Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-06-2009, 09:05 PM

Default fishing Glow sticks

Im heading out night fishing on saterday and I was wondering if anyone has tried using glow sticks? I picked up some rather large ones and Im planing on attaching it to my line about a foot or so above my bait, any suggestions?
Old 02-07-2009, 09:08 AM

Im I the first to do this? Ill let everyone now how it goes and post pics
Old 02-07-2009, 09:27 AM

Tried it a few years back. Didn't work very well. Would light the stick, put it in the cold water and it would quit glowing in pretty short order. Bring it up, warm it till it glowed and repeat. Maybe newer glow sticks will work better in the cold but the ones from a few years back were useless at or below freezing. (Make sure you tied them to some line so you can get them back and not pollute the lake.) Let us know how yours works out.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:04 AM

Make sure you tied them to some line so you can get them back and not pollute the lake.)

Is this legal? I don't think "some line" this would qualify as "attached to a hook or line used in angling". I would think that it must be attached to the same line as the hook.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE HOLE View Post
Make sure you tied them to some line so you can get them back and not pollute the lake.)

Is this legal? I don't think "some line" this would qualify as "attached to a hook or line used in angling". I would think that it must be attached to the same line as the hook.
Yup thats what im doing attaching to my line above my minnow
Old 02-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Banned

I think i read somewhere that it is illegal to use light to attract fish, oh yeah in regulations!
Old 02-08-2009, 11:40 AM

well we headed out at 9:00pm to 1:30pm and we slayed the burbot, between me and my buddy we landed over 30 fish (all burbot) nothing huge though. thay all averaged around 4 pounds still fun but I was hoping for a lunker. The weather was awsome around +1C all night we just sat in are lawn chairs and fished through the night with non-stop action. It was extreamly surreal the full moon would poke out from behind the clouds and light up the whole lake and the sound of coyotes off in the distance. The glow sticks worked great thay lit up the minnows perfect and thay were bright you had no problem looking down the and seeing your minnow and the bottom lite up in 10ft of water. Ill post pics after I get something to eat (i just got up) I was a great night and Ill be doing it again
Old 02-08-2009, 11:53 AM

Here are some pics thay all were around this size with the aception of one my buddy lost but by the way it fought im thinking it was a big pike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gun pics 009night.jpg (41.8 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg gun pics 006night.jpg (56.2 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg gun pics 007night.jpg (36.7 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg gun pics 008night.jpg (36.2 KB, 121 views)
Old 02-09-2009, 04:36 PM

Default jeprli This is pasted right out of this years on line regs.

Jep

If you are going to quote scripture, or regs, make sure you have read them first.

General Sportfishing Restrictions
It Is Unlawful To:

Use a hook that is not a barbless hook. (Click here for definition of barbless hook.)
Use more than one line when angling into open water.
Use more than two lines when angling into ice-covered water.
While angling be further than 30 m from any line in the water.
Use a line in angling equipped with more than three hooks (e.g., three hooks, or three single-hook lures, or one three-hook lure).
Use a lure in angling with more than three hooks as part of it.
Use a hook with more than three points on a common shaft (see Important Definitions).
Release live fish or live fish eggs into any waters except back to the waters from which they were caught.
Possess live CRAYFISH.
Possess live BAIT FISH.
Possess live GAME FISH unless the fish have been lawfully caught by angling and are within 100 m of the waters from which they were caught.
Use live fish for bait.
Set out or use bait to attract fish unless it is attached to a hook used in angling.
Use scented lures or scented weights where bait bans are in effect.
Fish by snagging.
Possess fish taken by snagging.
Possess a snagging device while angling.
Use gaffs, gaff hooks or spring-loaded hooks.
Use snares, firearms, or any device to attract, stun or kill fish by causing an explosion or electrical current in the water.
Use lights to sportfish unless the light is attached to a hook or line used in angling.
Clean fish for transport home in a manner that is not authorized. (see Cleaning and Transporting Fish below.)
Old 02-09-2009, 05:02 PM

In the pics you can see the glow stick its on my line right above my hook