Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-19-2010, 07:00 PM

Default Stung by a jack at wab

when to the sundance side of wabamun and was set up by 11am or so... stayed till dark.. the count was 8 whites(only one biggie) and one pike on the tip up... so i put this gorilla tough 60lbs on my big rod( was using it as my tip up) only the one small pike all day...was only in about 3 fow ( i think the pike could see the white rope i call line.... anyway waited till i couldent see down the hole... packed up the all the gear... then using my hands i was pulling in my tip up and Bang! must have been a huge pike hit the smelt and pulled about 4 ft of gorilla 60 threw my bare paw.....
it would have bled but it was burned closed....
remember kids... resist the urge to hand bomb pike riggins... even if its just a couple of feet..
Old 01-20-2010, 11:55 AM

ouch!!!
Old 01-20-2010, 12:23 PM

Been there done that. Sorry too hear dude. And obviously it got away... what hurts more
Old 01-20-2010, 12:31 PM

After the 10 second silent scream and a good 30 second son of a B@#%* dance im kinda glad he got away... even though its c&r and the whole bunker fuel thing, id have probly killed and ate it purely out of spite...
Old 01-20-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billycap View Post
when to the sundance side of wabamun and was set up by 11am or so... stayed till dark.. the count was 8 whites(only one biggie) and one pike on the tip up... so i put this gorilla tough 60lbs on my big rod( was using it as my tip up) only the one small pike all day...was only in about 3 fow ( i think the pike could see the white rope i call line.... anyway waited till i couldent see down the hole... packed up the all the gear... then using my hands i was pulling in my tip up and Bang! must have been a huge pike hit the smelt and pulled about 4 ft of gorilla 60 threw my bare paw.....
it would have bled but it was burned closed....
remember kids... resist the urge to hand bomb pike riggins... even if its just a couple of feet..
hmmm... are you the one fishing right off the end of the second rock pier... i always see tracks but never catch up with the person to see how the fishing is there... i used to fish for whites there years ago but usually go into the bays off to the right nowadays... how was the ice there..
Old 01-21-2010, 09:22 AM

If you are heading towards sundance (kapaskiwin turn off hwy16) there is a little pull out right at the train tracks right before you hit the plant.. walk down the train tracks and get down onto the ice right before the tressle.. Its a huge bay and its not very deep... if you walk out a km its only about 6-8 inches deeper than it is 100ft from shore.... ive never had much luck in the middle... the best spot i find is 100-150ft past where the little inflow/outflow comes under the tressle. ice is a good 15-18inches, no flood water but i dont know how you would drive on there....
Old 01-21-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billycap View Post
If you are heading towards sundance (kapaskiwin turn off hwy16) there is a little pull out right at the train tracks right before you hit the plant.. walk down the train tracks and get down onto the ice right before the tressle.. Its a huge bay and its not very deep... if you walk out a km its only about 6-8 inches deeper than it is 100ft from shore.... ive never had much luck in the middle... the best spot i find is 100-150ft past where the little inflow/outflow comes under the tressle. ice is a good 15-18inches, no flood water but i dont know how you would drive on there....
its actually pretty easy to drive onto that bay..ive fished that bay for years and always had good luck... what you have to do is keep on driving down that road...until you come to the plant you'll see a gate on your right hand side...drive past it into the next parking lot.. take a right then another right ...drive towards the gate in the parking lot and then you'll see a trail...follow the trail to where the outhouse is and you'll see another trail going onto the ice through the weed... MAKE SURE YOU HAVE 4x4!!! it gets pretty drifted up somtimes...and just skirt the weed bed until you come to the point and you can drive right into that bay..pretty easy... you'll see my tracks..