Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-18-2009, 08:33 PM

Default Chestermere Tagged Pike

Was out on Chestermere today with my son (Superman). Fine day on the ice. Managed over a dozen of the Hammer handles. To our surprise, attached to the lower jaw of one such handle my son brought through the hole, was what we first thought was an old bit of fishing line. Was encrusted with alge growth. Couldn't at first figure out this fishes adornment as it was looped though it's lower jaw. So we cut the loop and released the little guy back down the hole. I started to scrape away the crud and discovered that it was a fish tag. A billfish tag to boot. Org outa Fort Lauderdale Fla. Can you believe our Northies going south for a holiday? Doutful. We figures it was some bored guy trying to catch him again...or from a long ago fish derby....any ideas?
Old 01-20-2009, 01:56 PM

I have never heard of this...
maybe it was raise down south and was introduced to the lake years ago when or if they stocked it...

beats me. thats kind of cool though!
How big was it?
Old 01-20-2009, 02:18 PM
Big.Bear

lol interesting find
Old 01-20-2009, 05:46 PM

I believe the tag part of the story, it's the "over a dozen" out of chestermere part I don't believe.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdapres' View Post
I believe the tag part of the story, it's the "over a dozen" out of chestermere part I don't believe.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdapres' View Post
actually if you know where to fish theres lots, and in the canals leading into the lake in the summer, theres tons in there too we would catch well over a dozen in a couple hours out of the canals by the train bridge
Old 01-20-2009, 06:31 PM

Yeah ditto to the last post. I was out with my girlfriend last week and we caught 9 and missed 4 in an 1 hours and 30 mins. We went right before the sun went down. She dropped it in 3 times and got a bite instant. sadly 6 of the 9 caught was her's LOL
Old 01-20-2009, 06:33 PM

Last time I was there in the south part I managed about one every 30 min or so in the middle of the afternoon. Lots of people around so I decided to fish in slightly different spots, one was only 3ft deep and the other about 5ft. One guy that came by said you'll never catch anything that shallow but I did get two (about 55cm so not legal) and lost one from that shallow hole. Got two others from the 5ft hole. Not a bad day except that I had go to back to work in the middle of that gorgeous day

The other day I saw a guy in about the same spot with a nice fat keeper.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:50 PM

Thumbs up

Truly we managed 15 fish or the same fish 15 times all averaged between 20 to 23 inches at 2-3lbs in about 5ft water. Only one on the tippys all rest jigging smelts, greeny yellow grubs and the smallest on a 5 oh diamonds tiped with the remains of a smelt head. Son fished same hole all day drew out 10. I fished anywheres from 5ft to 15 aways from his hole and out fished me two to one. Lots of people around us and every hole was producing go figure. As previous post stated action picked up about 1 hour before sunset. Was a grand day. Short drive, more time on the ice, lots of fish...
Old 01-25-2009, 10:32 AM

Could have been taged fish from fishing derby .Never known of anybody catching the taged fish.Think it was once worth $5000. To late now lol.