Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-12-2008, 10:51 PM

Default Trolling Motor Battery - Which one?

I bought a new trolling motor, a Minn Kota Maxxum 50lber and I would like some advice from you as to which would be my best option as far as selecting a strong cell.

It is a 12V, will this provide me with enough snot for a full day of fishing? I am running a 15ft Flatback Canoe with approx 400 -500 lbs weight.

Should a guy get two and run them in parallel to gain more run time?
Deep Cycle, gel?? Yes or No??

What is working for you? I appreciate the replies fellas, tight lines
Old 05-12-2008, 11:07 PM

I have always used deep cycle batteries because they are made to put out amps over a long period of time, unlike a car battery that has to put out a lot of cranking amps for short periods of time. I have no experience with gel batteries, but they are more expensive. I would just run the batteries separately, because it is best to drain deep cycle batteries as low as you can before recharging. Apparently, if you only discharge a new battery to half of its capacity a few times, it will develop a memory, and you won't get the full potential from it. Also, get yourself a deep cycle charger. I've had the best luck with the Energizer deep cycle batteries from Walmart - best bang for your buck!
If you run two of these in parallel, you could probably go all weekend if you are just trolling. I also check the water level in each cell before putting them on the charger, and add enough distilled water to cover the plates in each cell. This motor should have no problem pushing your canoe around.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:17 AM

Default I use

2 deep cells from Canadian Tire (one at a time) and one battery will do a whole day. I use the same combo for my 12 ft Jon Boat but often need to go to battery number two, when using the boat.

To charge them I plug them into the invertor on the RV over night for a full charge or sometimes use a 10 amp charger for a few hours.

No matter what others say I find they need all night to re charge.

Have fun!
T
Old 05-13-2008, 07:51 AM

Default Kirkland from Costco

I get the biggest deep cycle Kirkland batteries from Costco. I think they are 115 amp hours ??? The go for around $60. I use 2.

I have a flatback canoe as well and can go all day on one battery with my 55lb thrust minnekota.

I also have a 13 foot zodiac that I only use my electric motors on. I have only had to switch to the second battery once, but it is always better to have 2 of them just in case.

Me and my friends have been using these batteries for years without problem.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:00 AM

i have one of both types...the gel cell seems to put out a little longer even though they are the same ah. other nice thing is i dont have to worry about it cuz it is sealed and wont leak even upside down.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:30 AM

I bought the second biggest Kirkland deep cycle battery. I use it for a 30# electric on my canoe. I can use it for 2 days on a full charge.

See ya
Ace
Old 05-13-2008, 01:23 PM

I'll be looking into those Kirkland batteries. Briverb, are you sure about that price? Seems too good to be true.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:31 PM

Here is a very good site that discusses batteries.

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm
Old 05-14-2008, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briverb View Post
I get the biggest deep cycle Kirkland batteries from Costco. I think they are 115 amp hours ??? The go for around $60. I use 2.

I have a flatback canoe as well and can go all day on one battery with my 55lb thrust minnekota.
I purchased one today for 254 bucks from partsource. A marine deep cycle, small enough to fi in my minn kota battery box. Why does this seem so expensive???
Old 05-14-2008, 01:06 AM

Good thread, I've been doing some debating on what I should be doing as I think I killed my batt last year. I'ma big fan of costco may have to get into a batt from them. I noticed last I was there that they had them batt's that look like an extra large sixpack, whats with that?

200+ dollars for a battery is an insane amount.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:33 AM

Default batteries

Who cares about the money they look like a six pack!! LOL
Old 05-14-2008, 07:41 AM

I think my Kirkland from Costco was around $60 as well. Something's not right with that price.

Ace
Old 05-14-2008, 08:17 AM

Those 6 pack looking batteries are the Optima style. A very, very good battery and are gel so they won't spill even if the break plus they withstand the bumps of being in a boat better.

If you want to go to a good store for a battery and talk to someone who knows his stuff, go to battery World on 149 Street just south of Costco and talk to Howard. I buy my 6 volt deep cycle RV batteries there and find him to be decent on price as well as very knowledgable and friendly. Plus if you need a battery of any type, he will have it.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:56 AM

The "six pack" Optima batteries are originally designed for aircraft and can even be used upside down without spillage. I've looked at them, and I would only buy one if you were planning on packing a battery into the bush and anticipate a wild ride. Otherwise, you could buy a lot of Costco batteries and get more run time for the same price.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:03 AM
Banned

I'm a big fan of the Optima batteries.

I've got two that were bought in the early 90s, used VERY hard in boats, trolling motors, trucks, you name it, banged around everywhere, and they still work fine to this day.

Show me another battery that can even come close to that kind of performance and I'll buy it.

I think you get what you pay for with the Optimas. When the batteries that came with my boat are shot, I'm pretty darn sure they'll be replaced with Optimas.

Waxy
Old 05-14-2008, 12:38 PM

Default Kirkland batteries at Costco

I'm pretty sure they are around $60. I told all my buddies about them and they went and got the same ones last year. Next time I am at Costco, I will double check.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:52 PM

129.99 at crappy tire for a nautilus deep cycle....ive got 3 of them and there flawless!!
Old 05-19-2008, 06:44 PM

After a few purchases, and returns.... I found a nice battery from Interstate. 210 reserve minutes, 160 bucks. I originally purchased an Optima, but at 250 bucks all I got was 140 reserve minutes. So I returned that one.

I ran my 50lb MinnKota all weekend, and it was still going strong at the middle of today when I pulled my canoe from the lake, despite the battery level reading low/recharge.

So here is a twist to this situation. Camping far away from electricity has left me with either hauling a buncha batteries, short fishing trips... or a generator OR solar panel to recharge my cells. I just don't think that to "run" my motor, I need to rely on internal combuston to charge my cells.... Sooooo....

Does anyone run a solar panel on their RV? or to charge these big deep cycle cells??? Cambodian Tire sells a large panel for a hundred bucks......Use it or lose it? --- On another note If I hook up my 12V to my tent trailer without a generator, can I also add a solar panel to the system to keep the cell up to power by charging it during the day, when the least amount of electricity is being used?? Or do I have to isolate the cell, and sharge it seperatly from my trailer system... Any help guys would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 05-19-2008, 06:54 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
Camping far away from electricity has left me with either hauling a buncha batteries, short fishing trips... or a generator OR solar panel to recharge my cells. I just don't think that to "run" my motor, I need to rely on internal combuston to charge my cells.... Sooooo....
That is one reason that I bought my honda 2000 inverter generator.It only weighs 46lbs,is very quiet,burns very little fuel,and will charge batteries,and provide power for lights and other things while camping.It will also run the furnace and lights in my home in an emergency.

As for those Optima batteries that look like six packs,they are AGM batteries which are different from both typical lead acid batteries and gel batteries.

http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/faq.asp#11

Last edited by stubblejumper; 05-19-2008 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:27 PM

Question Info

Well thank god this site is here and someone has asked my question already.... Deep cycle from costco it will be.... my only question now is will a normal "motomaster" car battery charger work to charge the deep cycle battery??
Old 08-11-2013, 08:44 PM

Just need one that can give a 2a charge for a long deep charge. I'm sure yours will be fine. Almost all chargers have it
Old 08-11-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
I'm a big fan of the Optima batteries.

I've got two that were bought in the early 90s, used VERY hard in boats, trolling motors, trucks, you name it, banged around everywhere, and they still work fine to this day.

Show me another battery that can even come close to that kind of performance and I'll buy it.

I think you get what you pay for with the Optimas. When the batteries that came with my boat are shot, I'm pretty darn sure they'll be replaced with Optimas.

Waxy
X2 no question they are the best
Old 08-13-2013, 07:03 AM

I bought to Optima yellow top AGM batteries. And let me tell you. I couldn't be more dissapionted with them. They are not meant to be trolling motor batteries contrary to what the salesmen tell you. Once you drain them to low they are tough to get charged agian. And never did last as long as my interstate's do.

I no longer have them in my boat. They are junk.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:38 AM

I have use just any Deepcycle battery that is a R28 or bigger R32 and has 180 min too 210 res .. I take 2 per day but I am pushing a 14ft alum and my motor is a 55 mini kota with a maximizer variable speed .. I have been using Deepcycle batteries for over 30yrs on Maligne Lake and get about 7 to 10 yrs from them if I charge every 3 months . also have used Cat Deepcycle battries at 410 minute res .. I use a 2amp trickle charger and have a hand held mini kota battery meter too check charge .. I try to get minimum 12.8 to 13 per charge reading after taking off charging for 2 hrs

you can run a battery out very quick if you are wide open(100%) it last a hour R28

also I use one battery at a time

hope this helps

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
I bought a new trolling motor, a Minn Kota Maxxum 50lber and I would like some advice from you as to which would be my best option as far as selecting a strong cell.

It is a 12V, will this provide me with enough snot for a full day of fishing? I am running a 15ft Flatback Canoe with approx 400 -500 lbs weight.

Should a guy get two and run them in parallel to gain more run time?
Deep Cycle, gel?? Yes or No??

What is working for you? I appreciate the replies fellas, tight lines
Old 08-13-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperV7 View Post
I bought to Optima yellow top AGM batteries. And let me tell you. I couldn't be more dissapionted with them. They are not meant to be trolling motor batteries contrary to what the salesmen tell you. Once you drain them to low they are tough to get charged agian. And never did last as long as my interstate's do.

I no longer have them in my boat. They are junk.
should be using the blue top, evidently the salesman not up on the product he is selling.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:18 PM

Batteries are fussy. They can have all the capacity you want but unless charged properly they wont perform as expected.

Buy two batteries. Lave one behind to charge during the day. Not because you think one wont last. Since your getting two. Size them for transport.

Get a proper 3 stage charger. I sell a real nice one rated at 5 amps another at ten amps for 55 and 65 bucks respectably. They are meant for solar systems.

Always deep cycle batteries as that is their purpose. To be run down.

Cheers
Old 08-14-2013, 09:34 AM

Default charging

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
After a few purchases, and returns.... I found a nice battery from Interstate. 210 reserve minutes, 160 bucks. I originally purchased an Optima, but at 250 bucks all I got was 140 reserve minutes. So I returned that one.

I ran my 50lb MinnKota all weekend, and it was still going strong at the middle of today when I pulled my canoe from the lake, despite the battery level reading low/recharge.

So here is a twist to this situation. Camping far away from electricity has left me with either hauling a buncha batteries, short fishing trips... or a generator OR solar panel to recharge my cells. I just don't think that to "run" my motor, I need to rely on internal combuston to charge my cells.... Sooooo....

Does anyone run a solar panel on their RV? or to charge these big deep cycle cells??? Cambodian Tire sells a large panel for a hundred bucks......Use it or lose it? --- On another note If I hook up my 12V to my tent trailer without a generator, can I also add a solar panel to the system to keep the cell up to power by charging it during the day, when the least amount of electricity is being used?? Or do I have to isolate the cell, and sharge it seperatly from my trailer system... Any help guys would be greatly appreciated!!
Fisherman Guy:

I have a good solar panel on my RV for the 2 x deep cycle 6 volt batteries while "Dry Camping". System works great. I had a DC plug installed so I could use my apnea machine when dry camping. I use a DC/AC converter so I can charge AA batts for my portable GPS and phones if necessary. I can run a charger supplying more amps (10) but not good for the batteries.

With that being said, the charging system in my Lund or portable chargers need to charge around 2amps as recomended by the battery manufacturers. It takes hours to charge the 2 x 12 volt deep cycle batts in the boat as per mfg's recomendations. It will be difficult to charge a deep cycle battery(s) from solar on your RV unless plugged in for an unrealistic amount of time when you would probably be on the water during daylight hours. Small quiet(!) generator or second battery(s) to charge while on the water is an option. It's what I use.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:03 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Fishinab, great information. Thank you for posting!
Old 02-16-2017, 11:06 AM

Reviving a thread from a few years ago... Given new technology and products, what's everyone using these days? I've read on other forums that the Walmart (EverMax) are ok but won't last more than 2-3 years... I've also read the new ones at Costco are pretty decent and can offer 5-6 years of use with a nice warranty. Any further thoughts from the crew here?
Old 02-16-2017, 12:58 PM

I have gone to Interstate deep cycle 6 volt and in my many years of using deep cycle batteries in boats and trailers the key is to keep them properly maintianed and well looked after especially during the off season.