Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-12-2017, 03:17 PM

Default Sunday fishin Newell in high winds with kids, at what point is it to much?

I'm no stranger to rough water and have no concerns with my boat but I do have a few tag alongs to think about (friends kids 6-8). My Navionics app is showing sustained south winds of 25km/h and gusting up to 47km/h by the afternoon and it's always been very accurate, is this weather really going to whip things up out there as far as bobbing all over? Is there spots to get out of the wind coming in from the south? I'm leaning towards letting him know it's just not going to be comfortable for the kids. Any advice from someone that spends a lot of time out there would be extremely appreciated.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:26 PM

Newell can be a very dangerous lake. Huge waves.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-12-2017, 04:32 PM

25 gusting to 40+ would not be enjoyable. I haven't fished Newell but I understand it to be largely unprotected and know it gets rough in the wind. You would be better off picking a smaller/more protected lake to go to instead.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:59 PM

We were going to head there tomorrow as well, but upon reviewing the forecast, I think I am going to pass. Waves get big on that lake with even small amounts of wind and not much for protection, especially if you are wanting to walleye fish. I should have headed out there today on my own I guess....
Old 08-12-2017, 07:07 PM

On that lake, it'll be too rough for me.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:37 PM

The first two bay/ inlets directly north and to the east of the kinbrook boat launch are semi protected but the main lake with be quite frisky with that amount of wind.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:24 AM

I wouldn't go out in 40k winds on Newell.....and sure wouldn't be taking any young people out.
The waves get big and can come up fast.
A lot of lake gives you Zero protection.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:48 AM

We ended up here at 40mile without the kids and it's a good thing, winds are blowing along the lake instead of across it and their really picking up. Its a drift day with some bottom bouncers, to much of a struggle trolling into the wind. We will get some jigging in on the back end if it gets to be to much. Ahh the joys of Alberta wind lol. Also the lake is down quite a bit since I was last here, carefull when launching your boat only one side of the launch is usable.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:58 AM
Banned

25-40k winds and someone elses children tagging along? I wouldn't even have to question what I was going to do. I'd be on the phone to the neighbour letting him know the forecast conditions and that I would be taking their kids another time when conditions are more favorable.