Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-08-2013, 01:09 AM

Default Lund 14' SSV?

Hey all,
I am looking at getting a Lund 14' SSV with the side steering console.
The package without the motor would cost about $5200 (qouted by lund). I would then add a tohatsu 20hp.
Has anyone done something like this?
Does anyone have the 14' with the side steering console?

Lethal Prostaff Member
Canadian Waterfowl Prostaff Member
Sillosock Prostaff Member
Pure Gold Chokes Prostaff Member
Lynch Mob Calls Prostaff Member
Wolverine Guns and Tackle
Old 07-08-2013, 06:29 AM
Banned

Check the hull rating and purchase the maximum allowable engine. You will never be happy with a motor that is too small, so spend the money now.

Otherwise you are buying the best hull going, IMHO.

Free
Old 07-08-2013, 07:15 AM

Agreed ...

I have a Legend 15 Angler which is very similar. I have a 40hp on
the back and wouldnt get anything smaller. slow enough for trolling
but will take you up to 30mph with a single person.

spend the money on the bigger motor if you can pull it off.

see you on the water....
Old 07-08-2013, 07:20 AM

You may want to reconsider this setup. A 14' boat with a steering console will leave you wishing there was more room inside the boat after about the 2nd or 3rd time out. If you have somebody else in the boat, it will get tight for room when trying to move around tackle boxes, fishfinders and each other when landing a fish. At 14' you may want to go with the tiller motor, just for the extra room it will free up in the boat.

I think the console and steering wheel may be just that. No controls or steering and throttle cables. After you add all that in, it would be cheaper to go to a 16' tiller on a trailer for around the $5100 mark vs. $6-6500 for a 14' with steering.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 07-08-2013, 07:29 AM

I should have added that your ssv model choice is a good one. Excellent boat.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 07-08-2013, 07:44 AM

Default Best boat

Dodger on here has the best fishing boat ....14ft Alumacraft fisherman

25 merc elec.start....goes 25 mph...we put that thing in everywhere..I think tiller on a 14 '. Better

For fishing and trolling .....I had that Lund with a 50 merc on it

Before heavy 4stks .....that was a fishing machine. Is that ssv

The model with the floor.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:48 AM

hey trap i am converting my 16 foot alumacraft single console to a tiller and upgrading the motor.

get a hold of me through pm if you want to chat about buying my whole console set up and 40hp 4 stroke merc.

i took the merc. off last night and should have my new motor on tonight. the console should be out of the boat by tomorrow night at the latest.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:05 AM

I just sold a 14ft princecraft side console with 25hp merc, it was a great set up, comfortable +. could get 25mph out of it, easy to plane, put custom mounts to run down riggers, nice and deep. Luved the set up. I had a Lund tiller set up in an earlier year with 20hp with carpeted floor and live well. Princecraft SC was way more comfortable, luv the pedestal seats, plus lino floor, easy to clean. lots of storage compartments. My only wish was I would have maxed hp at 40hp. So good suggestions in getting max hp!!
Now I run a 18ft, totally different animal
Old 07-08-2013, 09:10 AM
Banned

I agree a 14ft with steering console will eat up all you room. The more space you can get for the money the better. I would go tiller in a 12-16ft boat, I'm not sold on console steering in general, it's either tiller or full windshield for me. At least with the full windshield you have the option of a storm top when the weather gets ugly. As far as a 20hp on a 14ft boat, I think that's a bit light. I had a 25hp on my lund wc-dlx and I would definatly not want to go any smaller. I know it's just a fishing boat, but it's a 14' fishing boat and when a thunder storm is rolling in, your gonna want a bit of speed getting to the dock.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:12 AM

Default Npauls your wild man

Hey congrats on your season .....man ...you beat some heavy hitters
Lol...

If I'm not redoing a boat I,m not happy .....just about time
For the warrior to go....I'm thinking Triton
Old 07-08-2013, 10:41 AM

Default Lund SSV 14

I'd have to agree with the space issue. I have a 14' SSV tiller with a 25 HP EPI 4 stroke. With a seat on the back deck I can handle the 25, the Minnkota, and downrigger without having to reach too far. This leaves room for two other fishers in the boat (3 in a pinch). I also agree with others on your power plant. My 25 will get up to 28 mph with two on board and the 14 SSV is rated for 35 HP. If you really want the 14 you can pick up a tiller from any Alberta dealer for about $3500. Leaves more money for a bigger motor and extra toys.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:19 AM

I would agree with most of the contributors. A 14' with a side console is going to tight for space and does cost extra money.

A 16' boat is always a better option if the pocket book allows it.

I would suggest, for similar money, a 16' SSV (20" transom model) with a 40 hp motor on a tiller.

This will be a much better fishing boat with more room to move around.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
You may want to reconsider this setup. A 14' boat with a steering console will leave you wishing there was more room inside the boat after about the 2nd or 3rd time out. If you have somebody else in the boat, it will get tight for room when trying to move around tackle boxes, fishfinders and each other when landing a fish. At 14' you may want to go with the tiller motor, just for the extra room it will free up in the boat.

I think the console and steering wheel may be just that. No controls or steering and throttle cables. After you add all that in, it would be cheaper to go to a 16' tiller on a trailer for around the $5100 mark vs. $6-6500 for a 14' with steering.
Agree.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:

Agreed. I was in a 2013 lund 1400 with the steering console this weekend at Cold Lake. It was powered by a Merc 25HP. It was kind of tight for 2 guys and all the tackle. I feel I would have been better off in my boat.

OP,

I have a similar set up. I have a 14" Naiden extra wide aluminum boat. This is comperable to the 14" SSV Lund. It is powered by a 2013 20HP Tohatsu. I've put over 20 hrs on this new motor now.

As others have suggested, go for the larger motor if you can afford it and the transom can support it. I used to run a 9.9 Hp on there and is was slow as molassis. With the Tohatsu I can keep a top speed of 39 KPH easy with 2 guys and gear in the boat.

If I was lookng for a steeing console boat I would go for a min of 16 feet.

Just my advice.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I would agree with most of the contributors. A 14' with a side console is going to tight for space and does cost extra money.

I would suggest, for similar money, a 16' SSV (20" transom model) with a 40 hp motor on a tiller.

X2, this would be a fishing machine, I had the SSV16 in a 15" transom with a 20, the 20 was a little light, but three of us could all stand and fish in this boat. When by myself that 20 pushed boat with lots of speed.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-08-2013, 03:07 PM

I am always in awe of the small boats with little HP going soooo fast even when loaded and with a couple of guys on board.

Incredible that 25 and 40 HP can go up to 30MPH. Does that mean that if I have an 80HP on my 16 I should be able to get at least 50MPH out of her?

Maybe the speeds are KPM not MPH.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
I am always in awe of the small boats with little HP going soooo fast even when loaded and with a couple of guys on board.

Incredible that 25 and 40 HP can go up to 30MPH. Does that mean that if I have an 80HP on my 16 I should be able to get at least 50MPH out of her?

Maybe the speeds are KPM not MPH.
It's all about power to weight ratios. My speeds were in KPH. I have a very light aluminum boat to start with. My passenger and cargo hardly weigh anything.

You can also modify and throw in other things like prop pitch etc.

You may want to look into how power to weight will impact velocity.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:05 PM

go with a 16 ft boat if you like the side console, I have lund rebel 1625 with a 40 hp Yamaha side console, it will go about 25 to 30 mph depending on who is with me in the boat,, it fishes excellent , great for trolling, jigging, easy to control on a couture.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
Hey congrats on your season .....man ...you beat some heavy hitters
Lol...

If I'm not redoing a boat I,m not happy .....just about time
For the warrior to go....I'm thinking Triton
Thanks Winch.

My new motor is on the boat and hooked up. I started it with the muffs on the hose to make sure everything was good and it fired right up.

The only things left to do before getting out on the water are to get a prop that isn't cracked and take out the console.

Back on subject.

A single console 16' fishes pretty nice but I have always had the urge to try a tiller. That is the whole reason I am doing the conversion. It helps that I found a real good deal on an 80hp yamaha with the big tiller handle also.

Hopefully you can get something set up soon trap so you can get out on the water and enjoy it a bunch before the season is over.

You should look into fishing the SAWT once you get the boat set up.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:03 PM

Default Ssv-14

Lots of good opinions here...Owned one of these with a 30hp 2stk for years, loved it. I would step up to a 16'er with a 40hp though if you can, better all around. Side console is nice but you still don't have the beam width for it to be "roomy". Tiller handles are petty nicely designed now, will give you more usable space, better boat control (if you fish walleye) and resale will be similar. Removable drop in floor is a must have also.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:27 AM

Default Lund ssv 14

I've been very happy with my SSV 14. Has a 25 merc 2 stroke. If I was to do it over would have gotten electric start and possibly a 4 stroke
Old 07-09-2013, 09:25 PM

LUND!! Say no more my 14' lund with a honda engine is a fishing machine. Had her on great slave lake in super choppy water that deep v hull is unbeatable.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:51 PM

Hey I just got a 14SSV Lund with a Honda 20 HP 4 stroke, had it out this weekend, very happy.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinwahkly View Post
Hey I just got a 14SSV Lund with a Honda 20 HP 4 stroke, had it out this weekend, very happy.
Great set up. You will love how quiet and bullet proof your Honda is and will be for years and years. You simply can't buy a better motor IMO. Congrats and enjoy.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:39 PM
Banned

My buddy has the same setup with a 25 and its a dog! It plows like a barge and just wont get up on plane. He should have maxed out his hp!! Instead he put one of those stupid whale tails on it and it now it runs as a high speed barge just on the verge of planing.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:03 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:

This with the bigger outboard.

Great advice.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-10-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanadaca View Post
got a fury 1400 for sale with 25 hp merc 4 stroke
There is a buy and sell section in this Forum but you need to be a member with more than x posts.

You are not permitted to advertise your boat on threads and solicit sales in threads - so the mods will likely remove this post - FYI
Old 08-10-2017, 03:30 PM

I got a 20 tohatsu on a wc 14 which is almost the size as the ssv just a different bottom. It rips along nice. I would not want a 25 on it as it would be to heavy in the rear for one guy and would need a bucket of rocks up front to make it useable. The 14 Wc delux with the floors and compartments add enough weight throughout the boat a 25 is doable and they sit level. Yamaha just came out with a fuel injected 25 that is only 10 lbs heavier than the average 20hp. The rest of the 25hp out there are actually 30hp and detuned down to 25 so they have a big block and are quite a bit heavier. The new Yamaha is a dedicated 25hp motor so smaller displacement and lighter than all the other 25's
Old 08-13-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

This would be a great set up and if I did it again I would of just got the 40hp. I have the 16ft ssv with the 20" trans and 30hp merc. It's been a great set up so far and gets up and going just fine with a good load up to 47kph but it always leaves me wondering how it would have been with the 40hp !

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 08-13-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHunterPro View Post
This would be a great set up and if I did it again I would of just got the 40hp. I have the 16ft ssv with the 20" trans and 30hp merc. It's been a great set up so far and gets up and going just fine with a good load up to 47kph but it always leaves me wondering how it would have been with the 40hp !
I got the 40 and it's good. I do find myself wondering what it would be like with 50hp though lol.