Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 08:43 AM
Banned

Default Update - Deryl Ring and confrontation with snowmobilers..

Interesting how this ended..

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...lers-1.2963087
Old 02-20-2015, 09:05 AM

Best to SSS........not completely serious but recreational ATV'ers are pests on the landscape. We have had close to a $1000 in tree's/ shelter-belts damaged by trespassing snowmobiles/quads over the past couple years, I understand the emotions than can get involved. We came up with a deterrent system last summer which shouldn't even be needed on posted private land. Good news is it seems to work as the dummies are creatures of habit.

Glad the landowner got off relatively easy, wish the snowmobilers were held accountable though.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:07 AM
Banned

Smerechanski stated they were riding across fields when they made a wrong turn on to private land.

It's all private land, you trespassing idiot.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCutthroat View Post
Best to SSS........not completely serious but recreational ATV'ers are pests on the landscape. We have had close to a $1000 in tree's/ shelter-belts damaged by trespassing snowmobiles/quads over the past couple years, I understand the emotions than can get involved. We came up with a deterrent system last summer which shouldn't even be needed on posted private land. Good news is it seems to work as the dummies are creatures of habit.

Glad the landowner got off relatively easy, wish the snowmobilers were held accountable though.
X2
Old 02-20-2015, 09:11 AM
Banned

I think mr. Ring was very lucky to only get the sentence he recieved. I can understand how frustrated he must have felt if he thought his livestock was being harrased, but by the time it gets to court there is no question that he assaulted one of the riders and near the end of the clip his shotgun "sweeps" the rider. That alone could have cost him a heavy fine or jailtime.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:01 AM

When I first moved to Alberta almost 20 years ago, I was surprised and disheartened to hear how seriously landowners take trespassing. As in threatening, prosecuting, and even shooting to kill. I owe my perspective to being raised in the Maritimes where trespassing is simply an accepted, neighbourly practice, so long as you aren't vandalizing. Two different worlds...

Just reflecting, not judging either way...
Old 02-20-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
When I first moved to Alberta almost 20 years ago, I was surprised and disheartened to hear how seriously landowners take trespassing. As in threatening, prosecuting, and even shooting to kill. I owe my perspective to being raised in the Maritimes where trespassing is simply an accepted, neighbourly practice, so long as you aren't vandalizing. Two different worlds...

Just reflecting, not judging either way...
You just described rural Alberta in the 70's and early 80's. I leave it up to others to speculate why it changed. Having owned a farm, nothing used to wind me up more than total strangers wandering around without permission on my or my neighbors cultivated property without any remorse.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
You just described rural Alberta in the 70's and early 80's. I leave it up to others to speculate why it changed. Having owned a farm, nothing used to wind me up more than total strangers wandering around without permission on my or my neighbors cultivated property without any remorse.
X2 Leo. I agree. However, coming from a small community. We usually knew who it was, and therefore did not worry about locals crossing our fields. However when they come and ripped apart our driveway that was a different story.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:55 PM
Banned

that guy is straight mental. pull up, stop them, and explain that they're in the wrong spot.

once that's done post your land as private and no trespassing because guys like to follow tracks.

that being said my neighbor crosses my land with his sled all the time. i make sure when i clear the snow off my driveway he still has a way to go through so he and his daughter can go have some fun
Old 02-20-2015, 02:34 PM

Given the times we live in, I suppose the guy was lucky to get the penalty he got.

Now, what about the trespassers? If they got off with no penalty, then it is basically a sick joke. They had to have know full well that they had to have been/were trespassing at the time. Running roughshod/trespassing/damaging private property has to stop and letting people like this (trespassers) off the hook is not going to do it.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:46 PM

I really believe if you are a respectful off road recreational vehicle owner/driver
That you are truly in the minority category! I constantly see and hear heavy handed throttle squeezers that want to use all 100+hp no matter where or what or who's terrain their wheels are traveling upon.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
that guy is straight mental. pull up, stop them, and explain that they're in the wrong spot.

once that's done post your land as private and no trespassing because guys like to follow tracks.

that being said my neighbor crosses my land with his sled all the time. i make sure when i clear the snow off my driveway he still has a way to go through so he and his daughter can go have some fun
Do you hunt on non posted private land without permission?

Why is it up to the farmer to post his land and not up to the sledder to ask permission before entering the property?
Old 02-20-2015, 02:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by expmler View Post
Why is it up to the farmer to post his land and not up to the sledder to ask permission before entering the property?
i said it was because people like to follow tracks

it's the truth sledders always follow other sledders tracks so it would be wise to post by the tracks

he doesn't have to but i guess he'll find out what happens
Old 02-20-2015, 02:54 PM

So 2 guys are tresspassing, the land owner confronts them and the land owner gets charged and the tresspassers are free to go.

Seems legit.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:56 PM

You have to be careful these days with everyone wearing Go Pros. One has to wonder how many wrong turns into private property are made by snow machine users who then claim they didn't know.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:

Fisheo,

What is your address?

I want to do some wheeling with a bunch of buddies and tear up your land.

I don't need your permission. Just your address.

If there are any no trespassing signs we will tear them down and claim we did not see them.

I will make sure we all wear go pros so when you freak out we can say you are mental and take you to the cleaners. We have mad editing skills!

Thank you
Old 02-20-2015, 03:07 PM

This idiot was completely unhinged!!!!! I completely understand his frustration with dummies on his property, but his reaction to this was deadly force?!?! And sorry to all the hill billies who feel they can offer to kill someone for damage to their trees, or for scaring your lievestock, but wow...this guy got off way too easy in my opinion.

And before you ask where I live NEWB, I'm on a little acreage just outside Cold Lake. I've got several hundred dollars invested in a green belt, and if a retard on a sled / dirt bike / quad was to come through my property I would definitely be upset. Would I be upset enough to threaten to kill the guy?! I DON'T THINK SO!!!!!

This idiot should NEVER be allowed to possess firearms.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:15 PM

In sask the trespassing law states the land needs to be posted. If no sign that says "no trespassing" or "private property" it is a free for all. If you find someone on your unposted land, you can tell him to leave. If he refuses, or comes back later he is trespassing.
So the snowmobilers in this case were in the clear because there were no signs to tell them to keep out
Old 02-20-2015, 03:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWB View Post
Fisheo,

What is your address?

I want to do some wheeling with a bunch of buddies and tear up your land.

I don't need your permission. Just your address.

If there are any no trespassing signs we will tear them down and claim we did not see them.

I will make sure we all wear go pros so when you freak out we can say you are mental and take you to the cleaners. We have mad editing skills!

Thank you
4119 50 Street, Leduc, AB

city people
Old 02-20-2015, 03:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcutter View Post
This idiot was completely unhinged!!!!! I completely understand his frustration with dummies on his property, but his reaction to this was deadly force?!?! And sorry to all the hill billies who feel they can offer to kill someone for damage to their trees, or for scaring your lievestock, but wow...this guy got off way too easy in my opinion.

And before you ask where I live NEWB, I'm on a little acreage just outside Cold Lake. I've got several hundred dollars invested in a green belt, and if a retard on a sled / dirt bike / quad was to come through my property I would definitely be upset. Would I be upset enough to threaten to kill the guy?! I DON'T THINK SO!!!!!

i agree

i cant believe some people are advocating the use of deadly force over such a simple thing solved with a little awareness
Old 02-20-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
So 2 guys are tresspassing, the land owner confronts them and the land owner gets charged and the tresspassers are free to go.

Seems legit.
With a shotgun is the key!! Not just confrontation, but with a firearm. This isn't the Wild West anymore.

Trespassing is bad I've had a few I've dealt with but I've never thought about bringing a gun to the party. Where do we live Afganistan??
Old 02-20-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
4119 50 Street, Leduc, AB
Thanks!

Here is mine!

9620 - 103A Avenue Edmonton,
AB

If you think it is ok to tresspass then post up your real address.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcutter View Post

Give your head a shake if you think I was serious about tresspassing.

I am uncertain as to what kind of encounters he has had in the past or damage done on his property. In his mind was sufficient to warrant that action.

There are different methods to address situations like this.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
If you think it is ok to tresspass then post up your real address.
who said it was ok?

i said it's not ok to threaten to shoot someone over such a stupid thing. guns aren't meant for violence they're used as tools. he used his in a violent manner as the aggressor.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
I am uncertain as to what kind of encounters he has had in the past or damage done on his property. In his mind was sufficient to warrant that action.
no property damage is worth taking someones life.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
who said it was ok?

i said it's not ok to threaten to shoot someone over such a stupid thing. guns aren't meant for violence they're used as tools. he used his in a violent manner as the aggressor.
He was using it as a tool to convey a message.

Quote:
no property damage is worth taking someones life.
Then you have nothing to worry about when my buddies and I tear up your land with our jacked up dodge dulleys and sleds. Perhaps we will do a little hunting on there too!
Old 02-20-2015, 03:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
He was using it as a tool to convey a message.

Then you have nothing to worry about when my buddies and I tear up your land with our jacked up dodge dulleys and sleds. Perhaps we will do a little hunting on there too!
i'm not going to get baited into a fight with you.

if you do as you threatened in your message to me "find my property" then i'll simply call the cops.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:

if you do as you threatened in your message to me "find my property" then i'll simply call the cops.
It was not a threat. Feel free to contact them and I would love to have a conversation with them.

If you can not back it up then that is fine. Just say so.

I do not own a dodge dulley, nor a sled. I was illustrating a point. You seemed to become freaked out and paranoid when I mentioned my buddies and I would come up and tear up your land.

This was a complete 180 from when you did not have a problem with it initially.

Hope this was put into terms you can understand.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
It was not a threat. Feel free to contact them and I would love to have a conversation with them.

If you can not back it up then that is fine. Just say so.

I do not own a dodge dulley, nor a sled. I was illustrating a point. You seemed to become freaked out and paranoid when I mentioned my buddies and I would come up and tear up your land.

This was a complete 180 from when you did not have a problem with it initially.

Hope this was put into terms you can understand.
i think it was a simple misunderstanding this is from my first post that you quoted

Quote:
pull up, stop them, and explain that they're in the wrong spot.
basically what he did minus the gun.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:51 PM
Banned

Quote:

Will you ask the cops to leave their guns at home.
Closed Thread