Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-19-2007, 03:54 PM

Default Lethbridge and Cypress Hills advice

G'day folks,

Just bought my first fly fishing set-up and I'm stoked to try it out. I'm heading to Lethbridge this weekend, then heading to Cypress Hills (Elkwater) for a week.

Any tips on where to go at each location (I'll hit Bullshead and Ressor for sure).

As well, any tips on flies and technique would be appreciated. I know practice will be needed on whatever I do, but I'd like to get a bit of a headstart.

Thanks
Ace
Old 07-19-2007, 04:42 PM

Hit up Nicholas Sheran on the westside. There are books, browns and pike in there. Then there is Mcquillan pond which was just stocked with 15,000 fish about a month or 2 ago.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:58 PM

For Bullshead any nymph with a hint of red was working (accordinjg what I'd heard) this was a month ago though so things may have changed. A pheasant tail nypmh with or without a gold bead has been my favorite. Not sure what works at Ressor had my little girls there float fishing 3 weeks ago we caught a mittful of freshly stocked trout sure was fun for the kids, I would think a small boat or floaat tube would put you into bigger fish there. Regardless of the fishing Ressor is one beautiful place.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanGSP View Post
Hit up Nicholas Sheran on the westside. There are books, browns and pike in there. Then there is Mcquillan pond which was just stocked with 15,000 fish about a month or 2 ago.
Cool. Can you put a canoe in Nicholas Sheran, or just fish from shore?
Old 07-20-2007, 09:06 AM

Default ya canoe it ..

I wouldn't put in a speed boat or anything but lots of guys run around in canoes, dingy's or belly boats ..

MJ
Old 07-20-2007, 03:39 PM

Ya you can throw a boat in there I just dont think you can have a motor. Throw me a PM I will tell you some of my hot spots.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:16 AM

Here's a few of the 'bows we got at Bullshead. They were rising all around us, but they didn't want my dry fly, so my father-in-law and I just used our spinning gear, and caught a few.

See ya
Adam

p.s. Dont' let my father-in-law take your picture..he'll cut part of your head off..lol...

Last edited by Ace; 08-18-2007 at 09:22 AM.