Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-20-2018, 12:42 PM

Default Comox Salmon

Was visiting family in comox and got out for a half day with Steve at Island Pursuit Sport Fishing. We had a blast and managed to hook onto 7 nice fish on a less than ideal day.
Would highly recommend Steve and his outfit if anyone is looking for a charter out of comox...top notch guide very clean boat and great with the kids.
Will see if I can get this picture thing figured out lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-08-20_12-34-36.jpg (38.8 KB, 308 views)
Old 08-20-2018, 05:10 PM

Nice haul how much is half a day deal worth, would be happy with one, passing through there in September, not sure the date yet.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:12 PM

Just checked website says $550.00 upto 4 people, fair price.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post
Just checked website says $550.00 upto 4 people, fair price.
We had 7 on (5 kids) for $650.
There were a lot of boats in the area we were fishing (probably close to 100) and just from looking around we were definitely on the high end of the success rate and just like any lake....the more fish WE pulled in the closer all the other boats got lol.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:33 PM

Were you fishing on the coleman hump?
Old 08-20-2018, 09:43 PM
Banned

That’s great to see!

5 kids? Wholly smokes, you don’t see that too often these days!!!
Old 08-21-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgavey View Post
Were you fishing on the coleman hump?
For most of it yes. It must be producing well right now as a lot of Campbell river guys were there too. The fish were deep that day though which Steve picked up on early making a lure and depth change and maybe why we were successful.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
That’s great to see!

5 kids? Wholly smokes, you don’t see that too often these days!!!
Yep lol....3 are mine 2 are the girlfriends.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg received_2135811659974469.jpg (18.0 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg received_1719868228123052.jpg (29.0 KB, 123 views)
Old 08-21-2018, 11:35 PM

nice fish
Old 08-21-2018, 11:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Yep lol....3 are mine 2 are the girlfriends.
And he is rocking it with a mooching reel!!!

Thats how you get it done!!

What a great little holiday. Now what happens if they get the Salmon bug and want to head north?
Old 08-22-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
And he is rocking it with a mooching reel!!!

Thats how you get it done!!

What a great little holiday. Now what happens if they get the Salmon bug and want to head north?
Lol....I'm not worried about the kids getting the bug yet....its my girlfriend that's gonna cost me
Her first time on the ocean and she's hooked (no pun intended). My uncle commercial fished out of Campbell river and port hardy for 30 years and my aunt who we were visiting has been involved with all forms of fishing/government for forever and currently works part time at the comox harbor as well as at a resort in Big Bay. I can see more trips in the near future. I'd like to take her north for sockeye and halibut.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:24 AM

I fished with Steve 3 years ago and would highly recommend him... everybody on the boat caught their limit of salmon in only a few hours with a couple fish pushing 30 lbs. Looking forward to going again next year!
Old 08-24-2018, 09:04 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Looks like a great time for sure, got family I. That area, might have to look this guy up on a visit.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-24-2018, 09:34 AM

The Campbell River and surrounding area is having another fabulous fishing year this year. I’m thinking it has to do with the baitfish returning in record numbers and sticking around all summer. Back in the 70’s through 80’s when Campbell River really pushed being “the salmon capital of the world” there was no end to the baitfish (herring) around the area. Consequently, the salmon stuck around and you could have great fishing for them 12 months a year; from feeder’s right through to spawner’s.

That all changed in the early 90’s when those baitfish essentially disappeared. You could blame it on any number of things from overfishing to fish farms but either way they were basically gone. Well, the last 5 years they have been back and the two times I fished CR this year it was amazing to see balls of bait that were like what I remember seeing as a kid. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that fishing the last several years in and around the CR area is getting back to to what I’d call a truly great fishery.

My first trip out in May we had several tides doing the Lighthouse drift where we were into over a dozen Springs. In July it was the same thing with the added bonus of having a couple 30+ Coho day’s. This past summer it was the best fishing I’ve seen in over 20 years around CR and at a time when the west coast (Gold River) has had another poor return after more than 5 years of having poor returns.

Here’s hoping they have another good return to the The Pool this summer!
Old 08-25-2018, 08:17 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default King coho

Was going to chim in but found this article, we use to chuck buzz bombs 4" blue and white or pink and white, caught lots out there.

Fishing off King Coho
by Comox Valley Guide | Aug 22, 2007 | Uncategorized | 0 comments
Its that time of year again where the fishing off of King Coho (at the end of Singing Sands Rd) is hot! Each night dozens of anglers are taking to the beach with trollers and moochers out in their boats just off shore.
Last night I counted more than 40 fisherman on the shore, and more than 2 dozen boats. Unlucky Coho, Pink, and Chinook were being pulled to the beach one after another. There was no end to the excitement.
I started off out in the kayak. Now I’ll admit, fishing from a kayak is a bit awkward, but enjoyable never the less. The first fish I reeled in was a rock cod, about 18 inches or so in length. A decent sized fish, but not what I was going for, so I let him go – actually, that was only part of the reason for release. First I was unsure of the legal size, but more importantly I was not about to put a fish with spikes on it, between my legs in a Kayak. No thank you.
An hour or so, and two dog fish later (I hate those things) , I headed in to fish from shore instead. I saw a number of salmon being brought in, but none were on my line. How frustrating. After a bit more effort I moved up the beach to visit with my wife and in laws. We sat around the fire and watched others continue to fish, with one man catching a young seagull. Fortunately the bird was only tangled in the line and not hooked, so they untangled the little guy and set him free.
Around dusk a fisherman decked out in waders had a nice fight and brought in a nice looking Coho, when I was forced to give it another try. After fishing for a while longer and getting my fair share of seaweed and bullheads, the woman next to me got a strong hit. As I turned to look, my line too went a zinging. The short fight brought in a small (just barely undersized) Chinook.
Thoughts of keeping him raced through my mind, but I knew better and let him swim free after a struggle with the hook. I may not have any fish in my freezer from last night, but at least I caught a nice looking fish, saw a bunch of other folks bring some in, and had a great night on the beach.
———-
If you plan on getting out to do a little fishing, they’re biting on pink and white lures just off of King Coho, with BuzzBombs doing very well.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-25-2018, 02:18 PM

Awesome, will have to look up this outfit for future trip