Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2017, 10:27 AM
Banned

Default might not want to plant canola next year

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-17373-3

turns out eating canola oil can make you dumber.

which explains some of you guys
Old 12-08-2017, 12:05 PM

Plant olives instead... got it.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:01 PM

Lets not forget that Canola Oil is high in both Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, high in Vitamin E, contains 0 cholesterol and of all the oils available in the supermarkets it contains the lowest amounts of both Trans and Saturated fats. That means it protects against heart attacks, lowers cholesterol, prevents diabetes and I seem to recall Omega 6 fatty acids being proven to improve Cognitive functions and help prevent Alzheimer's and Dementia. The study you linked says "While more studies are needed, our data do not justify the current trend aimed at replacing olive oil with canola oil."
Old 12-08-2017, 01:05 PM

Good. I hate it when the farmers who give me hunting permission plant canola. Crappy to walk or set up in. Much prefer wheat... or PEAS! I LOVE PEA FIELDS!
Old 12-08-2017, 01:11 PM

Just use Bear fat. Better for pastries, higher boiling point and good for your skin. Plus it saves fawns and calves.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:14 PM

Gotcha. Don't plant canola. Got any ideas on what I should plant that has a higher net return per acre?
Old 12-08-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiway mike View Post
Gotcha. Don't plant canola. Got any ideas on what I should plant that has a higher net return per acre?
Yup. Crop will be legalized for widespread distribution July 1.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:46 PM

If you don't like canola stubble you're going to love hemp stubble.

Upside is the deer like hemp stubble.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:56 PM

Well,

I have a novel idea that will see you set for life!!!!

LETS GROW BITCOINS!!!

I tried mining them, but every computer I put the dynamite to quit working???

Since I'm no good at mining, I thought I would try growing Bitcoins!

(Anyone know where I can get some seed and fertilizer???)

Drewski
Old 12-08-2017, 04:09 PM
Banned

Not that I'm a user, but if I were I wouldn't be ashamed these days. But how about planting cannabis? I'm certain Truedope would support. Just saying.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Farm Kid View Post
Lets not forget that Canola Oil is high in both Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, high in Vitamin E, contains 0 cholesterol and of all the oils available in the supermarkets it contains the lowest amounts of both Trans and Saturated fats. That means it protects against heart attacks, lowers cholesterol, prevents diabetes and I seem to recall Omega 6 fatty acids being proven to improve Cognitive functions and help prevent Alzheimer's and Dementia. The study you linked says "While more studies are needed, our data do not justify the current trend aimed at replacing olive oil with canola oil."
It's often advertised as being healthy, but there are many things to keep in mind. The western diet already contains WAY too much omega 6, of which canola oil is high in. The omega 3 in canola oil is ALA which is not nearly as beneficial to health as EPA and DHA. Furthermore, canola oil is often partially hydrogenated, resulting in advanced glycolysis end products which lead to premature aging.

If it wasn't so widely grown and didn't bring in so much money, it would not be advertised as healthy. I avoid canola oil like the plague.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpro View Post
It's often advertised as being healthy, but there are many things to keep in mind. The western diet already contains WAY too much omega 6, of which canola oil is high in. The omega 3 in canola oil is ALA which is not nearly as beneficial to health as EPA and DHA. Furthermore, canola oil is often partially hydrogenated, resulting in advanced glycolysis end products which lead to premature aging.

If it wasn't so widely grown and didn't bring in so much money, it would not be advertised as healthy. I avoid canola oil like the plague.
The flaw with that logic is that the majority of the science and data supporting the health benefits of canola is produced in the U.S. The States produce less than 1% of Canola exported in the world. I'm intrigued to hear what oil you prefer to use.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Farm Kid View Post
The flaw with that logic is that the majority of the science and data supporting the health benefits of canola is produced in the U.S. The States produce less than 1% of Canola exported in the world. I'm intrigued to hear what oil you prefer to use.
I prefer coconut oil. While there are a lot of organizations who attach coconut oil for it's saturated fat, new research is showing the saturated fat is not the villain it was once made out to be - the original study had data that showed almost no correlation between saturated fat and heart disease, however the authors chose 6 of the 28 countries studied to show a correlation and all the health organizations jumped on board. Furthermore, there is more and more research showing that medium chain saturated fats, such as those found in coconut oil, are a very healthy energy source.

I also use olive oil, and consume fat from salmon, meat, and chia seeds.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:24 PM
Banned

Way to go fishpro! You and I have similar fat preferences. I too agree that the whole push to change canolas' image to a healthier one is driven by financial interests. Pretty much all of canola planted these days is of a genetically modified variety, therefore it is accompanied by generous use of pesticides.
I'm very glad that my place is surrounded by a section of pasture...
Old 12-08-2017, 08:31 PM

After watching a couple Youtube videos of how Canola Oil is made I don't use it much anymore. Butter, Olive and Avocado Oil is what I use. Ghee is probably the healthiest but don't like the taste.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:46 PM

Default Canola oil

My diesel loves it. Grow more!!
Old 12-11-2017, 08:30 AM

Default Canola oil

Americans have been trying to blind side canola oil produced in Canada for years. They want to sell their toxic/unhealthy soybean oil. They would say we had to high uricic acid in our previous verities to protect their soy bean product. What a bunch of political crap, they do not like growth in Canada,s healthy canola oil product. Also makes excellent biodiesel.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
makes excellent biodiesel
Shelf life of (about) 30 days.
Longer storage & you should use the stuff to help prevent separation.
Causes other issues as well.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:52 AM

My bees love it. Please plant as many acres as possible.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:21 PM

Does nobody use lard anymore?
Old 12-11-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
I do. Way better than cooking oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
turns out eating canola oil can make you dumber.
So THAT'S what happened to me...........!
Old 12-11-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpro View Post

Me too! I much prefer Lard, Butter and Coconut Oil for cooking and Olive Oil and Avocado Oil on salads.

Canola or rape seed oil needs too much chemical treatment to get the oil out. Not a natural oil. Money seems to be more of a motive than the health of those who consume Canola Oil.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
After doing a bit of my own research, I am starting to use lard again.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Americans have been trying to blind side canola oil produced in Canada for years. They want to sell their toxic/unhealthy soybean oil. They would say we had to high uricic acid in our previous verities to protect their soy bean product. What a bunch of political crap, they do not like growth in Canada,s healthy canola oil product. Also makes excellent biodiesel.
C'mon, look at how healthy the average American is. Hardly any morbidly o bese people there at all. (I could hardly type that with a straight face)
Old 12-12-2017, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
After doing a bit of my own research, I am starting to use lard again.
Why did you decide that Covey ?
Old 12-12-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post
Why did you decide that Covey ?

Lard and many other natural animal fats have been demonized by those who produce highly processed seed oils. One of the foods pushed to replace lard in the hearts of consumers was Crisco Shortening. Crisco was not originally intended to be a food. The original plan by Proctor and Gamble was to make soap, but in its hardened form it could be stored forever.

It was easy to put lard in a bad light because after all it was pure fat and some thought that pure fat caused accumulation of fat on those that consumed it. Now many believe that body fat accumulates with an excessive carbohydrates and fats only contribute to body fat when carbohydrate consumption is in excess.

Lard has come back into fashion and has become the fat choice of many nutritionists because it is higher in heart healthy monounsaturated fat like the fat that makes olive oil heart healthy. In its natural form it has none of the trans fat that we now know are bad.

Lard is great for cooking and has a higher smoke rate than seed oils and does not produce toxins at most higher cooking temperatures.

One thing that I have noticed over my life is that pie crusts are not as flaky and do not taste as good as my mother and aunts used to make. I attribute this to pie crusts that are not made with lard..
Old 12-12-2017, 09:55 AM

happy honker
For the most part I choose foods that are more natural than highly processed.
Lard is the product of just animal fat and heat.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Soybeans are not something that can be eaten in their natural form. They need to be highly processed because eaten raw they are rejected by the body.
What the body rejects is often turned into puke or liquid poop.

Canola oil would be a better base for paint than food.

Many of the foods we eat are there because they are cheap to produce and the companies that produce them contribute to medical research and political agenda.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:12 AM

Lard, if ever a product needed rebranding.

Try selling that to millennials.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
Soybeans are not something that can be eaten in their natural form. They need to be highly processed because eaten raw they are rejected by the body.
What the body rejects is often turned into puke or liquid poop.

Canola oil would be a better base for paint than food.

Many of the foods we eat are there because they are cheap to produce and the companies that produce them contribute to medical research and political agenda.
Exactly. Canola is a terrible food oil. Ones own research is very telling about this junk.