Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-04-2017, 09:35 PM

Default Bobcats in Northern Alberta??

So in a recent conversation with a landowner friend of mine he broke the news that he had seen a Bobcat. Without trying to sound too negative I said what he most likely saw was a lynx. After all, we’re about 150 kms north of Edmonton. He was adamant though that what he saw was a bobcat. I didn’t press him. So how about it? Any one else know of any bobcat sightings in the northern part of the province or was it in fact a lynx he saw?
Old 12-04-2017, 09:48 PM

Lynx.......or a mangy coyote.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:50 PM
Banned

I have heard of bobcats south of Calgary talked to a lot of guys saying there's none this far north lots of lynx this year though!
Old 12-04-2017, 09:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
I have heard of bobcats south of Calgary talked to a lot of guys saying there's none this far north lots of lynx this year though!
I know of bobcats in Calgary for sure. Friend has lots of pictures of one laying on top of his hot tub cover.

Never heard of one that far north. Could be possible? Not sure...
Old 12-04-2017, 09:58 PM
Banned

It’s possible that a bobcat hitched a ride on a truck. This summer there was a case of a lynx in Edmonton that is believed to have hitched a ride. Raccoons periodically find their way to areas with no raccoons as well. Other than that, it had to have been a lynx......but you never know.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:05 PM

Likely Lynx, seen them around Whitecourt and tracks south of there.

LC
Old 12-04-2017, 10:44 PM

I saw a roadkill bobcat between penhold and pine lake about five years ago. I didn't trust my eyes so I went back and checked it out and it was a bobcat. That's a far cry from north of Edmonton but...
Old 12-04-2017, 11:44 PM

Seen a bobcat a week ago, just east of Rocky Mountain house. Was sitting in the middle of a gravel road, 150yrds away. Was watching him with my binoculars
Old 12-05-2017, 12:02 AM

A few years ago a acquaintance of mine took a pic of one by Virginia hills.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
It’s possible that a bobcat hitched a ride on a truck. This summer there was a case of a lynx in Edmonton that is believed to have hitched a ride. Raccoons periodically find their way to areas with no raccoons as well. Other than that, it had to have been a lynx......but you never know.
All kinds of lynx near Edmonton....that was just a dumb wanderer, not a smart hitch hiker.

The city of Edmonton employee that made that statement is a "save the earth type" that had never set foot of a side walk till he went on a college field trip.

Me and a few other members know him.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:37 AM
Banned

No Mike, a lynx down this way is highly unusual. Occasionally we may have a cougar or wolf siting but not lynx. That lynx in Edmonton back in July was so dehydrated that they captured it without even tranquilizing it. Definitely not normal. Here’s one of the articles:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...nton-1.4201437
Old 12-05-2017, 06:37 AM

Buddy of mine has a tanned bobcat fur, he found it smooched on the road near Grand Prairie
Old 12-05-2017, 08:26 AM

There was a bobcat in my neighborhood in Calgary last week
Old 12-05-2017, 09:15 AM

I live in the Cold Lake Area and have seen 5 bobcat in the last 25 years and have seen nearly 100 lynx in the same time....yes I know the difference.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splake0 View Post
I live in the Cold Lake Area and have seen 5 bobcat in the last 25 years and have seen nearly 100 lynx in the same time....yes I know the difference.
I am a trapper in the Cold Lake/Bonnyville area. There is 100 % no Bobcats in this area. Lots of Lynx. A kitten in the summer, early fall could easily be mistaken for a bobcat as they are a brownish color before they prime up and turn more silvery. I have caught many Lynx, and know pretty much every trapper in the area, never heard of a Bobcat this far North. I would say Calgary area is the max North they will be found....then it is Lynx country. My 2 cents.

Spruce
Old 12-05-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spruce View Post
I am a trapper in the Cold Lake/Bonnyville area. There is 100 % no Bobcats in this area. Lots of Lynx. A kitten in the summer, early fall could easily be mistaken for a bobcat as they are a brownish color before they prime up and turn more silvery. I have caught many Lynx, and know pretty much every trapper in the area, never heard of a Bobcat this far North. I would say Calgary area is the max North they will be found....then it is Lynx country. My 2 cents.

Spruce
I disagree with your statement 100%, I have seen 2 bobcats in 20 years I have been in Bonnyville, just because you did not trap one does not mean they are not here. And yes I can't tell the difference
Old 12-05-2017, 10:10 AM

Family is from Bonnyville. Grandfather was one of the first homesteaders in Holyoke east of Muriel lake. He mentioned both bobcats and lynx on his line.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:

Spruce
Your nuts. I know what I've seen. 3 of them have been on the bombing range, 1 on the primrose highway and 1 in wolf lake.
I know what I've seen. So don't give me any bull about being a trapper.

suppose your going to say there are no wild Elk here either??
Old 12-05-2017, 11:02 AM
Banned

Bobcat region.

Old 12-05-2017, 11:08 AM

Thanks for all the replys guys. I'm going to stick with my opinion that what he saw was a Lynx and not a Bobcat. That last post is pretty much what I had thought their range would be. It's good to hear from trappers as well given their experience.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:18 AM
Banned

Old 12-05-2017, 12:22 PM

If you type in "Raccoon range" you get the same kind of demographic showing that they shouldnt be here but funny how i posted a pic of one killed on the QUE2 not too long ago and alot of people can also attest to the raccon tracks along the NSR....

Last edited by 1899b; 12-05-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
If you type in "Raccoon range" you get the same kind of demographic showing that they shouldnt be here but funny how i posted a pic of one killed on the QUE2 not too long ago and alot of people can also attest to the raccon tracks along the NSR....
I've reviewed many of those "Range" maps.

I would not revere them as gospel.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 12-06-2017, 09:49 AM

The maps indicate most probable range for bobcat. However with climate change very possible a small pocket of bobcat could be present around Cold lake area. Animals will surprise you sometimes, I had a wolverine in my pasture by Wabamun lake couple years ago, should be in mountains and northern part of Alberta.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:

Spruce
This.....no bobs in northern or central Alberta. You guys are mistaking immature lynx for bobs.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
No Mike, a lynx down this way is highly unusual. Occasionally we may have a cougar or wolf siting but not lynx. That lynx in Edmonton back in July was so dehydrated that they captured it without even tranquilizing it. Definitely not normal. Here’s one of the articles:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...nton-1.4201437
Nope seen a lynx by Bruderheim off the NSR in 07 while working there.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:15 PM

I'm pretty sure that animals can't read those maps
And often times wander out of their "supposed territory."

If you haven't seen something it certainly doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I see lots of black squirrels in the bush but I "know" they don't exist outside of the urban centres. I suppose the bobcat that buddy found in Grand Prairie wasn't a bobcat, even though I've touched the fur myself.....it's not a bobcat. Some folks gotta open their minds a bit
Old 12-06-2017, 12:18 PM

Lynx or Bobcat?

Old 12-06-2017, 12:26 PM

how come the two guys that google bobcat range didn't want to use these two maps? is it because they extend further north? haha
Attached Images
File Type: gif Lynx_rufu.gif (4.8 KB, 65 views)
File Type: gif BobcatMap.gif (4.8 KB, 58 views)
Old 12-06-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stricks View Post
Lynx or Bobcat?

lynx....tough call I guess