Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-18-2007, 01:21 PM
7mm12g22lr

Default frank lake

Did anybody fished on Frank Lake ?

Regulations are permissive so .... for some reason I think it is not a good place to fish.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:23 PM
jrs

If your thinking the Frank lake i am in Littlebow Country its simply a glorified wetland and i can not see angling being a great idea as theres no sport fish. If you mean the widened section of the Crowsnest River its worth the walk . Unless theres other Frank Lakes in Alberta?
Old 04-18-2007, 04:44 PM
7mm12g22lr

Frank Lake that is south of Calgary.
Since it was not mentioned in PP1 regulations I thought it falls under provincial regulations.
And I haven't seen the lake but from the map ...it seemed bizzare that they would have so limits on fish.
So it must be a swamp or something ?...
Old 04-18-2007, 05:39 PM
Timbulb

I've never understood why they show a lake on the map either. But having driven by it many times, I'm pretty sure there's no fish, since there's barely a marsh there.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:50 PM
GoonBag

I've fished Frank Lake before and we got skunked. I know some people that have pulled pike out of there, though. But its really just a disgusting slew...I'll never go back.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:51 PM
sheep hunter

Like Goon said....I have heard of people catching pike out of it but not certain about its status now.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:38 PM
dodger

This was just a dried up swamp for years and years. In the mid nineties Ducks Unlimited built a small burm around parts of the "lakes". It is made up of 3 swamps flowing into each other. Great for bird watching but no fish left in there.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:51 PM
jrs

Historically wasn't it a fertilizer plant or slaughter pond or something? A local guy was telling me at one time they could jet boat in there then it became overgrown and filled in. I know the water coming out enters the Littlebow and effects can be seen a little ways downstream. Gets really bubbly during the spring runoff.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:07 PM
willy

Default cargill water

Some of the water comes from the cargill meat plant which has stabilized the levels. Never heard of fish in there tho.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:17 PM
willy

Default heres a link with info on frank lake

www.ducksunlimited.ca/abo...60526.html
Old 08-29-2007, 01:00 PM

Has anyone hunted Frank lake before?
Old 08-29-2007, 05:39 PM

I grew up hunting Frank Lake. The Hutterites own all the land on the east side. If you get permission and set up some decoys in the fields you can have great hunts. Not sure what current regs. are for hunting the lake itself. But when I did hunt there the Ducks and Geese would gain height in the middle of the lake and then fly out. The fields I hunted are a 1/2 km. away so the birds were not spooked coming to the decoys.

Dodger.