Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-28-2024, 03:07 PM

Default Considering a Bowtech ss34

Hi.
Getting back into archery and am looking for a new or.new to me bow.
One of the ones on my short list is the Bowtech SS34. I am looking for anyone here that has one to please share their thoughts on it.

Have you had any issues with the serving on the strings or cables? Any other thoughts.

Thanks
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 03-29-2024, 01:51 PM

I've owned PSE, hoyt and bowtech. Currently shooting bowtech. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of these brands and their flagship bows.

Currently shooting a realm X. Replaced strings after 3 years and quite a lot of shooting. The factory strings held up well, no issues with serving unravelling. I've shot the SS34 at jim bows and thought it felt similar to mine, maybe a touch smoother. I don't think you can go wrong with the SS34.

If you are looking at going the used route, you can probably find a realm X, realm SS, or revolt for very good value.
Old 03-31-2024, 11:42 AM

i have a SS34 and love it, also have a revolt XL. so far so good with the strings/cables but i went aftermarket right away. maybe put a few hundred shots with the factory stuff waiting for new ones to come in. i do like the taller riser i feel this bow is super stable when shooting. have only had it for the winter no hunting yet.
Old 04-02-2024, 08:58 PM

Only complaints I have read about the SS34 is serving separation on the strings/cables. Some say it is a string/cable issue, where others believe it is a cam design issue due to the fact that custom strings/cables didn't fix the issue.
Old 04-03-2024, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Only complaints I have read about the SS34 is serving separation on the strings/cables. Some say it is a string/cable issue, where others believe it is a cam design issue due to the fact that custom strings/cables didn't fix the issue.
That's what I am worried about. I don't want to spend $1500 for a bow and have to worry about ithe cams. Buying new strings for a new bow is expensive enough but cam problems on a flagship bow is giving me concern.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 04-04-2024, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
That's what I am worried about. I don't want to spend $1500 for a bow and have to worry about ithe cams. Buying new strings for a new bow is expensive enough but cam problems on a flagship bow is giving me concern.
If you like the draw cycle of the SS34, you should try the Darton Sequel 33. I believe the new archery shop in Red Deer has a couple in stock
Old 04-04-2024, 11:11 PM

Would you say that it is equal or better?
How does it hold on target? Right now I am debating between the SS34 and the Prime rvx.
Old 04-09-2024, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Would you say that it is equal or better?
How does it hold on target? Right now I am debating between the SS34 and the Prime rvx.
The hold on target is as good or better than Matthews, which I believe might be the best on the market for a hunting bow. I just can't like the Matthews draw for some reason.

The draw of the Sequel is very similar to the SS34 in comfort mode. Does not stack or dump hard into the valley. Just very smooth from start to finish. I haven't chrono'ed it yet, but every report and test online has it meeting or exceeding the 335 IBO; so it is a little faster than the SS34 in comfort mode. The machining and finish on the Sequel is top notch and the lower stabilizer mount with stubby (like hoyt) is a nice option. I am actually running hoyt go sticks with the Sequel and they work perfectly.

The biggest differences is that the SS34 has the dead lock system and the Sequel still uses shims for tuning. The dead lock is definitely an easier and nicer system to work with. But I wouldn't rule out the RVX either. I have shot the Revex and they are an awesome bow. If you want to try an RVX, you should head to Lawrence's new shop in Spruce Grove.
Old 04-09-2024, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
The hold on target is as good or better than Matthews, which I believe might be the best on the market for a hunting bow. I just can't like the Matthews draw for some reason.

The draw of the Sequel is very similar to the SS34 in comfort mode. Does not stack or dump hard into the valley. Just very smooth from start to finish. I haven't chrono'ed it yet, but every report and test online has it meeting or exceeding the 335 IBO; so it is a little faster than the SS34 in comfort mode. The machining and finish on the Sequel is top notch and the lower stabilizer mount with stubby (like hoyt) is a nice option. I am actually running hoyt go sticks with the Sequel and they work perfectly.

The biggest differences is that the SS34 has the dead lock system and the Sequel still uses shims for tuning. The dead lock is definitely an easier and nicer system to work with. But I wouldn't rule out the RVX either. I have shot the Revex and they are an awesome bow. If you want to try an RVX, you should head to Lawrence's new shop in Spruce Grove.
This is what got me into this "mess" in the first place. Lawrence let me try one of his new RVXs and I got the archery bug again and am looking to get back into archery and bow hunting. I might just grab an RVX as I really like them.
Old 04-10-2024, 09:56 AM

The Bowtech SS34 is the best bow they’ve ever made in my opinion. It holds rock solid, is super smooth to draw and has little to no vibration. The dead lock cams enable to you paper tune and broadhead tune the bow with a set of Allen Keys. I had serving separation with my stock strings and then put on a set of Fire Wire strings (Canadian made). I shot this bow for hunting last September and October. After that it turned into my 3D bow for winter and will continue as my 3D bow this summer. I have probably 4000+ shots on my fire wire strings and have absolutely 0 serving separations. I don’t know what Joel does to his strings but they are amazing. The SS34 is a do it all now. I got 2nd at indoor 3D nationals Hunter class with it and then killed a couple elk in the fall with it. I was getting 283 FPS with 71 lbs, 30” draw, 448 grain arrow in comfort mode.

My hope is they come out with a Gen 2 of this bow that has grip lock, time lock and centre mass technologies.

I will say it again, by far my favourite Bowtech bow ever and I’ve had the Realm, Revolt, Revolt XL, SR350 and Core SR
Old 04-10-2024, 03:49 PM

Quote:
This is what got me into this "mess" in the first place. Lawrence let me try one of his new RVXs and I got the archery bug again and am looking to get back into archery and bow hunting. I might just grab an RVX as I really like them.
Haha... Lawrence can have that effect on people.
Old 04-25-2024, 08:35 AM

This is a great review. I have been looking at a new Bow and this was on the list. I debated between this and the Lift. I currently have a Realm. Its been amazing. No complaints at all, other then I iwsh it was a 70lb bow instead of 60. Did you find there was much difference? It seems almost every feature on this bow is also on the Realm (Clutch Grip, Flip Disk, Flex Cable Guard, etc...) other then the dead lock cams. Any other feedback on this bow?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
The Bowtech SS34 is the best bow they’ve ever made in my opinion. It holds rock solid, is super smooth to draw and has little to no vibration. The dead lock cams enable to you paper tune and broadhead tune the bow with a set of Allen Keys. I had serving separation with my stock strings and then put on a set of Fire Wire strings (Canadian made). I shot this bow for hunting last September and October. After that it turned into my 3D bow for winter and will continue as my 3D bow this summer. I have probably 4000+ shots on my fire wire strings and have absolutely 0 serving separations. I don’t know what Joel does to his strings but they are amazing. The SS34 is a do it all now. I got 2nd at indoor 3D nationals Hunter class with it and then killed a couple elk in the fall with it. I was getting 283 FPS with 71 lbs, 30” draw, 448 grain arrow in comfort mode.

My hope is they come out with a Gen 2 of this bow that has grip lock, time lock and centre mass technologies.

I will say it again, by far my favourite Bowtech bow ever and I’ve had the Realm, Revolt, Revolt XL, SR350 and Core SR