Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-15-2009, 01:11 PM

Default Fireline

Does anyone have a preference to which fireline they use? I have used the smoked one (grey) for years and was wondering if the clear one is any better.
Any suggestions would be great.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:29 PM

I find that the crystal fireline is effective when targeting smaller fish, such as trout and panfish. I do not think that the color of the line effects catch rates with larger species very much. Ive been using the flourescent green and smoke colors for years now and i cannot tell the difference in catch rates
Old 01-15-2009, 01:43 PM

For walleye fishing I have been primairly using the smoke fireline since it came out on the market and in the last year and a half, I have been using the crystal, and I find no real difference between the two. Icefishing for perch I use the one pound diameter four pound breaking strength in smoke, and it's been fine. For trout though, I still would be hesitant to have it tied directly to yor hook, as trout are much more line shy. I use mono for trout, or you could use a 6 foot piece of mono of fluorocarbon as a leader if you wish. Chris K
Old 01-15-2009, 01:47 PM

me neither , I used to buy black 20 lbs fireline , since 2 years now I have been using the Crystal 20 lbs and I find no difference, I find the line very strong though and got it loaded on every rod that I have.
I do not recomend using it in - 0 temperature as it ends up freezing very badly.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:27 PM

I use the smoke fire line for everything but I almost always use a fluorocarbon leader. Just use a double Uni-Knot to join them. I haven't tried the crystal yet and probably won't any time soon since I always use a leader. If you go to the States; go to Walmart and stock up on fireline. They charge about half the price for it there.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:19 PM

I have 30lb smoke on on of my salmon setups and 30 crystal on the other, I don't think there is difference. Truth be told, I think I'm going to be rigging another setup with the hi-vis pink fireline so I can track it better when I'm running two or more rods in close proximity. I'm not worried about it spooking the fish as its just running to a 3-way swivel anyway. The moneymaker off of the 3-way is rigged with 25 fluorocarbon
Old 01-15-2009, 08:07 PM
Banned

Default Fireline

I too use the smoke and crystal colors and have not really noticed any diffference. There are now a couple more colors to choose from, camo and tracer braid.
Also a new line out (I believe last year) called invisabraid, looks very much like crystal but it seems to be a little softer than the fireline.
I have not tried any yet but will try it out in the next few weeks.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:34 AM
Banned

I switched from the smoke to the fluorescent green/yellow on my jigging and rigging rods. I love the added visibility for detecting subtle bites jigging or watching the line "pay" when rigging. I also have crystal spooled up on couple rods. I don't notice a whole lot of difference, if any, switching back and forth. IMHO, it's because there just isn't that much difference in visibility under most conditions when they're both in the water, at least to my eye.

However, if the water is clear, or the bite is real finnicky, I definitely notice a difference (for the better) when I use a fluorocarbon leader.

I'll be keeping an eye on the new "camo" and tracer braids, I likely won't be able to resist at least trying them.

Waxy
Old 01-16-2009, 02:22 PM

Stren Microfuse Ice Blue is by far the best ice fishing line made to date. I only use Stren products.

http://www.stren.com/prod.php?k=8927...;20%20(1133759)

Last edited by TexasTornado; 01-16-2009 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Wrong Link
Old 01-16-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTornado View Post
Stren Microfuse Ice Blue is by far the best ice fishing line made to date. I only use Stren products.

http://www.stren.com/prod.php?k=8927...%20%20(1133759)
LOL I love the term "The Best" - I am still wondering which fast food joint has the best burger as all of them claim they have the best