Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-08-2017, 11:36 PM

Default delete

While using a back pack I have a heck of a time keeping my sling from sliding off of my shoulder. I recently took the pad off of the left side of the pack but it's still a problem. I use a butler creek style sling that to me should not slide but it does. I sometimes lock it in using the top strap to go over my sling but that makes for slow removal. What does everyone else do? Been fighting this for years & am sick of it. Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!!
Old 10-09-2017, 12:20 AM

Use a Boonie Sling

LC
Old 10-09-2017, 01:16 AM

I use a kifaru gun bearer, works excellent , no hands required and easy, fast excess.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:30 AM

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...r#Post12289513

-Billy Molls
Old 10-09-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwhiskey View Post
I use a kifaru gun bearer, works excellent , no hands required and easy, fast excess.
X2. Carries your bow as well.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I’ve got a couple of them...just haven’t found it in me to put a hole thru my new Kifaru pack yet.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:59 AM

Default sling

http://slingsaver.net/

There are a few different brands of these around. Have not tried one but look effective.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:57 AM

Kirafu gun bearer works great. I have also made safari slings that work well. Check out unsling it I have made a few similar products and they work amazing if you like a front muzzle down hands free carry that allows shooting without detaching from your pack
Old 10-09-2017, 09:29 AM

I use a sling more as a shooting aid, that a carry aid, most of the modern slings are too wide, and hence slide of the shoulder and cant be wrapped around your arm, to assist with steady shooting,

I prefer a leather sling 1" wide and supple soft leather. as a general rule I carry my rifle in my hands all the time, but the supple narrow leather, will tuck in behind a backpack shoulder strap, much better than a wide padded one. Both my rifle's I used when culling game, have a black supple leather sling, 7/8"-1" wide, now both over 30 years old, once in a while I rub sum leather treatment on them.

Any thing you add, to keep rifle sling in place, will also impend, getting the rifle off, if you need it in a hurry.
I had a K2 hunter pack with a hook for a sling, pain in the ass, and every fricken vine and branch, would get hooked on it ,as well.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:54 AM

Take about a foot long piece of #9 wire and bend it into a belt keeper that looks like a flattened S(see below effort at a sketch). Make the three horizontal bars the width of your main pack straps (2-3"?). Bend the hook at the top left corner of the keeper so it sticks up about 3/8- 1/2" from your pack strap, it is the hook for holding your rifle sling on you shoulder. I made a couple of these, one for each shoulder, but I have not tried using them yet, so good luck if you try them.
Southernman may be right that they will snag on stuff but he may hunt in more jungle type bush than we have in Alberta.

/____________
!
____________!
! !
!___________!
Old 10-09-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
While using a back pack I have a heck of a time keeping my sling from sliding off of my shoulder. I recently took the pad off of the left side of the pack but it's still a problem. I use a butler creek style sling that to me should not slide but it does. I sometimes lock it in using the top strap to go over my sling but that makes for slow removal. What does everyone else do? Been fighting this for years & am sick of it. Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!!
Maybe I have sloped shoulders, but even without a backpack I had the exact same problem for years. I even sewed velcro on one hunting jacket shoulder to grip the sling(s) better, and a huge button on another jacket shoulder to 'catch' the sling and stop it from sliding off!

I finally changed directions and have gone with a Safari Sling for the past 5 years. It works for me - and as my reflexes slow with aging, it keeps my rifle more 'ready' for unexpected opportunities.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwn6Kfno7o
Old 10-09-2017, 03:19 PM

Default tape a nut

I've just taped a stack of rubber washers (lighter than a big steel nut) onto the shoulder strap of my pack at the appropriate spot. When I shoulder the sling for carrying it rides inside the taped washers/nut and doesn't slip off. Works ok.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
Went to an integrated pack and scabbard. Supremely comfortable and controllable. Best pack I ever had.
http://www.eberlestock.com/store/just-one-backpack

You could also slide your sling sideways over the top section of a transport-pack, but that is sloppy and will snag on anything within 3 feet of it.

Or just use an oversize fanny-pack and a slinged rifle. I did that for a few years, but you'll have to cache a true pack somewhere during the day, if you pack out your game. Makes for a lot of walking, if you're into that sort of thing.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
I finally changed directions and have gone with a Safari Sling for the past 5 years. It works for me - and as my reflexes slow with aging, it keeps my rifle more 'ready' for unexpected opportunities.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwn6Kfno7o
Did you pick up the sling in Alberta or order it on line?
Old 10-10-2017, 12:17 AM

I ordered it on-line..
Old 10-10-2017, 03:57 PM

I had the same problem and posted about here several months ago. Designed my own gun bearer that fit on my backpack. Based on the Kiafaru model several had suggested. Worked like a charm.
After the novelty wore off I just extended the sling I had and started carrying it across my chest, sort of a modified safari sling. The single leather sling slides nice and quiet over my jackets so I can rotate it into shooting position very quickly and quietly.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
I ordered it on-line..
When carrying rifle in front muzzle down position, does the sling rub or touch your scope at all?

Has anyone tried the safari tac multi purpose sling? Pros/cons?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2017, 08:01 AM

I have made similar slings to these and love using them. I have versions that attach via Velcro loops as per pic and ones that incorporate standard swivels. These slings can be used as a standard over the shoulder traditional sling, front chest carry ( barrel up or down) or as a back pack style. Front carry is my favorite as you can shoot without un-slinging. I have also made a few more simple safari type slings that work quite well also just not quite as versatile.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download.jpg (5.0 KB, 50 views)
Old 10-11-2017, 09:34 AM

Boonie safari sling, best rifle accessory...just ordered 3 online but had to ship to US address...suppliers I tried would not ship to Canada????
Old 10-12-2017, 07:48 AM

Tagged
Old 10-12-2017, 09:51 AM

I use a Blue Force Gear Vickers sling on my RobArms XCR-L to carry at a semi-ready/muzzle forward position,quick yank on the quick adjust tab to loosen and shoulder it.
It's more of a tactical rifle kinda thing,but I like it so much I'm gonna buy a few more for my more "traditional" hunting rifles.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
I use a Blue Force Gear Vickers sling on my RobArms XCR-L to carry at a semi-ready/muzzle forward position,quick yank on the quick adjust tab to loosen and shoulder it.
It's more of a tactical rifle kinda thing,but I like it so much I'm gonna buy a few more for my more "traditional" hunting rifles.
The BFG sling is a good one too. I have use them all on my semi's, works as a shooting aid with a quick tightening of the sling.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:28 AM

I tried ordering the safari sling from redi mag and they're online check out process asked me to call them for a shipping quote. Called the number provided and get a message that the number is not available for my area at this time. What's with that? They also haven't responded to my email I sent several days ago. Does anyone know another place I can order from?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk