Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-14-2019, 04:40 PM

Default New left bolt in $500 range, is there such a thing?

Hey all, we’ll i made a huge mistake, I taught my girlfriend how to shoot. Not really a mistake I guess but we both found out she has to pay the “left hand tax”, cause she’s left eye dominant.
Wondering if anyone has any input on new left hand rifles with wooden stocks not exceeding $500. She loves the look of wood and I’d like to get her a rifle she enjoys.
She has a .243 Remington SPS in a left compact that she really enjoys but she would like a wooden stock.
I’ve looked at Cabela’s and a few other gun dealer sites but can’t really find much.
Has anyone found any hidden jems that might fit the description?
Thoughts?
Old 03-14-2019, 05:16 PM

An option is to buy a wood stock if she still likes her 243,,, it would come in less than that after its fitted to.

Chris in Calgary can make one specific to her fit on top of that.

Then she would really be styling.

Only a thought if something like that works.

Kinda like options to think about.

Cheers
Old 03-14-2019, 07:13 PM

Who is Chris and do you have contact info? That Remington she has can group quarters at 100 yards with handloads. She is a really great shot.
Be nice to have a larger caliber for moose. Plus you can never have to many toys lol
Old 03-14-2019, 09:43 PM

I don't have his number with me, but it's good to chat with him direct to get "Exactly" what your looking for.

It dosen't take him long to build one since he has all the tools to make some pretty nice stocks.

I'm getting him to build me a M40 A1 stock for me this summer,,, there a bit more pricey then the regular hunter class stocks... All of his workmanship is spectacular,,, and he can make some pretty awesome in-lays or make things out of different kinds of hard woods.

http://www.mcrstactical.com/

👍
Old 03-15-2019, 08:29 AM

I am left handed. You will not find a wood stocked left handed rifle for $500 new. Even Zastava are almost $800, I own a couple, great guns and about the cheapest LH wood stocked version you can find. You are also not likely to find a left hand wood stocked rifle used for that price. I would save a little longer because a synthetic stocked Axis or Ruger American with a wood stock add-on from Boyds or MCRS is going to be over your price point.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:08 AM

Default Left and right

Interesting, because I myself am very left-handed and have also sought lefty rifles for years now.

However, she need not necessarily shoot a lefty gun. Any modern bolt action rifle is usually safe to fire and reload, and the bonus of shooting from the left shoulder is that you can SEE into the action as you reload, so you can also see how much ammo you have left! As an example, I now shoot a new righty Savage B17 in .17 HMR - works fine!

Lever-action guns are also great, work fine for left or right, especially lever-action guns that eject out the top, like a Winchester 92 or repros. If you go to Cabela's gun library in Calgary, they have a very nice NEW Browning BLR lever-action deer rifle for less than $800! I'd buy it, but I'm more of a rimfire and shotgun shooter. On the used side, keep a lookout for an old Savage Model 99 - great old steel-and-wood lever gun, perfect for a lefty, prices are reasonable, and thousands of deer have been dropped by them.

Semi-auto self-loading rifles are not so good, because a lot of brass goes whizzing past your face LOL. Some however are made left-handed, such as the .22 cal Savage model 64, which is under $200 new and one great shooter, if you can get over the plastic stock. One clip, she'll get over it! And it's so good for target training Lol...

Break-action single-shots, such as the Ruger No. 1 are great, perfect for either left or right shooters. The No. 1 is a bit pricey, though. I just bought a vintage BSA Martini-action .220 rifle for $700, works fine, kind of a scaled-down Martini action for target shooting. The wood stock is gorgeous, and so is the steel action!

In the shotgun line, if you go that way, have a good look at the Browning BPS shotguns. Excellent shooters, reasonable price, and they eject out the bottom, so no worry about brass whizzing by your nose. The old Ithaca Model 37 shotguns are the same way, plus generally low prices and lots of old-time steel-and-wood cachet.

Anyway, enjoy the "hunt" for lefty rifles. A good place to check out in Calgary is Proline Shooters (www.prolineshooters.com) on 9 Ave SE. Their website has several lefty rifles, and they have a nice selection of used ones in the store.

Also have a look at the guns at
Dante Sports in Montreal (www.dantesports.com/en/)
Reliable Gun in Vancouver (www.reliablegun.com), and
Prophet River Firearms (www.prophetriver.com).

Rick
Old 03-15-2019, 09:17 AM

Default prices

If you happen to find a gun at a gun show, please note the final sale prices tend to be some 75% of the asking price. So if asking $600 for example, you could negotiate it down to $450. Or so.

Another benefit is that you won't have to pay sales tax!
Old 03-15-2019, 07:09 PM

Default Browning at Tradeex

Whoops, while I was driving today I remembered about Tradeex - I've bought from them, no worries, they sell good stuff, including this:

https://www.tradeexcanada.com/conten...eft-hand-30-06

Very nice lefty Browning lever rifle for $549, and the 30-06 will punch down pretty much anything. Bit of a kick to the shoulder, though. Wear (or knit!) a shoulder shooting pad!

While you're at Tradeex though, have a look at the righty Husqvarna rifles, good shooters for well under $500. 243 or 270 are good, and the Swedish 6.5 x 55 is an older round that now fits modern long-range shooting lol!

Tradeex also has all the ammo you might need, as well.

Last edited by TargetRick; 03-15-2019 at 07:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-15-2019, 07:33 PM

Buy a Boyds stock and put her .243 in it.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-16-2019, 10:12 AM

X2 on finding something left handed in the price range you listed with a wooden stock, even used Remington and Savage’s exceed your price.

Re-stock(Boyd’s, MCRS)
Or.
Re evaluate your budget.

There are no absolutes