Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-30-2017, 11:50 AM

Default Saskatchewan 2017 season

2017 hunting season has come to an end for my wife and I. We had a great season here in Saskatchewan and were very lucky to draw two either-sex moose and one mule deer tags.

I started off the season by filling my draw either-sex bull moose tag with this beautiful 49 inch bull. I ended up shooting him with the smoke pole, early morning on a week day and couldn't get any help from my buddies as they were all working. I ended up gutting, skinning, quartering and packing the moose all by myself. Took me about 4 hours and slept like a baby that night, woke up sore as hell for the next two days though.

Then I filled my draw either-sex mule deer tag with this beautiful mule deer buck with the muzzle loader. Taking care of that guy by myself was nothing compared to that moose, I had forgotten my camera tripod so we headed out back behind the house for a photo shoot the evening!

Next, my wife managed to get time off work and we got to spend a couple days out looking to fill her moose tag. We ended up finding three bull moose chilling together, she remained calm, took her time and took a great shot on this 37 inch bull moose at 150yds, then proceeded to freak out, to be honest, I kind of freaked out like a little girl myself, I was and still am very proud of her. It was her second animal after filling her 2016 draw mule deer tag with a 194 4/8 non-typical mule buck. She had no clue what she was getting herself into, she had seen me field dress deer before and realized just how big a moose was until she walked up to it! Took us about an hour to field dress, quarter and pack it back to the truck.

I finished off our season filling my regular either-sex whitetail deer tag with my biggest whitetail buck to date. Very proud of this deer, he completely caught me off guard. To recap, I had missed a 140-150inch buck the day before and ended up giving him a haircut, no blood and even caught a glimpse of him while I was staring at a huge pile of hair on the ground, what I saw was a great looking deer with a tuft of hair missing on its back. I didn't sleep much that night, kept replaying it in my head, tossing and turning and trying to convince myself that it wasn't so bad after all, that I hadn't injured the deer and that I might get an other shot at him this season or the next if he pulled through winter. When my alarm clock rang the next morning I snoozed three times, dragged myself out of bed and took my sweet azz time, I was still kind of bummed out about the deer I had missed the day before. I finally regrouped and kicked myself in the butt and made it to my blind at first light. It was around -20C that morning, no wind and the snow was dry and crisp, every step I took felt like the whole forest could hear me, there was no wind and it felt like sound could travel for miles. Apparently not, I made it to my blind and what I saw surprised me, about 8 deer standing about 100-150 yds in front of my blind. I start looking at them and notice that one of them is a smaller buck and the rest were does, until suddenly I catch a glimpse of a MASSIVE "doe". Gave it a good look and said to myself, Holy F&cking Sh*t that's a shooter. At that point I was directly behind my blind and they had no idea I was there. I rested my rifle on the frame of my pop-up blind, put the crosshairs right behind the shoulder of the buck and BANG. I couldn't see anything, the concussion of my .300 Win Mag had blew a giant hole on the roof of my blind (lesson learned) and snow was flying all over the place. Once everything settled down, I scoped the area and could see four legs straight up kicking snow for about a second right where the deer was standing, success! As I walked up to it, all I could see was the right side of the antlers with those two kickers/drop tines sticking straight out, I didn't even make it to the deer before I had my phone out and had my wife on the phone, I could barely speak straight, it had been a while since I had truly had a case of buck fever.

In the end, we kept a bull moose to fill our freezer, processed the second bull moose and distributed between three families, gave my mule deer to an other family and we wrapped up our season by donating my whitetail to the Hunt for Hunger program. This season will be hard to beat, lots of work, miles on our boots and countless hours enjoying the outdoor!
Old 11-30-2017, 12:10 PM

That looks like one heck of a season me Wife n kids moved to sask this spring An was my first year hunting here porqupine plains area hoping in the last part of season to finally connect on a nice buck congrats to u n the wife
Old 11-30-2017, 12:18 PM
Banned

Great pictures, thanks for posting them.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreys 21234 View Post
That looks like one heck of a season me Wife n kids moved to sask this spring An was my first year hunting here porqupine plains area hoping in the last part of season to finally connect on a nice buck congrats to u n the wife
I hear there's good Elk hunting around Porcupine Plains?! Starting on where to look to apply for Elk next season, it's pretty much the only draw I have a chance in now that I'm back to C pool for moose and mule...
Old 11-30-2017, 03:04 PM

Awesome season - thanks for sharing. Any one of those animals would be a good year for many people.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:29 PM

Great season. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:25 PM

Dream season!!! Nice work!,
Old 11-30-2017, 05:58 PM

Congratulations, that's a great season!!
Old 11-30-2017, 06:03 PM

A big congrats on a great season. Thanks for sharing pics and story.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:16 PM

Fabulous season. Thanks for sharing
Old 11-30-2017, 07:22 PM

Season to remember!

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:22 PM

Sounds like a awesome season! Thanks for the write up.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:33 PM

What a season!!! Congrats and thanks for posting.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:42 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Ahhhh Saskatchewan...miss her...congrats on the season.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-30-2017, 09:01 PM

Awesome season!
Old 11-30-2017, 09:09 PM

Great write-up & pics! Congrats on a great season!!
Old 12-01-2017, 06:18 AM

Yea seems like good number of elk o wasn’t able to hunt elk season thus year as I got resident status day after that season closed lol went out after moose in the bush for regular season found lots of sign but just not with them standing in em lol if u ever wanna er togeather for a some elk hunting let me k ow
Old 12-02-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreys 21234 View Post
Yea seems like good number of elk o wasn’t able to hunt elk season thus year as I got resident status day after that season closed lol went out after moose in the bush for regular season found lots of sign but just not with them standing in em lol if u ever wanna er togeather for a some elk hunting let me k ow
I might take you up on that offer. Elk hunting would be pretty awesome and it's always nice to have help when you shoot a 1000lbs animal lol
Old 12-03-2017, 06:57 PM

Oh that’s for sure we new to the area moved up from southern Alberta this spring
Old 12-03-2017, 07:12 PM

Whammy!
Old 12-03-2017, 07:46 PM

Congrats on a great season. Did you put the tape on your Whitetail yet?
Old 12-04-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEyes View Post
Congrats on a great season. Did you put the tape on your Whitetail yet?
I haven't, going to get an official score on my WT and Mule this weekend at the Wildlife Federation.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:51 PM

Great season! One you will never forget! Man I miss hunting in Saskatchewan as a resident, there is nothing like it.Donating the meat to others is also a great gesture & most Unselfish. Keep up the good hard work and thanks for the post.Cheers
Old 12-10-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskieboy View Post
Great season! One you will never forget! Man I miss hunting in Saskatchewan as a resident, there is nothing like it.Donating the meat to others is also a great gesture & most Unselfish. Keep up the good hard work and thanks for the post.Cheers
Saskatchewan is truly a hunting paradise. I grew up out east dreaming of hunting Saskatchewan, getting transferred here for work a few years ago made that dream come true!