Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-26-2016, 01:34 PM

Default Peppers lake thread

Sounds like there's ice on peppers so let's start a thread! I'm heading out there next weekend so I'll post my pics. Anybody been there yet? Post some pics and ice reports!
Old 11-26-2016, 07:16 PM

I haven't been out to peppers in a few years but it's on my list this year. Looking forward to hearing how the ice is.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:33 AM

Peppers is on fire right now I heard !!!!
Old 12-01-2016, 11:27 AM

Peppers is taking a s**t kicking from what i have seen
#1 win the lottery (so I could fish everyday)
#2 & 3 still thinking.....
Old 12-01-2016, 11:35 AM

Another lake that'll be fished out thanks to the internet.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 12-01-2016, 11:59 AM

"The internet doesn't direct pressure, and ultimately affect fishing quality of our already over utilized stocked lakes that will forever be underfunded"

Paraphrasing from a recent discussion on this forum.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:45 PM

Peppers is NOT dead repeat. NOT DEAD !!!!!! Lol
Old 12-01-2016, 02:59 PM

Private Access?? Since when is Peppers Lake "Private Access?" Peppers is far from a secret. It gets pounded every year both winter and summer. There's a Provincial Campground on the lake! There are much better Brookie lakes around in my opinion. If you want to go catch underfed, skinny 10 inch fish all day long, have at er. Furthermore, the Alberta Gov't posts the stocking reports online each year that outlines which lakes have been stocked, species, size, etc. This info is readily available to anyone with a computer that can read. Better lakes like Peppers full of triploid test tube trout get decimated than our wild/native fish stocks. If it's quality fish that ones after, the lakes that require a little bit of effort getting to (i.e. You can't drive right to the boat ramp) still produce quality fish. Those are the ones nobody talks about. Too many anglers, too little water, **** poor fisheries management. Whatcha gonna do?
Old 12-01-2016, 03:24 PM

110% Wazzy well sumerized facts could not say it better. as an old guy this has been an issue since the early 70's So we smile and wave and just cast on
Red Neck Out
Old 12-01-2016, 03:44 PM

Was out two years ago on first ice. Caught lots - but all small. I think the biggest fish was 10 inches.

Saw one bigger one in two days of fishing but couldn't get a bite.

I for one won't be back. It used to fish better, but is very popular now.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:51 PM

The main reason Peppers is so popular right now is there's decent ice, while most other lakes just aren't safe yet. As well the general season for a number of lakes around here is closed and trout season is open, people just want to get out ice fishin. I've never been there, considering going for a drive to check it out, too.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:03 PM

Geez, ya. Shoulda known...Sarcasm is so easily detectable through text. That, and there's zero punctuation indicating your comment was intended as sarcastic. Either way, I guess we agree then??
Old 12-01-2016, 05:32 PM
Banned

Never will replace Muskiki! Dumbest thing fisheries ever did was to convert to Cutthroat.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:47 PM

Cant blame the anglers or the internet, its the possession limit that is the problem. Poor fisheries management...what a shocker!
#1 win the lottery (so I could fish everyday)
#2 & 3 still thinking.....
Old 12-01-2016, 05:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer99 View Post
Cant blame the anglers or the internet, its the possession limit that is the problem. Poor fisheries management...what a shocker!
Snagging is rampant so it's anglers and lack of enforcement. Gap Lake gets the same treatment.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Not sure where you wanted punctuation? Did you want double quotes around "private access"? I thought it was obvious from the context ?

Not sure either what we're agreeing on either... That it's in the fish stocking program and a public lake? Sure, I know where it is, it's in the regs and it was a sarcastic comment, so we're in agreement on that.

If it's about the rest of what you said? Dunno, don't have an opinion on that as I don't fish it, it's just that little bit too far for catching a few stockers, when there's better lakes nearby.

It's only getting fished now because it's frozen early and there's little else around, 6-8 weeks from now, people won't be heading there as much. But it's everybody's resource not a "private lake".
What's your point? Your just repeating what others have already touched on. I don't care whether we agree or not, or what is or isn't the issue. Your obviously taking exception to my failure to recognize your "sarcasm." Get over it. My point (s) was/were...and as you have also said....A) There are much better lakes B) Peppers is NOT a secret and shouldn't be treated as such C) If guys want to go and take their limit of 10" trout all the power to them D) Better Peppers and similar stocked lakes that putting increased pressure on our wild/native fish stocks. Understand? I'm done here.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:56 AM

And another thread succumbs to an AO legend.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2016, 08:23 AM

The last five fish I tried to eat out Peppers were so incredibly muddy that the cat wouldn't even touch them. Why folks haul so many bad tasting fish out of there is beyond me. I guess the reason is that they can.

J
Old 12-02-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokey75 View Post
The last five fish I tried to eat out Peppers were so incredibly muddy that the cat wouldn't even touch them. Why folks haul so many bad tasting fish out of there is beyond me. I guess the reason is that they can.

J
I have to agree very poor tasting ate one last summer will catch and release from now on but is a great place to go
Old 12-02-2016, 12:36 PM

Some of you guys need to look on the bright side. At least the lake isn't full of stunted perch.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan S View Post
Snagging is rampant so it's anglers and lack of enforcement. Gap Lake gets the same treatment.
Gap is an entirely different story. Closed over the time the brooks are most vulnerable. You dont have the majority of the anglers going there to bonk 5/day because the limit is 2/day.

Oh yeah the fish at peppers are awesome. If we keep bonking all of them, maybe one day we'll get one over 12".
Old 12-02-2016, 05:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
Gap is an entirely different story. Closed over the time the brooks are most vulnerable. You dont have the majority of the anglers going there to bonk 5/day because the limit is 2/day.

Oh yeah the fish at peppers are awesome. If we keep bonking all of them, maybe one day we'll get one over 12".
An entirely different story - and the results are the same. Fish are shallow early and many are snagged. It's only salvation is it's harder to get to. Anyone who doesn't think snagging is "rampant" spend some time there and look at a few fish. The one good thing now is you can be charged with possession of a foul hooked fish you do not have to be caught actually snagging them. Something for guys who fish whitefish to keep in mind.

Peppers is put and take by design to keep the masses occupied.

Last edited by Ivan S; 12-02-2016 at 05:20 PM. Reason: additional comment
Old 12-02-2016, 07:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Please can you clarify where you got that information from?

I ask because of this:

Source: http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=61107

If something has changed here, then we need to know with the source. Thanks.
I think the confusion lies in weather or not the fish was snagged or foul hooked which would depend on circumstances. According to your information F&W said there "should" not be a problem, but they did not say you would not be charged for possession of marked fish. If you were checked leaving from or ice fishing Peppers Lake and likely more than one of your fish had hook marks consistent with snagging I think you would be charged. I confused the issue because you could be charged with possessing a snagged fish [hook marked] when in fact you foul [unintentional] hooked it. If you got a ticket it may take a judge to decide and that's expensive unless you argue yourself. My apologies.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcherAPA View Post
Sounds like there's ice on peppers so let's start a thread! I'm heading out there next weekend so I'll post my pics. Anybody been there yet? Post some pics and ice reports!
Looking forward to the pics. Hope none of them have snag marks in them.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying that. I noticed that too, "should" isn't a very solid answer from them.

So at peppers, were they using snagging techniques or just foul hooking? I.E. I know they have hooks designed for snagging, large hooks and weighted hooks (typically undressed). Where they using those?

"foul hooking" is another thing they should really define properly in the regs because of the confusion with snagging. Because it gives rise to issues like if you cast a hook with a weight and power bait on, and the powerbait comes off, is that now a snagging device? Very open to interpretation. Particularly when other jurisdictions don't allow foul hooking too.
The fish are in two feet of water or less trying to spawn, not actively feeding, concentrated, and very visible. Any hook actively jigged on or close to bottom may be investigated and a quick jerk is all it takes. Wetaskwins with the four hooks are popular....similar to "clunking" for whites. If you are patient you can usually get them to bite "legitimately".