Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-23-2011, 06:26 PM

Default Jackfish lake Dec 25

I'm heading out to jackfish lake on Christmas day. I have never fished there before. If anyone can help get me started , that would be great! I am just going to walk on the ice. Are there any weak areas on the lake? Also are the pike real big? Can you catch them on large smelts? And should I have bigger than 10lb line? Also has anyone ever targeted the perch there?
Thanks guys.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:46 PM

Thumbs up

The good thing about this lake is that the fish (Walleye and pike) are close by the dock (or boat launch) I was surprised where about's we were catching fish, fish catch rate was very high, even double headers, i was using jigs well the other were using smelts (Larger smelt) 12 feet of water is where we were catching them.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:49 PM

Do some research on the forum. There's loads of info on this lake.

The "SEARCH" button is at the top of the page.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:50 PM

Any one ev hook into burbot on this lake?
Old 12-23-2011, 06:51 PM

I tried that, only one forum on jackfish lake showed up
Old 12-23-2011, 06:52 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercatcher View Post
I tried that, only one forum on jackfish lake showed up
i will bring some up for u
Old 12-23-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.goldeye View Post
Any one ev hook into burbot on this lake?
Believe it or not, my buddy hooked into one a couple summers ago, we were trolling along with jigs and BAM. Funny story, my buddy was screwing around and put a piece of Twizzler (yes the candy) on his jig and thats what the burbot bit on.

Put up a good fight, got him right next to the boat, went to grab him and it flipped crap and spit the hook.

It was pretty big for a burbot, my guess would be around 5lbs.
There's some big fish in that lake if you can find em. Had a 10+lb pike follow my spinnerbait right up to the boat.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:35 PM

Does anyone know if the pike taste good there. You can keep 3 over 63cm.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:40 PM

http://albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/

Do you want us to catch them for you too?
Old 12-23-2011, 08:44 PM

sure if you have time that would be great! That link won't tell me how they taste there.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:55 PM

Catch one, keep if legal and cook. Then inform others if it tastes good. If no good, throw out and make a sandwhich.

Try something for yourself for once.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
sure if you have time that would be great! That link won't tell me how they taste there.
they taste like the same kind of fish caught in any other lake around Alberta
Old 12-23-2011, 09:00 PM

yeah yeah, Why should i waste a fish like that , if I can find out by someone else :-P
Old 12-23-2011, 09:07 PM

I know people who swear by pike during the ice season. Even then, these people all swear by different methods of cooking. Everyone's taste is different (as evident by the monstrous rainbow thread a few days back about them tasting muddy), do the legwork and try it out. Jackfish isn't that far from your town. At the very least, you would have gotten more fishing practice in and maybe improve your catch ratio.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
yeah yeah, Why should i waste a fish like that , if I can find out by someone else :-P
Someone else might think it's gross and you might think it's the best fish out there.

It's not wasting if you try it and then find out it's skunky.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:50 PM

So what I've gathered from your posts in the past few weeks is that you want the folks on the forum to tell you where (specifically) to catch fish, how to cook a trout, what lure to use, what bait to use, what line to use, whether to jig or not (and how) how to use your auger correctly, how to not have your auger stolen, what's the best way to get to the lake, and how are the roads? I'm sure I'm missing something, but that's probably most of it. Now you want us to taste the fish for you too?

With all these questions, you sound like somebody who would really enjoy fishing...you should get out and give it a try some time.

If you spend an afternoon on a given lake, and you don't get anything, maybe go again, and try something different. A single day in a single spot isn't always representative of the potential of a lake - like your experience at Wab. Lots of people have different ways of doing things, and all can work, but you've gotta get out, experiment a little, and learn for yourself. You can't always expect the forum to do the legwork for you...and the more you post asking for others to do the legwork, the less people are going to want to help you out.

The fact is, they can't all be winners. You have no idea how much time I spent on the banks of the NSR trying different tactics and just plain putting in time to catch just a few sturgeon this summer, and how many times I got skunked in the process. I kept at it though, and it turned out to be worthwhile.

Put in some actual effort and you'll be surprised how much it can pay off. Or just keep fishing from your computer chair...it's your call.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 12-24-2011, 12:20 AM

How did that Sturgeon taste Jay? Are you allowed to keep them? What hook did you use for that particular fish?
Old 12-24-2011, 01:10 AM

I'm interested in where you landed that sucker, out of curiosity. The water looks like it's upstream from Devon, correct?

"Dry Hooks Don't Catch Fish"
Old 12-24-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post
How did that Sturgeon taste Jay? Are you allowed to keep them? What hook did you use for that particular fish?

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 12-24-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyangelo View Post
I'm interested in where you landed that sucker, out of curiosity. The water looks like it's upstream from Devon, correct?
Incorrect. Quite a bit downstream from Devon actually.

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 12-25-2011, 09:00 PM

Beautiful lake, how ever there was a pike caught at mink lake over 28 pounds caught this summer
Old 12-25-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSH View Post
Beautiful lake, how ever there was a pike caught at mink lake over 28 pounds caught this summer
Good story...thanks for sharing

+1

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 12-25-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Good story...thanks for sharing

+1
excellent comment! thx for posting.....
Old 12-25-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
excellent comment! thx for posting.....
My point exactly!

I do what I can

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 12-25-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
My point exactly!

I do what I can
I know!
Old 12-28-2011, 01:54 PM

Default Under handed Comments

I dont know what is wrong with this forum lately but seems people (Willowtrail) are starting to be quick to posting underhand comments. Like use search, You want us to cath them for you. I thought this site was for persons who love the sport to assist each other. For the amount of time it takes to post an underhanded comment you could just answer the members question. Somthing to think about. Thanks
Old 12-28-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper3 View Post
I dont know what is wrong with this forum lately but seems people (Willowtrail) are starting to be quick to posting underhand comments. Like use search, You want us to cath them for you. I thought this site was for persons who love the sport to assist each other. For the amount of time it takes to post an underhanded comment you could just answer the members question. Somthing to think about. Thanks
Really Willowtrail is on of the first guys to help people. Maybe you should use the search feature and see how much he has helped people and what brought him and the other guys to there so called underhanded comments. Just sayin. Thanks.

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 12-28-2011, 04:28 PM

You should really know what your talking about before you badmouth a guy. Checked my PM inbox and didn't get a message from you stating your feelings.

If you have spent any time on the fishing discussion lately you would see that every post "Thundercatcher" writes is asking the same questions over and over again. He has never offered any advice to the board but only asks. 90% of his questions are posted already in the history of this fine forum.

He wants us to tell him our lakes, spots, lures, bait and techniques. Many people answer and give him advice and then it doesn't work for him the next day so he wants and wants and wants more. It's got to the point where many members can't stand reading his posts and are not willing to help out anymore.

As for me. I have helped many people out on this forum with info on lakes, spots and techniques. "Cnoble" has taken his kids and wife fishing to a lake I kept very secret and both his child and wife have caught their first fish ever. Sounds pretty underhanded to me.

I have fished and hunted with well over a 2 dozen people on this forum and have no problems getting along with them and their families on the ice in our homes.

Rant over
Old 12-28-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post
You should really know what your talking about before you badmouth a guy. Checked my PM inbox and didn't get a message from you stating your feelings.

If you have spent any time on the fishing discussion lately you would see that every post "Thundercatcher" writes is asking the same questions over and over again. He has never offered any advice to the board but only asks. 90% of his questions are posted already in the history of this fine forum.

He wants us to tell him our lakes, spots, lures, bait and techniques. Many people answer and give him advice and then it doesn't work for him the next day so he wants and wants and wants more. It's got to the point where many members can't stand reading his posts and are not willing to help out anymore.

As for me. I have helped many people out on this forum with info on lakes, spots and techniques. "Cnoble" has taken his kids and wife fishing to a lake I kept very secret and both his child and wife have caught their first fish ever. Sounds pretty underhanded to me.

I have fished and hunted with well over a 2 dozen people on this forum and have no problems getting along with them and their families on the ice in our homes.

Rant over
what lake did you take "cnoble" to? what kind of fish in there? did you jig? i heard shrimp works good bait... did you use shrimp in under 4 fow? is the road good there? feel free to pm me. is "cnoble" a secret code for the lake you were at? lol, sorry, couldnt resist.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
what lake did you take "cnoble" to? what kind of fish in there? did you jig? i heard shrimp works good bait... did you use shrimp in under 4 fow? is the road good there? feel free to pm me. is "cnoble" a secret code for the lake you were at? lol, sorry, couldnt resist.
The road is good till you get near, then it turns to crap. Shrimps no good there, need to use lobster

C.Noble is his user name, never met the guy.