Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you support the introduction of a bass fishery to Alberta.
Yes 201 52.34%
No 183 47.66%
Voters: 384. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
Don't know nothing about salmon.....But according to some I don't know anything about Bass either...........

It was a entertaining thread Kokanee thanks..
straight from the horses mouth! lol.... had to.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
If the facts he quoted pertained to Alberta I would possibly agree.But the differences between N.S-N.B and alberta are very different. So will I concede not on your life.
Actually the facts do pertain to Alberta. Even the fisheries biologists dont know for sure what the final consequences would be. It could indeed be detrimental to the bow and oldman drainages. They have also supposedly survived in island lake and at one point seemed to be spawning. So yes it is relevent!

And as I have stated before - SRDs policy appears to be no new species!

I sure wouldnt want to be in their shoes if they allowed it and the worst came true!

And of course there is the added expense. Just what we need.

I would like to fish for bass too, but will do it where they already exist.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Actually the facts do pertain to Alberta. Even the fisheries biologists dont know for sure what the final consequences would be. It could indeed be detrimental to the bow and oldman drainages. They have also supposedly survived in island lake and at one point seemed to be spawning. So yes it is relevent!

And as I have stated before - SRDs policy appears to be no new species!

I sure wouldnt want to be in their shoes if they allowed it and the worst came true!

And of course there is the added expense. Just what we need.

I would like to fish for bass too, but will do it where they already exist.
That's your prerogative but by the poll a good % would like to fish them here. or try anyway
Old 04-16-2011, 03:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
straight from the horses mouth! lol.... had to.
That's good, my fault left it open.........LOL
Old 04-16-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
That's good, my fault left it open.........LOL
i am starting to like you.... in a normal kind of way....we disagree but your not an arse to those who disagree with you.... kudos.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
i am starting to like you.... in a normal kind of way....we disagree but your not an arse to those who disagree with you.... kudos.
Thank you
I believe every one has a right to stand up for what they think and will never put them down for that. A lot of people i've disagreed with have turned out to be good friends.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pickrel pat
i am starting to like you.... in a normal kind of way....we disagree but your not an arse to those who disagree with you.... kudos

Quote:
Thank you
I believe every one has a right to stand up for what they think and will never put them down for that. A lot of people i've disagreed with have turned out to be good friends.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You two are like those british cipmunks on Bugs Bunny;

no no nooooo, thank you!

oh but no, THANK you!

But I must insist, after you!

Wow,

but isn't it just Kokanee or a Moderator who can call the thread closed. Though has anyone noticed that no mods have participated in these very heated and successful threads?
Old 04-17-2011, 01:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
Originally Posted by pickrel pat
i am starting to like you.... in a normal kind of way....we disagree but your not an arse to those who disagree with you.... kudos

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You two are like those british cipmunks on Bugs Bunny;

no no nooooo, thank you!

oh but no, THANK you!

But I must insist, after you!

Wow,

but isn't it just Kokanee or a Moderator who can call the thread closed. Though has anyone noticed that no mods have participated in these very heated and successful threads?
I'm sorry if you are apposed to manners but thats the way I was raised
Old 04-17-2011, 03:20 PM

Bass/Crappie fishing is highly over-rated in my opinion, so no.....
Old 04-17-2011, 03:33 PM

Tied again.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry if you are apposed to manners but thats the way I was raised
if that's truly the case trader, you may want to consider changing the wording of the addition to your signature. as you are well aware there are many young up and coming sportsman on this forum, and they won't be benefiting from reading that after every one of your posts. just something for you to consider.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
if that's truly the case trader, you may want to consider changing the wording of the addition to your signature. as you are well aware there are many young up and coming sportsman on this forum, and they won't be benefiting from reading that after every one of your posts. just something for you to consider.
You are right Dace perhaps it was not the smartest thing to do.Sometimes we don't always think of others.consider it gone If it offended i'm sorry
Old 04-17-2011, 05:35 PM

50% say yes 50% say no...
Old 04-17-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
90% of the species in alberta are NON-NATIVE the alberta...
Please name them.

So far, we have Rainbow Trout (non-Athabasca strain), Brook Trout, Brown Trout, Golden Trout, Grass Carp and then a few little foreigners in Banff Springs. Pretty sure that does not add up to 90%....

Pike, Walleye, Burbot, Yellow Perch, Lake Whitefish, Mountain Whitefish, Lake Sturgeon, Grayling, Cutthroat Trout, (Athabasca) Rainbow Trout, Sauger, Bull Trout, Lake Trout, Goldeye, Cisco... and then a couple dozen species that are not commonly targeted by fishermen, are all native species in AB, though not necessarily native to ALL waters.

ETA... Just checked, AFAIK currently there are 51 native species and 8 non-native (reproducing populations). So, quick math shows just under 14% are non-native species.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Please name them.

So far, we have Rainbow Trout (non-Athabasca strain), Brook Trout, Brown Trout, Golden Trout, Grass Carp and then a few little foreigners in Banff Springs. Pretty sure that does not add up to 90%....

Pike, Walleye, Burbot, Yellow Perch, Lake Whitefish, Mountain Whitefish, Lake Sturgeon, Grayling, Cutthroat Trout, (Athabasca) Rainbow Trout, Sauger, Bull Trout, Lake Trout, Goldeye, Cisco... and then a couple dozen species that are not commonly targeted by fishermen, are all native species in AB, though not necessarily native to ALL waters.

ETA... Just checked, AFAIK currently there are 51 native species and 8 non-native (reproducing populations). So, quick math shows just under 14% are non-native species.
If you had any respect you would read the whole thread before you post. and you would see that this issue was gone over a few times. But if this is the way you like to do it i'll wait until you you read part of every thread i've ever posted on and you can make your remarks.but please start a new thread so you don't high jack this one.if you find my remarks to be rude then i am sorry and you can make comment to it a week from now. good bye and thanks for keeping up with the times........

oy vey....
Old 04-17-2011, 08:09 PM

does anyone in this thread actively fish for bass?
Old 04-17-2011, 08:31 PM

i aunaly fish for bass 2 times a year. BC and Washington.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
virtually on the wii every once and awhile with the kids, but we all prefer targeting the other species on the game that are more of a challenge to catch.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:08 PM

I'm from Ontario, where Bass fishing is Huge! It's a relatively short season for the, 3rd weekend in June until Dec 1st...I believe. They are late spawners as they need warmer water, they can sometimes be caught through the ice, by chance. I think that if youve never been bass fishing, you really should try it! Nothing like tossing a frog on some lilly pads and watching the water Explode as a Largemouth engulfs your lure! Its truly amazing!

On the other hand though, some people see bass as an invasive species, which on some counts is true.

so, in closing... No, I would not support an introduction of bass in Alberta. But highly suggest, if you havent been...that you pick up some 4" tube baits and some artificial frogs..and head to the BC interior and get on some Bass!! You'll have a blast, I can almost gaurantee that!!
Old 04-17-2011, 09:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
haven't fished for bass since i've been here all the time back home.
but would like to again. hmmmmmm...even if it mean a trip to BC
Old 04-17-2011, 09:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
i aunaly fish for bass 2 times a year. BC and Washington.

nice fish.....fish hunter
Old 04-17-2011, 09:14 PM

If I can afford it I will be trying to get out to BC a few times this summer to fish for some largemouths.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:46 AM

Time to put this thread to bed boys and stop dreaming. Playing God will only destroy what little fishing we have in southern alberta. I guess it's fun to day dream but reality bites, Lets concentrate on making the fishing we have better. Time to kill this thread. Man we need spring bad!
Old 04-18-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
If you had any respect you would read the whole thread before you post. and you would see that this issue was gone over a few times. But if this is the way you like to do it i'll wait until you you read part of every thread i've ever posted on and you can make your remarks.but please start a new thread so you don't high jack this one.if you find my remarks to be rude then i am sorry and you can make comment to it a week from now. good bye and thanks for keeping up with the times........

oy vey....
Sorry, I guess I missed the sarcasm in your 90% post, for I assume that is what has you riled. I now assume you fully understood the stupidity of such a statement and were meaning it jest?

As for crying about how I have not taken the time to read every single post you have ever made, or the 373 posts in this thread before mine, I won't apologize for having a job, a family and a life.....

Horsetrader, you appear (from the page or two of posts I DID read) to be supporting the introduction of bass into AB waters (am I wrong?). I can see that other well spoken members have provided you all the necessary reasons why it should not be done, but that does not appear to make any difference to you or your opinion. Telling.

Cheers, and good trolling - but you ain't gonna lip this old boy!
Old 04-18-2011, 09:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Sorry, I guess I missed the sarcasm in your 90% post, for I assume that is what has you riled. I now assume you fully understood the stupidity of such a statement and were meaning it jest?

As for crying about how I have not taken the time to read every single post you have ever made, or the 373 posts in this thread before mine, I won't apologize for having a job, a family and a life.....

Horsetrader, you appear (from the page or two of posts I DID read) to be supporting the introduction of bass into AB waters (am I wrong?). I can see that other well spoken members have provided you all the necessary reasons why it should not be done, but that does not appear to make any difference to you or your opinion. Telling.

I was going to stay out of this one...... but what the heck

Prudelpointer, I think you are taking things a little to litteral here. I agree its probably not 90% but your 14% statistic is not what horse trader was alluding to and he can correct me if I am wrong but I believe he was referring to a more detailed statistic in that most fish residing in there current waters are not native to that specific water body. for example, Perch may be native to a particular body of water in alberta but they are NOT native to 75% of the waters they are found today. If you carry this analysis out across all the species in alberta i bet you would find a number closer to 65-75%(or 90% ) of fish are not native to the waterbody in which they are found although they are native somewhere in alberta.

Just for the record since your not reading all the posts. Im against stocking bass so im not siding with Horsetrader on the debate, just against the information you posted. that said, carry on
Old 04-18-2011, 09:38 AM
Banned

PS. id just like to point out the vote is tied at the moment
Old 04-18-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braun View Post
I was going to stay out of this one...... but what the heck

Prudelpointer, I think you are taking things a little to litteral here. I agree its probably not 90% but your 14% statistic is not what horse trader was alluding to and he can correct me if I am wrong but I believe he was referring to a more detailed statistic in that most fish residing in there current waters are not native to that specific water body. for example, Perch may be native to a particular body of water in alberta but they are NOT native to 75% of the waters they are found today. If you carry this analysis out across all the species in alberta i bet you would find a number closer to 65-75%(or 90% ) of fish are not native to the waterbody in which they are found although they are native somewhere in alberta.

Just for the record since your not reading all the posts. Im against stocking bass so im not siding with Horsetrader on the debate, just against the information you posted. that said, carry on
Excellent, thanks Braun for a great response. If that IS what horsetrader was referring to, then I would definitely go along with that.

Probably would have been just as fast for him to type that, as it was for his pi**y response.

K. Back to work.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:07 AM

So basically you are saying that because idiots go to great lengths to capture , clear our and remove bass to reach into such stupid ideas as , gill netting , placing barriers etc etc ...

thats why bass is a problem ? i still dont see any mention of declines or anything like this ... FACT , most FACTS state some form of FACT to become a FACT ... Right now your still barking , and only indicating that people make terrible decisions trying to undo things ... rather then plan and put proper rules in place .

BC doesnt have bass in all its lakes , why is that ? could it be the laws are managed and the distribution is balanced ?
Old 04-18-2011, 10:56 AM
Banned

Quote:

No you did not miss the sarcasm there was none.and thank you for calling my statement stupid it show me just where your mind set is.What you did miss was where it was discussed a couple time and facts did come out.With out your help. it's good to hear you have a job a family and a life i'm sure 1 or 2 others on this site do to..... What truly amazes me is you had no time or just did not want to be bothered to read the post but you found the time to do the research to try and make a member look like a jerk....Thank you for making this a member friendly site .......
Old 04-18-2011, 11:04 AM
Banned