Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-22-2008, 08:49 PM

Post Anyone on pigeon lake?

Just wondering if anyone has been around pigeon lake and I was wondering if the ice is there? If so good enough to drive on or how thick is the ice? Hows the fishing?

Bass..
Old 12-29-2008, 09:01 PM

How thick is the ice around the drop off (provincial park) good for whites and walleye? What have you guys been catching them on?

Thanks Bassett...
Old 12-29-2008, 10:46 PM

The ice is thick enough to drive one on. 14" - 19" depending where you are.
A few guys have been catching whites, and almost everyone has caught a few walleye.
Sounds like there isn't any hook that is out catching the others.
Hope to hit Pigeon in the next day or so. I will post an update after fishing.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 12-30-2008, 07:42 AM

Was out to Pigeon yesterday. We saw one whitefish & one ling. After about 5 hours we drove around a good 3/4's of the lake (much of it on the ice) and talked to every ice fisherman out there. Not one person had caught a fish, and only a very few had even seen a fish. One of those days!!! Strong east wind blowing......hmmm??? Checked out Battle for about and hour & a half. No one else fishing there & didn't see a fish. Went to Gull in the late afternoon. Found two people that had one fish each. Went home to lick our wounds & look forward to another day!
Old 12-30-2008, 07:59 PM

We fished Pigeon on Friday, Saturday Sunday and again today. In most areas the ice is at least 16" but it was really "popping" today probably due to the cold air mass? On Friday 4 of us managed 7 whites, Saturday and Sunday there were 4 of us again and we picked up a total of 16. Today, in the bitterly cold wind, we managed another 7 whites and an 8 lb. burbot. We had a lot of incidentasl catches of Walleye, all of which were released as they were quite small and our tags are for the over 50 cm size limit.

Pigeon whites are incredible this year as they look great and are a really good size as some of the ones we landed were an honest 3 1/2 - 4 lbs. I beleive the key to Pigeon, at least at this time of the year, is mobility. We fish an area for 30 minutes max, if there's no action we're on the move. I remeber an Al Linder comment a few years ago wherein he stated "the key to ice fisihing success is mobility". We spoke to numerous anglers on all 4 days that had be in the same holes all day long and had nothing or 1 or 2 to show for the day. Early in the AM start shallow, as shallow as 2' and as the day progresses head to deeper, rock/sand bottoms up to depths of 20' and at last light head back shallow. Over the past 4 days we've pretty well covered the entire lake from Mulhurst to Crystal Springs to Connors to the Park Point never staying anywhere very long but always picking up a few at each location.

Have a great season everyone and be safe on the ice.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:24 PM

Im taking my bro and a few frends to Pigeon this sun. (one has never gone Icefishing befor)
so I hope its a good day with lots of difrent action.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:53 PM

Anyone been on the drop off lately? How the walleye fishing? Whites? Provincial side.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:37 PM

We fished the Provincial Park drop off last Saturday and never had a bite all day and nor did anyone else. The Saturday before i caught 1 Pike and 2 walleye there.

I'm wodering how it is on the north side

Rob
Old 01-10-2009, 06:45 PM

We were there last Sunday afternoon.....3 of us. We pulled up a dozen walleyes. They were biting better in the early afternoon and slowed down towards dark. 3 to 6 pounders in about 8 feet of water. We saw a couple of big guys but they weren't interested. I also saw one non-interested big perch. That's it.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:52 PM

Was at pigeon at the provincial park today. Saw pike, walleye, whitefish, and a burbot, but nothing was very interested at all. There was about 40 trucks out and I only saw 5 small fish caught.