Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-24-2007, 09:21 PM

Exclamation Stay out of the water @ Pigeon Lake

Algae bloom hits Pigeon Lake
Stay out of the water, and keep your animals away, too
Jeff Holubitsky, edmontonjournal.com
Published: 4:41 pm August 24 07

EDMONTON - Swimmers, water skiers and waders are being advised to stay out of the water at Pigeon Lake this weekend because of potentially dangerous blooms of blue-green algae.

"The tests that they could do in a short period of time shows that it is the type of blue-green algae that could produce toxins," Dr. Marcia Johnson, Capital Health's deputy medical officer of health, said today.

"Our precautions are: be respectful of intense algae blooms; don't swim or wade in the water containing the algae; don't drink the water when it is contaminated by algae; and provide an alternate source of water for your pets and livestock."

The algal blooms, common to most lakes in the region, are being monitored by Alberta Environment and were first noticed on Pigeon Lake over the last week.

Johnson said there are several strains of the algae and more tests would be needed to confirm if it is indeed the dangerous type. As a precaution, officials from both Capital Health, which is responsible for the north part of the lake, and David Thompson health region, responsible for the south, including Ma-Me-O Beach, have been posting notices warning people to stay out of the water because of the potential hazards.

The blue-green algae is responsible for the death of dozens of cattle and bison in Saskatchewan this summer, but that is because the animals, unlike humans, can drink the foul, slimy water without vomiting.

"There has never been a death of people related to blue-green algae that we're aware of," Johnson said. "It's very unlikely people would drink this not-good-tasting, smelly water."

The toxins can also be absorbed through the skin during long exposure.

Blue-green algae produces a number of different toxins in two different groups: one can affect the brain and nervous system causing death by paralysis; the other can cause serious liver and kidney damage.

"If you are a swimmer and have it on your skin, you might have skin irritation or a rash, sore throat, sore eyes, swollen lips or hay-fever-like symptoms," she said. Ingesting small amounts of the water can cause nausea, cramps, or diarrhea.

"Children may be more at risk because they tend to spend more time in the water," Johnson said.

Dan Richen, manager of David Thompson's health inspectors, said water skiers should be aware that large blooms of algae have also occurred in the middle of the lake, far from beaches.

"If people have contact with the algae, they should shower with soap and remove any of the film or residue that may be left on their skin," he said.

jholubitsky@thejournal.canwest.com

© Edmonton Journal 2007

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 08-25-2007, 03:56 PM
Doc Holiday

I dont feel good........
Old 08-25-2007, 05:39 PM

I don't think anybody got the itch... before the weekend you were there Doc.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:42 PM
Doc Holiday

Trust me Bear.... when OL' Cap'n Morgan and I parted the waters at Pigeon, we'd ....... ummmm........ ummmmmm stay the heck away from it! ( Funny to see some folks waterskiing in it though....).....BTW...leaves one heck of a stain on yer boat.... About the itch thing bud.... yer X-girlfriend says the tests are positive...... hmmmmm...... Wetaskwin water???

Last edited by Doc Holiday; 08-25-2007 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:52 PM

Well we headed out to fill the wifes tags and maybe mine tonight. I was shocked to see how gross the water was. I took a few pics. I left my camera in the truck. I will have to go grab it. You couldn't pay me to go in the water tonight.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 08-26-2007, 12:56 AM

Here are a couple of pics of the water tonight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8250005-640.jpg (41.9 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg P8250006-640.jpg (43.8 KB, 100 views)

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 08-29-2007, 12:38 PM

Default Pigeon Lake Water

Was wondering if the water has cleared up any yet? I was thinking of filling my last walleye tag, but this water thing has got me wondering if I should waste my time and a fishes life? Are the fish safe for eating out of the water right now (Sept 3rd is here fast), they live in it, and it is advised for humans to stay out of it. Was wondering your thoughts.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:54 PM

It's only scummy around shore I found, once you get out in the water it's fine.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:00 PM

Lots of floaties out deeper but at least you can see into the water.
The walleye we brought home the other night seemed fine. Other than they should have been 4 pounds heavier lol...

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for: