Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-17-2007, 02:48 PM

Default Backcountry trip to Marvel, Magog and Gog

We're getting rid of the kids next week and are considering doing the Bryant Creek trail and Assiniboine pass (giving ourselves 3 days.) Haven't been back there yet but the fishing options seem to be Marvel and Gloria lake on the AB side and Magag, Cerulean, Sunburst and Gog on the BC side. Has anyone on the board hiked in this way before? Anything worth knowing ahead of time or other water bodies that are worth considering? Also, is it worth biking the first 6k from the Mount Shark trailhead to the Wardens cabin?

Thanks for any help, folks. If we go, I'll be sure and post a report with pics.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:14 PM

Very nice hike. However, you may want to check the trail conditions before heading out as they often close the area for grizzly activity. This is considered one of the prime grizzly habitats in Banff. 2 years ago we had a hike planned for the area and drove to the trailhead only to find out the area was closed. We had to do plan B in Kananaskis.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:21 PM

Default I have been through there twice

First route we took was from above Spray and out through Rock lake and surprise creek cabin and out to the 93 in B.C.

The second time was from Sunshine through to Spray lakes. These were my favorite hikes. The best fishing we had was at Rock lake where we actually caught pan sized fish on a hook with toilet paper, as soon as it hit the water there was a fish on. Marvel was good as well but I think sees more pressure. I think you mean Magog and Og but I could be wrong. Either way we did not happen to fish those. There are some nice little streams along the way that hold fish but just check over the regs as to what you can and cannot fish (always a good idea).

As far as the bikes go I have ridden in and out to the warden cabin and back and it is ok riding and goes alot faster than walking but then again I have walked it as well and it was not that bad of a hike either.

Both trips we took six night and seven days but we really took our time.

Have fun and watch for bears, there is plenty back there.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:31 PM

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the info guys. One part of Assiniboine pass is closed due to Bear activity but the other trail is open, as is Bryant Creek. We were thinking of coming into the BC side via Assiniboine pass and hiking back to AB via Wander Pass. I heard that this is the easier way vs. doing it the opposite way (especially if I'm going to try and take my float tube on my back!)
Old 08-19-2007, 04:30 AM

We did the trip years ago. The fishing was marginal but the scenery was beautiful. This is also a nice time of year to be there.

Good luck!
Old 08-19-2007, 08:57 AM

We also did the trip to Magog and Sunburst. It is a great area, the lakes are full of cruising fish. When we were their the lakes had an explosion of fresh water shrimp and the fish were literally just swimming around with their mouths open. We got one 12" fish on an orange with gold bladed mepps in Magog by the glacier at the end of the lake and had three fish on none landed in Sunburst all taking Royal Coachman dry flies.

We decided we liked fishing Sunburst better then Magog since it was easier to see the fish and set up an ambush. Check out the cabin by Sunburst there used to be cardboard cutouts of the cutthrout trout people have landed. It is also worth a hike over to the lodge on the other side of the valley for a meal.

Good Luck hope the fish co-operate.