Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-03-2016, 08:34 PM

Default B-Wabbit & Z-Z ‘s - Peppers Lake - Trout Adventure

Decided to start our own thread, the other one was full ...

This was our first ever trip to Peppers, what a scenic drive, seen two really nice Whitetail Bucks & couple Does, coyotes, and something different a bunch of wild Horses on our drive in. It was a Bty day, sunny & warm the action was continuous, everyone out was having fun, especially the families with young kids, nice to see. All our fish were between 10-12" they loved meal-worms & cooked baby garlic shrimp on 1/32 oz jig's & all got released. We had one really big one teasing B-Wabbit but it just wouldn't commit. Ice was 10-11" closer to shore in 6 fow and perhaps 9-10" in 20 fow. No one was driving around the lake. It was great to meet another A/O member and share some stories ... great day. Not sure if B-Wabbitt took any pic's he was trying to out fish me again and may have forgot ???

Some pics to share ....

Z-z

Isn't Alberta beautiful ..... trust you enjoyed the pics.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:15 PM

Thanks Zip,
Looks like a great trip!
Old 12-04-2016, 07:39 AM

Nice job gentlemen. Doesn't look like there are any black spots on these so that is good. Nice scenery!
Old 12-04-2016, 07:56 AM

Awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-04-2016, 09:20 AM

I've never been there before, looks like a pretty place to fish. Quite a few tents out on the ice!
Old 12-04-2016, 09:27 AM

No pics from me as I was chasing Zip all day. We left the ice w/me down by one.

We stopped at Birch for an ice check on the way home and BOOM!

Tie Ball Game!

As usual great trip, great scenery and great company?

Cheers,

Scott.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:29 AM

Man I remeber when this was a hidden gem! Iguess it is stocked for all to fish. Thanks for sharing the pictures brings back a lifetime of memories.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:29 PM

For those who are thinkin of making a trip to Peppers & don't live in the immediate area it's a bit of a drive, took us 2 hrs plus from Sylvan. The last 3-4 Km's off the main road is not maintained, it was a single narrow track with some steep drops and difficult to get around someone coming the other direction. That last hill coming up to the parking area just before the lake was a bit slippery, you could see guys were spinning tires trying to get traction, if you don't have 4X4 it could be a bit of a challenge. As well, there was NO cell service, so if you got in trouble you could be camping out for a while.

I'm happy B-Wabbit did the driving, not sure if would be going back anytime soon, however, for a prairie boy from MB .... I really enjoyed the scenery! It was spectacular, never seen wild horses before, the fishing was a bonus, too bad they weren't bigger. B-Wabbit always out fish's me, this time the pan fried baby shrimp with a touch of garlic receipt was the deciding factor.

One more lake off my bucket list, pleased you enjoyed the pic's ....

Snap
... No pepper spots on any of them, we got set-up not far from your buddy H/T, surprised you weren't out, guess we'll see you on Gull or Buffalo.

Old 12-04-2016, 02:24 PM

Thanks for sharing your trip. Alberta is beautiful !!

Dodger.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:56 PM

Excellent pic thread! Thanks for the share

Old 12-04-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post

Snap
... No pepper spots on any of them, we got set-up not far from your buddy H/T, surprised you weren't out, guess we'll see you on Gull or Buffalo.

Naw. Last weekend to get stuff done. Fixed up the lama barn, bought and loaded a lot of hay, fed the lamas, shot the last squirrels, fed the cats...(guess - squirrels ), fed the birds, and went to a turkey dinner. Today is better inside. Man but it is brutal out there!
Old 12-04-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Naw. Last weekend to get stuff done. Fixed up the lama barn, bought and loaded a lot of hay, fed the lamas, shot the last squirrels, fed the cats...(guess - squirrels ), fed the birds, and went to a turkey dinner. Today is better inside. Man but it is brutal out there!
Snap ... I imagine you would of stopped as well to have a closer look at that wild Stallion, he sure was magnificent with the white heart/patch. So you raise Lama's as pets, well at least they'll be warm with what's coming down from Siberia.

Will update the Sylvan thread with a few pics, if we get some ice I'll take the auger and punch a few holes out by Norglenwold.

Old 12-04-2016, 05:27 PM
Banned

Times change. I remember when you walked in from the trunk road and it was called "Hidden Lake". Oh....and the wild horses, rattle a bucket with oats and they'll run over you.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:02 PM

Awesome post thanks for sharing
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 12-04-2016, 07:46 PM

Awesome thread and pics and story are great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2016, 02:14 PM

Default B-Wabitt & z-z's peppers lake trout adventure

B - Wabbit how far is it to Peppers Lake from Birch Lake another hr or so ? I live in Calgary so Peppers seems like a pretty long drive.

Thx Gillfisher
Old 12-05-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillfisher View Post
B - Wabbit how far is it to Peppers Lake from Birch Lake another hr or so ? I live in Calgary so Peppers seems like a pretty long drive.

Thx Gillfisher
Approx 1hr give or take depending on road conditions.

Cheers,

Scott.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:11 AM

I was out on saturday for the second time this year. If you can go, go during the week. It was a zoo on saturday tent to tent, people come fish 10 yards from you or less very busy place.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:29 AM
Banned

Nice trip guys. I thought you were talking about peppers lake just west of Hinton, but that does not look like the same lake.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Nice trip guys. I thought you were talking about peppers lake just west of Hinton, but that does not look like the same lake.
Ninja ..... this Peppers is 1.5 hrs west of Rocky Mtn House on #752 W and Forestry Trunk Rd 40 N.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:07 PM

Default Peppers

I thought that there were only brook trout in Peppers - when did this change? Thx.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingfan View Post
I thought that there were only brook trout in Peppers - when did this change? Thx.
The stocking report says only Brook Trout. From what I understand the males belly becomes very red or orange when the fish are going through the spawning cycle or perhaps they know it's almost Christmas & change up a bit, they sure are colorful.

The males in Birch have the same winter color's, too. But these have the Black Spot disease while the one's in Peppers didn't seem to show any signs of Black Spot

See ....

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 12-06-2016 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingfan View Post
The lighter colored fish is a female brookie...very light and close to a bow but you can see the halos and the white tips on the fins that identify it as a brookie.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrout View Post
The lighter colored fish is a female brookie...very light and close to a bow but you can see the halos and the white tips on the fins that identify it as a brookie.
Excellent point ... the camera angle made that female in the first pic look a bit like a Rainbow, we caught a number of fish I believe there were only 2 males, the majority were identical or very similar colors to the first one.

Tks for the clarification.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Excellent point ... the camera angle made that female in the first pic look a bit like a Rainbow, we caught a number of fish I believe there were only 2 males, the majority were identical or very similar colors to the first one.

Tks for the clarification.

We caught a bunch like that as well. The males all had the great coloring...was looking for much bigger though