Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-10-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
Oh! I see you guys don't want anyone applying in that zone, so tell people there are no big bulls there lol.
I could add more but basically what KBF and elkhunter1234 said.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:02 PM

Default elk

YAHA tinda had 2400 elk in the late 1990's. It now holds about 250.
The grizzly bears eat approximately 90% of the calf crop each year and the elk have moved east to get away from them. From SRD biologist.

I hunted 108 this fall, late season. Had a blast and found what the others have said. Do you want a great hunt experience or a big bull? My hunt was exactly what I wanted. Tough and with a good chance at a 6x6 in a good shooting situation. Not dictated by score in any way shape or form, just to impress myself.

My wife had a tag in late season around Suffield a couple years ago, same type of hunt and result. I usually hunt in the mountains and the prairie hunts are pretty neat by comparison, lots of visibility and the buggers can still vanish with no vegetation.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
Oh! I see you guys don't want anyone applying in that zone, so tell people there are no big bulls there lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowshot View Post
YAHA tinda had 2400 elk in the late 1990's. It now holds about 250.
The grizzly bears eat approximately 90% of the calf crop each year and the elk have moved east to get away from them. From SRD biologist.

I hunted 108 this fall, late season. Had a blast and found what the others have said. Do you want a great hunt experience or a big bull? My hunt was exactly what I wanted. Tough and with a good chance at a 6x6 in a good shooting situation. Not dictated by score in any way shape or form, just to impress myself.

My wife had a tag in late season around Suffield a couple years ago, same type of hunt and result. I usually hunt in the mountains and the prairie hunts are pretty neat by comparison, lots of visibility and the buggers can still vanish with no vegetation.
After hearing your story that’s truly what any hunt is about. You worked for it and you made your own luck with the effort. This area would of nothing else make for some great memories and stories for the grandkids. Congrats again on your success.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:44 PM

There are lots of draw zones with 300" Bulls. If score matters most then your best chance is a zone close enough you can scout many times before the season. If you don't have a lot of time then outside suffield is your best chance.