Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-31-2011, 07:52 PM

Default A Big Thanks to Alberta F&W

I just picked up a copy of the fishing regs for this year and noticed that fishing on Glenmore Reservoir has been closed from Nov 1-May 1. This is great news for anyone who fishes the reservoir, Because now the pike will hopefully have a chance to spawn. It's exciting to think about the improvment in this fishery for years to come. Also saw that the largest rainbow submitted to the regs happened to be out of the Glenmore as well. Nice catch. Thanks to F&W for working to protect this great fishery.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:59 PM

I haven't fished there for years.
The last time I did, I pedaled my bike (8yrs old) and was fishing by the narrows. At that time, there was still one lane traffic allowed on the dam.
It's been a while.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:23 PM

fished there last year got some very ncie pike in the 15lber range most of em are 6-8 if u can find em. i did get a very nice bow from there on a dry fly. but i liked to fish that lake on the spawn as long as you get the fish in and not keep em there fine IMO
Old 03-31-2011, 09:30 PM

@Kokanee9. Where is the narrows which you referred to? I believe I might have fished there as a child also, but can never find it again. I recall seeing some nice trouts there. Thanks.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:35 PM

elbow river?
Old 03-31-2011, 09:53 PM

I agree that it is great to see this water body being protected a bit more. There are some great pike in there and some even greater brown and rainbow trout.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:00 PM

the only time i can get the trout in there are using the cd-7 silver or gold patterns in the deeper stuff and cant get em on on the 5 or 9 11 sizes 7 seems lucky and the silver or gold is a staple on there
Old 03-31-2011, 11:13 PM

its nice to see them actually make an attempt to update the regs so stuff like the glenmore res doesn't overlap with other laws. like others i wanted to ice fish glenmore but was told that there was some bylaw on glenmore that doesn not allow it but even though the regs say its year round. like others i have encountered these issues and emailed them in and hope they will update things. i really hope they change some of the info on some of the lakes on what species it has, like some lakes say just rainbows and there is cutts and brookies in there visa versa.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:27 PM

Glenmore reservoir is nothing but a private club that's managed for the exclusive use of the rich and the elite. The regs for boating and fishing it are stupid. Generally: Fish and Wildlife in Alberta are a joke There is no fishery too good that they can't screw it up. The guys running it should all be fired and replaced by people who are competent.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:02 AM

Ogre - I was referring to where Glenmore trail bridge is. The east bank was filled in enough that it created a slight flow to the water in that spot all year around.

It was filled in on the east side. Not sure if it was to shorten the bridge span or if it was dirt removed and placed there during construction of the dam.

I have had a canoe doing nothing in the backyard, I should take it on there this year. Just never think of going on there.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:13 AM

Mudslide - Too bad you feel that way. I have been checked many times and never had any real problems. Some F&W may go a bit far once in a while, but I think that may be the exception. Most I have met didn't give me any problems. Prior to the next provincial election, go out to public forums and put the people (running for positions) at the top on the hot seat by asking them questions. Grill them. Make them squirm in their seat. I'm sure you could do it. That may be the best way to bring in a change.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
Mudslide - Too bad you feel that way. I have been checked many times and never had any real problems. Some F&W may go a bit far once in a while, but I think that may be the exception. Most I have met didn't give me any problems. Prior to the next provincial election, go out to public forums and put the people (running for positions) at the top on the hot seat by asking them questions. Grill them. Make them squirm in their seat. I'm sure you could do it. That may be the best way to bring in a change.
I dont think he was refering directly ot the COs. Just to the people who actually make desicions regarding Resource development and management
Old 04-01-2011, 08:02 AM

Braun, I'd say your right.
That is also who I was referring to in the second half of my post. The elected people who make the decisions that have an effect on all of us. If we don't agree with the way things are done, that is the way we have to make change. Letters are also the other method, when done in numbers.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:03 AM

Kokanee,

Just an FYI, if you are thinking of going to that side of the rez (unclear within your post) there are no boats allowed on the section north of the causeway (between Glenmore "bridge" and the dam)!

P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
Ogre - I was referring to where Glenmore trail bridge is. The east bank was filled in enough that it created a slight flow to the water in that spot all year around.

It was filled in on the east side. Not sure if it was to shorten the bridge span or if it was dirt removed and placed there during construction of the dam.

I have had a canoe doing nothing in the backyard, I should take it on there this year. Just never think of going on there.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect the Resource View Post
I just picked up a copy of the fishing regs for this year and noticed that fishing on Glenmore Reservoir has been closed from Nov 1-May 1. This is great news for anyone who fishes the reservoir, Because now the pike will hopefully have a chance to spawn. It's exciting to think about the improvment in this fishery for years to come. Also saw that the largest rainbow submitted to the regs happened to be out of the Glenmore as well. Nice catch. Thanks to F&W for working to protect this great fishery.
your thanking the wrong organization...... but f @ w do a hell of a job to!
Old 04-02-2011, 09:02 PM

at sylvan lake and at that lake only is when they give me trouble...they come and check up on the people including me 4-5 times a day in some cases. but there okay people for doing a good job but i think thats pushing it too far especialy when they know iv been using my jig ad minnow for the last 6 hours lol i think they should spend some time elsewhere on the lake. mabe for some poeple poaching or doing something illigal....
Old 04-02-2011, 09:06 PM

mudslide, man you are about the most level headed guy ive come across.
youre totally right, it seems in alberta f@w is trying to protect everything for the catch and release fly fisherman... Trying to make an industry out of fishing you know what i mean?
Old 04-02-2011, 09:35 PM

they been trying to do that forever...
Old 04-02-2011, 09:43 PM

and thats the problem.
Prweserve everything for catch and release, well eventually with these limits the way they are there will be no trout to catch and release theyre killing all of the smaller trout(under 35) and letting the big ones go the big ones then eat all o the food in the lake or river and kill everything else. so over time theres virtually not fisdh in the system because of these dumb rules Sustainable Resource Development
More like
Short sighted Resource Development.....
Old 04-02-2011, 09:47 PM

IMO i think they should have slot limits so they can ave bigger fish and smaller fsh and there will be less fish caught because they must fall into a certan sizelimit.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:34 PM

@Kokanee9:
Thanks. I vaguely remember that the narrow you mentioned was created. However, the place where i remembered from childhood, which had some really big trouts, was in the flats area by the foot bridges, across from the riverboat dock if memory serves. Hopefully with clever and careful management we'll see a lot more big specimens available for angling.