Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-21-2007, 08:49 PM

Default Outboard value?

Hey guys just wondering if some of you can tell me how much a 12 year old Johnson 6 Hp outboard motor might be worth? The motor hasn't seen water in 7 years. Thanks FS
Old 08-22-2007, 02:21 PM

300.00 if it is in good shape.but at 50.00 to 90.00 per hour for repair there really not worth much. imo.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:21 PM
Jackson

Default 6hp

well i would have to ask if you know how much running time on the motor and has it been winterized every winter .Seven years it hasnt seen water has it been started in all that time has it ever had a compression test .

If all is good $300.00 - $400.00 isnt bad but like cooper said
Quote:
but at 50.00 to 90.00 per hour for repair there really not worth much.
Good luck
Old 08-22-2007, 03:52 PM

Default Outboard price

Twice I have stored Evinrude motors 9.5 and 15 horse for four years and did nothing extaordinary to them prior to the storage and both times had no problem when returning to Canada. I still use the 15 and doubt if it has accumulated 100 total hours yet so its had lots of sitting around than usage. If you can tank it, run it and make sure the water pump is working. Insects have a habit of getting into the head. If she runs good and the water pump works you may get a good buy for 3-400 range. If the water doesn't pump, negotiate accordingly, and take the leg apart and blow compressed air back through the head to clean a nest out. The worst I could see in future if all seems well would be a fuel pump change and that is relatively simple. Hope this helps.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwan View Post
Twice I have stored Evinrude motors 9.5 and 15 horse for four years and did nothing extaordinary to them prior to the storage and both times had no problem when returning to Canada. I still use the 15 and doubt if it has accumulated 100 total hours yet so its had lots of sitting around than usage. If you can tank it, run it and make sure the water pump is working. Insects have a habit of getting into the head. If she runs good and the water pump works you may get a good buy for 3-400 range. If the water doesn't pump, negotiate accordingly, and take the leg apart and blow compressed air back through the head to clean a nest out. The worst I could see in future if all seems well would be a fuel pump change and that is relatively simple. Hope this helps.
Ditto on thw water pump!
They are easy to change on the Johnsons, but they do get fatigued if not used .
The rubber impellar gets a set in it and quits bending the way it should, so it's a good thing to make sure it is working well before using it...
$300 for a good outboard is not unreasonable, IMHO.
cat
Old 08-23-2007, 11:16 PM

Your getting bad responses, no offense. I'd ask 600-700 for it and expect 500 at least. Bargain finder is free to advertise. If you let it go for 300 your getting fleeced, and you should try to get more. I have seen 6hp 15 years old or better, well used units in salt eater go for $300. If your is well kept, get a fair price.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
Your getting bad responses, no offense. I'd ask 600-700 for it and expect 500 at least. Bargain finder is free to advertise. If you let it go for 300 your getting fleeced, and you should try to get more. I have seen 6hp 15 years old or better, well used units in salt eater go for $300. If your is well kept, get a fair price.
That is what we sell them for up here, prices may be a different down south.
Cat
Old 08-24-2007, 06:44 AM
50BMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
I agree. I haven't seen an outboard go for less than 450 in this area
Old 08-24-2007, 10:13 AM

Default Outboard

Guys thanks very much for your advice. FS