Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-01-2009, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Default Using the new tag system

Thought I would shed some light on the "online" licence purchasing and tagging system now in effect.

First off, if you are going to purchase a licence online you will need a valid credit card, an email address, access to a computer with an internet connection, and a printer to print your licences. All of your online purchases will be made at www.albertarelm.com So make sure you register and have an account set up.

If you purchase a licence online that requires a tag(s), you must use an online paper tag. This is a paper tag identical to the one you currently get when you purchase your licence at a licence issuer (it should be noted that you can still purchase a licence and receive a tag at a licence issuer if you wish - you do not have to purchase online if you don't want to).

Below is what the online tag looks like.

You can pick up an online tag(s) at any Fish and Wildlife District office or Licence Issuers free of charge, or at any of the following locations:

In Edmonton:
Alberta Professional Outfitters Society
3802 - 49 Ave #100, Stony Plain, AB
780-414-0249

Alberta Hunter Education
#88, 4003-98 Street Edmonton, AB
780-466-6682

Alberta Fish and Game Association
6924-104 Street Edmonton, AB
780-437-2342

Information Centre Main Floor
9920-108 Street Edmonton, AB
780-422-2079

Sports Scene Publications
10450 - 174 Street Edmonton, AB
780-413-0331

In Sherwood Park:
Alberta Conservation Association
101-9 Chippewa Road Sherwood Park, AB
780-410-1999

In Calgary:
Alberta Hunter Education
911 Sylvester Cr. SW Calgary, AB
403-252-8474

You will need the online tag before you can purchase a licence at www.albertarelm.com.

The online paper tag(s) contain a unique 10 digit tag number. You are required to enter it when making your purchase at www.albertarelm.com.

Print your licence once your purchase is complete. You do not need to wait for a licence to be mailed to you or go to another location to pick it up. If you lose your online licence, you can reprint the licence online at no cost.

Now all you have to do to activate your tag is fill in the blanks on the tag - Species, your WIN and your Name. Your licence (printed from www.albertarelm.com) will reflect the tag number you entered when you purchased your licence(s). This is why you need your online tag before making a licence purchase. Make sure the information you enter on your tag reflects the licence you purchased e.g; white-tailed deer, moose, elk etc.

If you are successful in harvesting an animal you purchased a licence for, then just apply your tag to the animal the same way you did in the past - with a wire. If you don't have a wire you can use just about anything as long as the tag is secured to the animal as stated in the hunting regulations under "Tagging".

If you have extra online tags do not throw them away, they can be used next year.

All yellow tags are no longer valid - only the "new" green tags can be used.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by admin; 03-14-2019 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:16 PM

That's great. I was wondering how they would deal with purchasing hunting licence online, after I purchased my fishing licence online. Hopefully one day they can get rid of all the paper we have to carry ( other than the tags maybe) and the F&W guys can carry those little wireless debit type machines and just swipe you win card to see all the licence we have purchased.

Maybe in the future

Thanks for the Info Rob.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:43 PM

great idea, had those issued to me last year. if they can only figure out a better system than those "some time stick tags" tagging a bull moose in 3' of wet snow and wind is no fun with those things. always carry a roll of some kind of tape. my F+W buddy told me, might save a bogus charge.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:34 PM

Default Tags

I agree, I get frustrated with all the tags we have to carry and just wish it was attached to your win card and as you suggested they carry a debit like system and swipe your card to see your license. Same as fishing licenses, you should be able to purchase your fishing license for the five years your win card is good for, of course if they go up from year to year they lose a bit but It would be better than buying every year, and same here if they could swipe your card to see if you have a fishing license. real pain, if Im in the boat I have to carry my license, same if Im out fly fishing a river or if Im in the pontoon boat. I dont carry my purse so my license goes around and around. I learned the hard way as I was up the Blackstone ready to go fish and realised I left my license in the boat, I had to drive to Nordegg for a reprint, I now purchase reprints and keep 1 in my tackle box, 1 in my waders and one in the boat. Alas what a pain.....
Old 06-06-2009, 07:32 PM

You seem like you're the type that should purchase online, then print it 10 times. Save you money on reprints.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:08 AM

I think I may be a little confused on this and this may be a dumb question but what is stopping a guy to print off ten tags and write in whatever he wants and shoot 10 whitetails or whatever he wants. It seems that unless a fish cop actually checks the numbers out then a guy can do whatever he wants. Am I wrong here? I can't see a fish cop running all the numbers on his computer to see if the guy actually has the tag he says he has. I just wonder if this is the best system or not. What do you guys think. Maybe it is all good and I just need to edumacate myself a little more on how this all works
Old 09-24-2009, 10:48 PM

I'm still confused.
At the relm site, I need tags before I can get a license.
Isn't that backwards?
How do I get tags?
Old 09-25-2009, 12:02 AM

^^^
You can pick up an online tag(s) at any Fish and Wildlife District office free of charge
Old 12-21-2009, 10:57 PM

It's pretty easy to use, this is the second year I've used it and it seems to work out well, specially with entering in draws and what not, don't have to waste any time on the phone.
The only problem I run into is that they only sent two orange tags in the mail so I ended up going to Canadian Tire to get my tags, which wasn't too bad, it was on the way out of town. I like the fact that you can reprint the licences, I swear I have a copy of my wildlife certificate EVERYWHERE!
I don't think they'll ever get rid of having to tag your game, what would stop someone from shooting two or more animals on one licence if there were no tags?
Another thing I like is that the albertarelm site shows you your past draw priorities. Very cool!
Old 12-22-2009, 06:57 AM

I found the new system and tags easy to use. Did have to write SRD for extra tags but they arrived in plenty of time. Nice and convenient.

One thing I imagine now is that every poacher must get a mitt-full of blank tags and just fill them out with phoney info and then tag the game they bag. If the numbers are checked they would turn up phoney, but to the average hunter who may run across them, or the F&W officer who doesn't check, they will look like they are law-abiding and legit hunters. The F&W officer who checked on me after I'd tagged my white-tail this year didn't check the numbers on the tag against any record in the system.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:34 PM

Seems to me that since I am at wholesale sports or Canadian Tire several times pre-season, it would just be easier to buy them there. License, tags, wire, done. Plus like several people commented they never send enough tags for a guy that hunts a lot of species. If you have to go to F & W anyway why not just buy the tags there. Seems like a few people might be able to use the new system but Im stickin to buying them the old fashion way!
Old 08-07-2012, 03:11 PM

anyone can buy these tags? you don't have to be drawn?
Old 10-07-2012, 05:51 PM

is there anywhere i can get tag paper online for this year?
Old 10-07-2012, 05:55 PM

Check any stores that had the draw application books. They come with 4 tags, or call F&W and pick up from them on ask where you can get em in your area
Old 10-07-2012, 07:07 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Is there anywhere online for them? I waited too long and am hunting tomorrow. Rookie mistake I know.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:30 PM

So, if I buy a license online do I HAVE to buy online tags?

or can I buy the license online and then buy tags at a vendor?

is it one way or the other? or can you combine an online license with a store bought tag?
Old 10-30-2012, 09:52 AM

Thanks for the info Rob. I made good use of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miskosky View Post
Thought I would shed some light on the "online" licence purchasing and tagging system now in effect.

First off, if you are going to purchase a licence online you will need a valid credit card, an email address, access to a computer with an internet connection, and a printer to print your licences. All of your online purchases will be made at www.albertarelm.com So make sure you register and have an account set up.

If you purchase a licence online that requires a tag(s), you must use an online paper tag. This is a paper tag identical to the one you currently get when you purchase your licence at a licence issuer (it should be noted that you can still purchase a licence and receive a tag at a licence issuer if you wish - you do not have to purchase online if you don't want to).

Below is what the online tag looks like. If you applied in the draws, these tags (4) will be inserted into your draw booklet that you will receive in the mail, but only if you applied in the draws in the past. (It should be noted that 2011 is the last year that your draw book and tags will be mailed to you).

You can also pick up an online tag(s) at any Fish and Wildlife District office free of charge, or at any of the following locations:

In Edmonton:
Alberta Professional Outfitters Society
#103, 6030-88 Street Edmonton, AB
780-414-0249

Alberta Hunter Education
#88, 4003-98 Street Edmonton, AB
780-466-6682

Alberta Fish and Game Association
6924-104 Street Edmonton, AB
780-437-2342

Information Centre Main Floor
9920-108 Street Edmonton, AB
780-422-2079

Sports Scene Publications
#100, 10642-178 Street Edmonton, AB
780-413-0331

In Sherwood Park:
Alberta Conservation Association
101-9 Chippewa Road Sherwood Park, AB
780-410-1999

In Calgary:
Alberta Hunter Education
911 Sylvester Cr. SW Calgary, AB
403-252-8474

You will need the online tag before you can purchase a licence at www.albertarelm.com.

The online paper tag(s) contain a unique 10 digit tag number. You are required to enter it when making your purchase at www.albertarelm.com.

Print your licence once your purchase is complete. You do not need to wait for a licence to be mailed to you or go to another location to pick it up. If you lose your online licence, you can reprint the licence online at no cost.

Now all you have to do to activate your tag is fill in the blanks on the tag - Species, your WIN and your Name. Your licence (printed from www.albertarelm.com) will reflect the tag number you entered when you purchased your licence(s). This is why you need your online tag before making a licence purchase. Make sure the information you enter on your tag reflects the licence you purchased e.g; white-tailed deer, moose, elk etc.

If you are successful in harvesting an animal you purchased a licence for, then just apply your tag to the animal the same way you did in the past - with a wire. If you don't have a wire you can use just about anything as long as the tag is secured to the animal as stated in the hunting regulations under "Tagging".

If you have extra online tags do not throw them away, they can be used next year.

All orange tags are no longer valid - only the "new" yellow tags can be used from this season (2011) forward.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:10 PM

Default Laminating paper licenses

Does anyone know if you are allowed to laminate the paper licenses? ( Not the tag, the license ) Since it is just a piece of regular paper, I am a little concerned about possible damage due to snow or rain when pulling it out of my pack to confirm which tag coincides with the corresponding license. Having it laminated would be an essay solution. I was told the old computer printed licenses could not be laminated because the paper would not hold up to the heat when laminated and would melt. This would not be the case with just regular paper so I can't see it being a problem. Any know for sure?
Old 09-04-2014, 08:43 PM
Banned

after reading all the horror stories about the new tag system im going right to F&W when i get into the city from work on Tuesday, getting my November hunting licenses early
Old 09-09-2014, 01:09 PM
Banned

i have a question so on the print out of the tags it says for example Resident White-tailed deer license & then when you go to print on the tag it says Species. Do i have to print "Resident White-tailed deer license" or do i just print
"White-tailed Deer"
Old 09-12-2014, 12:06 PM

So what's stopping people from using the same licence # on multiple tags?
Old 09-17-2014, 06:39 PM

Terrible system with lots of problems. I ordered my tags online this year to be delivered in the mail. I always buy them at vendors but this year I thought I would be smart and order them in the mail so I could just buy the tags with Alberta Relm online as I needed them.

So about 3.5 weeks ago I order some tags to be mailed out to me. It says to expect them in 3-5 business days.

1 week later they still hadn't arrived, so I called them. They said "Oh yeah, we can see your order. Not sure why they haven't been sent." So they said they would resend the tags.

Fast forward 2.5 weeks later to today and the tags have still not arrived. I called them tonight and they guy said "Yeah, I see you ordered the tags twice. For some reason they haven't been sent." I grumbled a bit on the phone and he said why don't I just go buy them at a vendor?

Yeah, good solution pal. I KNOW I can buy the tags at a vendor, but that's not the point. If they offer this service, they should be able to deliver on it.

Anyway, he said he will issue a 3rd order.

Rant almost over, but not quite!

Having lived in MB for 6 years, I can say that although there system was pretty outdated and archaic (all old school paper tags you have to buy at vendors), at least it was reliable and they didn't make promises they couldn't keep.

Come on Alberta, you can do better than that!
Old 09-19-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falltimeprimetime View Post
So what's stopping people from using the same licence # on multiple tags?
Because that's not how it works....that's why

Once the tag number is entered in the system....it becomes an invalid number and you cannot purchase another tag with the same number....they are all individually serialized.

LC
Old 11-11-2015, 09:44 PM

I got drawn for the cow elk hunt in January 13th-16th. I was thinking that the license meant only 1 tag, now I am hearing that it is for 2 tags. I picked up my deer tag at Canadian Tire and they only gave me 1 tag. Which is correct, 1 or 2 tags for cow elk??
Old 11-14-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEXUSJAKE View Post
I got drawn for the cow elk hunt in January 13th-16th. I was thinking that the license meant only 1 tag, now I am hearing that it is for 2 tags. I picked up my deer tag at Canadian Tire and they only gave me 1 tag. Which is correct, 1 or 2 tags for cow elk??
Should be two tags, I called F&W in medicine Hat and they confirmed two tags for Cow Elk On Suffield.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:14 PM

If you frequent any of the licensing places. Just grab some there too. I was at Canadian tire and they gave me them for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk