Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-14-2017, 08:34 PM

Default Tikka Mods

Are Tikka rifles easy to mode and are aftermarket parts easily available? I know. I think too much!!!!
Old 10-14-2017, 08:48 PM

Buy a Remington, the Tikka doesn't need mods.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:16 PM

Am looking at a tikka right now. If I bought it I would like to shave a half a pound off of it. Is that realistic? Already has fluted barrel. If it's a dumb question so be it. Reason I can't look at a remington is because I want it in 300 wsm with a removable mag. Can't get that in a remington.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:20 PM

Buy a metal shroud, and drop it into a wildcat stock. You will lose your 1/2 pound.

I personally would look for a full length 300wm over the wsm in the tikka.

Last edited by double gun; 10-14-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
Buy a metal shroud, and drop it into a wildcat stock. You will lose your 1/2 pound.
X2. And turn the trigger down to 2 lbs and add talley rings and the scope of your choice. No other mods required.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:51 PM

Ya there are quite a few mods out there. But they shoot so good as is, you don't need many. Especially with the T3X. I've owned 2, and both shot around 1/2 moa with cheap ammo. 3 round groups.
But I did buy a titanium recoil lug for my 270wsm. But you can get chassis for them. MDT makes them.
A company in Montana named Mountain Tactical, all they do is make Accesories for Tikkas. They are tikka fanatics. They got custom picatinny rail. Bottom metal, stocks, and they are always building more Accesories. Same with Lumley's out of Australia. They make a bunch of custom stuff. That's where I got the recoil lug.
And that mountain tactical has really reasonable shipping rates.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:54 PM
Banned

Arrow

Ordered a handfull of 5 rounders.

These guys are great...

https://tikkaperformance.com/index.p...te=common/home
Old 10-14-2017, 10:55 PM

Default Tikka mods

They don't need much. Like already suggested get a metal bolt shroud.You can get a 5 shot magazine if you want.I have the 300WSM in Laminated stock & 10 years later it is as new & shoots better than I can. I am a shaky guy & I have mutiple targets with less than 3/8 "5 shot group with 180 gr factory Winchester Supreme & Federal 165 GR Barnes X Bullet. Never needed a follow up shot on an Elk/Moose yet! I often thought of upgrading my VXll 4-12x40 for a new long range scope but it shoots so well I don't want to change it.I almost got the .300 Win Mag but chose the short mag for the short action & less weight & have never regretted it once.Firts thing I did after my initial day at the range was change the recoil pad to a Limbsaver & get a lead sled. It will help with the sight in & be your best friend at the range( it kicks like a mule without both) when I am hunting I never notice the kick,I just watch them drop. Nothing moves much after they are hit,my last Moose tried to get up with a shoulder shot one side & both lungs hit,plus the exit out the other shoulder ,but it dropped back down.That was a 224 yard shot with the 165Gr XBullet?The .300WSM is a great choice for reloading or buying factory. I have seen some small towns cary the caliber at gas stations& hardware stores,all Walmart ,CT so it's easy to find.just not as available as the .300Win Mag.Lots of great reloading to be had though! Don't over think it,you will be happy if you choose to get one.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:14 PM

Problem is I had a Browning A Bolt Titanium 300 WSM & like a dumb you know what I sold it. It was 5.5 pounds. I don't need to go that low but I want to & that's it. Looked at Kimbers but from what I see & read I don't think I will go there. Looked seriously at a sako finnlight but it weighs same as the A bolt I have right now, (6.5 #s) so what do I gain? Would consider a finnlight if it was 6 or under. No idea why they use the word light. Would consider going custom but needing a removable mag holds me back. I know some don't like them but it is not an option for me. Currently Prophet River has a Tikka 300WSM SS with B&C stock & fluted barrel but it weighs 6.5 as well.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:51 AM

I have the Abolt Mountain rifle in .300WSM as well & absolutely love it! Such a joy to carry & shoot! I don't think I could part with it! I love the stock how it feels in your hands & it looks great. I can't believe they where not more popular? But I guess the $1600 scares away a lot of buyers.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
Currently Prophet River has a Tikka 300WSM SS with B&C stock & fluted barrel but it weighs 6.5 as well.
B&c stocks are roughly 31oz. My wildcat finished at 19oz and mine isn't a standard wildcat, I had some solids added for my custom tikka build - which it turned out I didn't need.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:38 AM

My tikka wighs 7 pounds scoped and shoots half inch at 100 yards. With a 3 pound trigger pull so i never thought of modding it. I suppose an american made rifle will have more aftermarket parts
Old 10-17-2017, 11:27 AM

Yes their shipping rates for TikkaShooters/Mountain Tactical are reasonable for larger orders. HOWEVER......

The arrived cost for a Tikka T3 single load follower from them jumps from $19.95 USD to around $42 CDN after customs, excise, $15 flat rate small item shipping. So the same conditions apply to other accessories.

As a result I purchased a stainless steel recoil lug from "Vertebrae" Norway and a Bolt assembly/disassembly tool from "Sterk" in Australia...... Both top quality items arrived at my door at a lower cost...

Also I purchased over 30 of the Tikka T3 Single Shot followers directly from the original inventor so that I and anyone in Canada no longer have to pay $42 per single item.