15-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:

We need more like them!

Mac
^what he said^
Funny how three months ago working a low wage job was below the dignity of the same folks that are now bent all out shape about tfw working at Tim's and rotten ronny's.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:16 PM

Some people need to open their eyes past the fast food tfws. Come work for a week or two in the industrial side with them. They are a HUGE hazard, some things I have seen them do is beyond mind blowing. Then we have the language barrier. The companys abuse the TFW program to begin with and qualified Canadians are being turned down. Most TFWs do not help the economy one bit as I have had them tell me that they send every penny they can home and once their term is up here, they go back and live the good life. Canada is being used and abused.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Some people need to open their eyes past the fast food tfws. Come work for a week or two in the industrial side with them. They are a HUGE hazard, some things I have seen them do is beyond mind blowing. Then we have the language barrier. The companys abuse the TFW program to begin with and qualified Canadians are being turned down. Most TFWs do not help the economy one bit as I have had them tell me that they send every penny they can home and once their term is up here, they go back and live the good life. Canada is being used and abused.
^^^^ 100% correct!
Old 02-15-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
I agree.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:

We need more like them!

Mac
Agreed.
We have some in our town and they have helped at least double the level of service and efficiency of the businesses they work for. In one case, they turned around that business' balance sheet, by rebuilding the customer base.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I don't doubt your claims, but I suggest we go after the employers that are abusing the tfw system rather than the tfw that simply looking for an oppertunity to better themselves and their families.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:18 PM

The Feds tightened the TFW regulations because there is proof the fast-food wages rose at a much lower pace than the rest of industry. I can't find the link but it's there. Employer abuse was so widespread there wasn't enough bureaucracy to enforce the rules, so they tightened said rules. Kudos to Harper!!
Old 02-15-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
I agree.

Still the best guys in our company.
x2.....I agree with you guys
Old 02-15-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAMxr View Post
I agree mostly with this post but I've seen first hand how hard working temporary workers turn into regular lazy workers, after they get their residency. I'm sad to see most of them go but TFW have no right working when canadian citizens are getting laid off. Keeping Canadians employed keeps more money in our economy. We should look after our own people first!

Ive seen a heck of alot more canadians who start their careers as lazy workers and never develop into anything more.....you dont have to look too far to find young, fresh out of school self entitled albertan kids who think its their god given right to make $100K+ a year as unskilled workers just because they were born here. And none of them would dream of doing many of the roles that are filled by TFW's.

I would need pages to list all the canadians who have tried working for us over the last 5 years and couldnt hack it.....i can count on one hand the amount of TFW's that even complained, let alone walked away.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
Ive seen a heck of alot more canadians who start their careers as lazy workers and never develop into anything more.....you dont have to look too far to find young, fresh out of school self entitled albertan kids who think its their god given right to make $100K+ a year as unskilled workers just because they were born here. And none of them would dream of doing many of the roles that are filled by TFW's.

I would need pages to list all the canadians who have tried working for us over the last 5 years and couldnt hack it.....i can count on one hand the amount of TFW's that even complained, let alone walked away.
X2
Old 02-15-2015, 06:23 PM

I would like to highlight a few facts and myths about TFW
Myth: they do not contribute to the economy and send their money home.
They still pay income tax, EI and have to buy food, clothes, gas etc on which they pay GST. What they do with their disposable income is up to them. The reason most of them don't invest in Canada is because of the uncertainty of their future and all the red tape with immigration ( a necessary process but it takes a long time to get your PR)

Myth: they are stealing Canadian jobs
They work the jobs Canadians refuse to do for minimum wage. Mopping floors, scrubbing toilets and flipping burgers. Very few of those jobs pay any benefits. I am yet to see Canadians fight for those kind of jobs. if immigrants have permanent residence, they can apply for any job. If they fill a position in a workplace, they probably had better qualifications/ experience than the other guys (Canadian born) in the interview, so the best man got the job

Myth: having kids here will fast track your immigration
It will not. Your kids are Canadian citizens, but will not help you in any way

Fact: TFW just want to be treated with respect and dignity. 99% of people on this forums' great grand parents were also immigrants once. They made the move for them and their families for a better life, much for the same reasons as the TFW.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
I would like to highlight a few facts and myths about TFW
Myth: they do not contribute to the economy and send their money home.
They still pay income tax, EI and have to buy food, clothes, gas etc on which they pay GST. What they do with their disposable income is up to them. The reason most of them don't invest in Canada is because of the uncertainty of their future and all the red tape with immigration ( a necessary process but it takes a long time to get your PR)

Myth: they are stealing Canadian jobs
They work the jobs Canadians refuse to do for minimum wage. Mopping floors, scrubbing toilets and flipping burgers. Very few of those jobs pay any benefits. I am yet to see Canadians fight for those kind of jobs. if immigrants have permanent residence, they can apply for any job. If they fill a position in a workplace, they probably had better qualifications/ experience than the other guys (Canadian born) in the interview.

Myth: having kids here will fast track your immigration
It will not. Your kids are Canadian citizens, but will not help you in any way

Fact: TFW just want to be treated with respect and dignity. 99% of people on this forums' great grand parents were also immigrants once. They made the move for them and their families for a better life, much for the same reasons as the TFW.
I will agree that the majority we see daily are doing service jobs that pay poorly, and Albertans don't want those jobs.

But there are a lot driving trucks as well and quite a few TFW tradesmen in Alberta too. I am really on the fence with these guys. I can see both sides of the argument.

Didn't ATCO bring in 300 Filipino power lineman into Alberta. Meanwhile, ATCO spends more time poaching tradesmen that training them (at least where I am at). I think we need to be really careful about this end of TFW's.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
Please read

Anchor babies
http://www.thestar.com/news/immigrat...dian_soil.html

Tourism babies is a larger issue
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/materni...irth-1.1974665
Old 02-15-2015, 08:12 PM

Default Tfw

The majority of these folks are hard working people that actually show up for work everyday . However should we have a need for them as long as we have people on Welfare or Unemployment Insurance Benefits in our Country. Business Owners should not become wealthier because of these Hard Working TFW's
Cut the Welfare Payments and EI payments , maybe will not have a problem finding workers
Old 02-15-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoat01 View Post
The majority of these folks are hard working people that actually show up for work everyday . However should we have a need for them as long as we have people on Welfare or Unemployment Insurance Benefits in our Country. Business Owners should not become wealthier because of these Hard Working TFW's
Cut the Welfare Payments and EI payments , maybe will not have a problem finding workers
Problem isnt welfare or ei, the problem is some business owners will hire TFW because they know they can hire them and not pay fairly and not pay benefits and not treat them properly because they dont know the laws of the land.

If you think that "welfare" pays all that much give your head a shake.
I had to use welfare when my son was a baby and my ei ran out. My son was critically ill, and in the childrens hospital. The amount I received was not enough to cover my rent and food and rent at that time was for a basement suite and this was in 2006. They have since cut it back from my understanding. So if you are going to attack a program that is there to help people who are in need, you really should know what your talking about.

Sure there are some people who abuse the program, but that is like anything. It gets abused, but you eliminate the abusers. If you think it is easy to make ends meet on pennies each month you try it... cause those who are doing it aren't doing it by choice 98% of the time.

Now the employers who are abusing the TFW program are doing it by choice and they should be punished, however most people who are in a position to speak up are either to scared to speak up or refuse to do so.