Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-20-2015, 12:23 PM

Default Boxing

Finally....Should have been a boxer...

Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather agree $250m Las Vegas mega-fight
The most lucrative match-up in boxing history between Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao has finally been agreed after years of haggling.

A source close to the Filipino boxer revealed to that Pacquiao has completed his contractual agreements and that Mayweather is set to sign and will announce the contest which is expected to be worth US $250 million in the coming days.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:25 PM

may actually watch this fight
Old 02-20-2015, 12:30 PM

So after years of dodging Pacquiao, Mayweather is finally stepping up. It's too bad that Manny has lost a step and he's on the downside of his career. I don't like it, but I think Mayweather can take him now. I'd like to see Mayweather go up in weight and take on Gennady Golovkin. That Russian is a heavy, heavy puncher.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:31 PM

As much as I despise Mayweather....I think hes going to take Manny. Manny has slowed down a lot. It will go to a decision vote. No KO's in this one.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside2014 View Post
As much as I despise Mayweather....I think hes going to take Manny. Manny has slowed down a lot. It will go to a decision vote. No KO's in this one.
x2

orv.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:38 PM

Has Mayweather ever fought an opponent who was his equal? Prime vs prime so to speak? Seems like he talks alot, defiantly can fight but seems to put off the big fights until the advantage is his.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:43 PM
Banned

I'll be watching, nothing like Marquess of Queensberry rules! More interesting then grappling.

Last edited by edmhunter; 02-20-2015 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:12 PM

Default boxing

I coach, used to box...love the game. That said, I think this fight is making a fool of true fans....both could have fought in the prime, but not a good business plan for either. I do not like Mayweather, however he can slip like no other, and can throw punched in bunches. Manny is easy to like, fast, hit like 30 06....would love to have seen this 4 years ago.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:16 PM
Banned

Sugar Ray Leonard v. Roberto Duran, that's what I miss!
Old 02-20-2015, 02:43 PM

The only real sign that Pacquiao has lost a lot is his KO at the hands of Marquez. This happened because he got cocky and Marquez landed a clean shot while he was coming in.
Mayweather is and always has been beatable by anyone who has sense enough not to forsake the jab and who will pound right hooks into Mayweather's kidneys every time he turns his back. The downside for Pacquiao is his tendency to be vulnerable to a straight right. Mayweather throws a great right cross and is good at timing it. If Pacquiao refuses to step to his left and makes Floyd turn instead, he can win. If he takes the bait and starts moving to his left to try and get in front of Mayweather, he'll get knocked out, again. If he can make Floyd turn to throw his right, it will slow down the delivery and allow him to land his own right hook over Mayweather's always low,left or land a straight left inside. Manny should have the composure to do this but time will tell. Mayweather's gift is the ability to make others fight his fight.
The fight has the potential to be a very awkward-looking affair. With one man a southpaw and the other one who always turns away to his own right, that kidney shot may remain the only real option. The hope would be that the referee would see it as accidental as a result of styles. Otherwise, there is a risk of points deduction. The big thing is to keep the pressure on and look out for that right hand. Pacquiao should truly have learned the lesson regarding right hands. If he hasn't, he'll hit the deck. If he avoids that right, he'll win a decision. I don't see Mayweather getting knocked out under any circumstances. He's way too good at getting out of trouble. On the other hand, Pacquiao has always shown a willingness to take risks.
If the fight generates that much money, who deserves to cash in more than the fighters? Leeper
Old 02-20-2015, 07:00 PM

My money is on manny.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby2unes View Post
So after years of dodging Pacquiao, Mayweather is finally stepping up. It's too bad that Manny has lost a step and he's on the downside of his career. I don't like it, but I think Mayweather can take him now. I'd like to see Mayweather go up in weight and take on Gennady Golovkin. That Russian is a heavy, heavy puncher.
x2
Old 02-20-2015, 07:52 PM

Default Hard to believe anyone still cares(?)

The whole game is SO corrupt. If and when boxing gets its act together and imposes some actual rules, and a believable hierarchy system, I might get interested. Until then, it is just a mountain of corruption, ripping off its remaining fans and the public, and it is dead.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:01 PM

Where can you even watch these matches? I used to enjoy watching Sugar vs Duran and Ali vs Foreman....nothing quite like heavy weights that can actually box.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
Where can you even watch these matches? I used to enjoy watching Sugar vs Duran and Ali vs Foreman....nothing quite like heavy weights that can actually box.

Growing up as a kid we always seemed to be watching the big boys fight on the television.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Growing up as a kid we always seemed to be watching the big boys fight on the television.
That's way back when it was on ABC's Wide world of sports, early 70's with Howard.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post
That's way back when it was on ABC's Wide world of sports, early 70's with Howard.
Yup I remember my mother holding the rabbit ears on the tv just right so we could watch Ali fight his last fight lol
Old 02-21-2015, 11:20 PM
Banned

Money and politics play a role.

Unfortunately I have always been on the side of poverty.

At his prime Manny is good.

fair-weather a player.

Post #10 seems to understand and dives the best observation.

I always thought the bulldog Olsen wasn’t what the world wanted.

But I live in central Alberta.