Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-19-2015, 10:23 PM

Default delete

A 20 some year old guy goes out of control in a bus, the bus driver drops him off at Elk Island Park & the guy gets run over by a semi. The family wants something done. To who I ask. Various people over the last while try to protect their house with force & it is they who are at fault. I call this the, (age of no responsibility). Could go on with a lot more examples. Is it just me getting tired of this same old thing going on and on? What ever happened to taking responsibility for one's actions or paying the price for stupidity?
Old 02-19-2015, 10:31 PM

Maybe the family should have done something prior.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
A 20 some year old guy goes out of control in a bus, the bus driver drops him off at Elk Island Park & the guy gets run over by a semi. The family wants something done. To who I ask. Various people over the last while try to protect their house with force & it is they who are at fault. I call this the, (age of no responsibility). Could go on with a lot more examples. Is it just me getting tired of this same old thing going on and on? What ever happened to taking responsibility for one's actions or paying the price for stupidity?
Hypothetically I restrain this individual, and he dies, will I be guilty?

What is the definition of reason?

What is your relationship to this event?

Over and out.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
I understand what you are saying, and worse yet is I'm sure someone driving along minding there business seen this person get run over or hit and never said or will say a thing about it. Other people harden some people to such a degree where they simply just couldn't give a darn. Nice world we live in ain't it,and I'm sure the trucker sleeps well at night to boot. Shame on you society
Old 02-19-2015, 11:50 PM

Generally speaking, I'd agree that we are definitely living in an "it's not my fault" culture.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:23 AM

The driver of the semi.............. now has to live with the horror of running over this guy. He should sue the family of the deceased because they did not do anything to stop it................. just saying !

It's the age of the nanny state. I am so glad I am at the end of my career and not the beginning.

Not a lick of common sense any more.

Dog_River
Old 02-20-2015, 10:55 PM

My version I heard about this story...
A young guy buys a ticket on a "pub crawl bus" that heads out to a few bars east of Edm. The organizers who were initially happy to accept his payment, and most probably turned a blind eye to the drinking going on while the bus is enroute now decide he is too drunk to keep him on the bus any longer, so they toss him out on a major Hwy (16) at night at the turnoff to Elk Island Park on the way back to Edm. He gets run over while staggering around trying to thumb a ride, and the organizers say "not our problem!" If that were any of MY children getting tossed off the bus, YEAH, I GOT A BIG PROBLEM WITH THAT!!! If any died, that would be another story not discussed any further here.

Same thing if a cab driver suddenly decides to dump you or your wife out while crossing through the sketchy part of town on the way home for whatever reason, since he is a self-employed businessman looking for the quickest buck and a better fare, some of you guys would have no problem with that either?
Old 02-21-2015, 12:45 AM

So the guy drinks himself out of control and it's the organizers or the bus drivers fault. Sorry I don't agree. On the other hand if this was an organized drunk it appears it was doomed from the beginning.

A guy drinks too much and kills someone while driving. Is it the person's fault that got hit? Again, no responsibility!!!!! I know, it isn't going to change but I sure find it frustrating. Best friend lost his 18 yr old daughter to drunk idiot. People that do that are pathetic.

Sometimes people cause their own demise wether we agree or not.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:55 AM

Default Skidderman breaking news

Quote:
Originally Posted by garf View Post
A young guy buys a ticket on a "pub crawl bus" that heads out to a few bars east of Edm. The organizers who were initially happy to accept his payment, and most probably turned a blind eye to the drinking going on while the bus is enroute now decide he is too drunk to keep him on the bus any longer, so they toss him out on a major Hwy (16) at night at the turnoff to Elk Island Park on the way back to Edm. He gets run over while staggering around trying to thumb a ride, and the organizers say "not our problem!" If that were any of MY children getting tossed off the bus, YEAH, I GOT A BIG PROBLEM WITH THAT!!! If any died, that would be another story not discussed any further here.

Same thing if a cab driver suddenly decides to dump you or your wife out while crossing through the sketchy part of town on the way home for whatever reason, since he is a self-employed businessman looking for the quickest buck and a better fare, some of you guys would have no problem with that either?
I stand by my story "skidderman", and the perspective from my 22 y/o children who actually live in the area. You want to expand on any of your comments, or just stick with the blame on the general youth out for a good time on a Saturday night?
Old 02-21-2015, 07:41 AM

Default Bus

Totally unacceptable. The guy was on a booze bus to have fun and be safe, people get drunk on those things that's how it works. The organisers and booze bus driver should bear some of the fault. I've never been on a pub crawl like that but I can't imagine the stupidity of kicking soneone out ont the highway.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:02 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist View Post
Generally speaking, I'd agree that we are definitely living in an "it's not my fault" culture.
Yep and too easily throw out I'm sorry, or point fingers and lay blame with no accountability.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-21-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist View Post
"the age of entitlement"

LC
Old 02-21-2015, 08:55 AM

In these days exposures to high profile institutions via mass media, it's hard not to learn. There is much focus on that which is negative.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:06 AM

What time of year did this happen?

Remember the outcry that happened when it was the RCMP that would give some habitual problem drunks a free ride to the outskirts of the city?

I see it as a bigger problem......bars want the profit from drinking.....promote excessive drinking with shooters and drinks like redbull+alchol....then don't hire the staff to deal with the (is it really that unexpected) evitable outcome and problems.

When you throw gasoline on a fire, do you warn the kids roasting marshmallows first? Or do you say it's a good lesson for them, and they need to be more responsible? Now 20yrs old is not exactly a kid, but the maturity level is not the same as it was 30yrs ago....that's a cultural and societal factor.

So what exactly is the purpose of a "bus pub crawl". Why doesn't everyone just drive?? It's very obvious......it's underlying concept is drinking much more than you'd be able to drive with......and having at least one drink at each location.....which could mean only 2???? !!!.....not likely......more like the better part of a dozen. Plus you have the whole atmosphere of other people drinking like fish.

This was designed to be an excessive drinking event. Who organized this???? The establishments that were to gain the business???

And where was the security/bouncers? Probably the ones that amped the conflict up versus calming things down....which lots do......and if they threw him off the bus on a highway, it goes to their mentality.

Ask yourself thus scenario......on a hunting trip, you and your hunting partner getting into a heated arguement. Do you a) try to calm things down b) leave it alone and let things cool down c) turn around and return home d) drop him at the next town so that can arrange a ride home e) stop the truck and kick him out on the highway.

Or on a fishing trip, do you pull over the shore and kick him out.

It is totally irresponsible to not foresee the additional troubles cause by this.
The responsible person, takes responsibility for those in his vehicle and leaves them where it appropriate.....not on the side of the highway at night.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:24 AM

If it was a booze bus event I would think they would pull over, call the RCMP and have him removed safely. Just my thoughts.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
I stand by my story "skidderman", and the perspective from my 22 y/o children who actually live in the area. You want to expand on any of your comments, or just stick with the blame on the general youth out for a good time on a Saturday night?
The above illustrates what is wrong with society... "Good time" and "having fun" Does not involve acting like an idiot and thinking there won't be consequences. (I don't know what he did or didn't do. I'm speaking to the overall trend of irresponsibility. And I'm in that age group). There's a lot of things that one guy can cause to go wrong on a bus going highway speed.

Who drank too much? That's who is the problem. Not everyone else. It's unfortunate, and I highly doubt anyone involved intended to cause harm. But the blame lies entirely with the person who engaged in substance abuse.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:57 PM

There was obviously an error in judgement from both parties involved. Its an event where, if not intentionally designed to do so, would not be uncommen for customers to get drunk. I don't know the specific legislation in Alberta, but if an establishment serves you until your drunk in BC, you are their responsibility. That being said, just because someone is drunk, shouldn't void them of responsibility for their actions.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:38 PM

Quote:

They were warned before getting on the bus,There is only one rule you start fighting you will be thrown off the bus.He started several fights and they threw him off.End of story,another case of an idiot bieng an idiot,only this time paying the ultimate price.